Has anyone tried the HCG Diet and had success?

Options
I recently started this and am feeling discouraged and wondered if anyone has tried it and felt the same? Any pointers?

Replies

• Karyannie
    Options
    As a professional health and wellness nurse I have to tell you that this diet is not effective for long-term weight loss, nor is there any science based evidence that it is safe.

Hcg, human chorionic gonadotropin, is a hormone produced by the placenta during pregnancy. HCG has not been approved by the Food and Drug Administration for treatment of overweight or obesity.
    Weight loss that occurs from the Hcg diet is most likely attributed to the extreame caloric restriction (500 cals) rather than the actual Hcg itself. This caloric restriction is well below the prescribed calorie intake recommended by any medical or dietary professional for healthy weight loss.
    Headache, irritability, fatigue and male breast enlargement are some of the side effects of HCG. HCG injections can also cause a condition called ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome, a life-threatening condition in women. HCG is approved by the FDA as a fertility drug so often women using this drug off-lable for weight loss will end up pregnant, and the chances of having twins or multiples is much increased, so beware if you are not using a barrier method of birth control.

No reputable doctor will prescribe Hcg for weight loss, and be wary, VERY WARY of any medication or suppliment you can buy over the internet.

For medically accurate information I suggest you check some of these sites:
    MayoClinic.com: Does the HCG diet work --- and is it safe?
    American Society of Bariatric Physicians: ASBP Position On: Use of HCG in the Treatment of Obesity
    "British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology": The effect of human chorionic gonadotropin (HCG) in the treatment of obesity
    Drugs.com: HCG
    Diet Scam Watch: HCG Worthless as Weight-Loss Aid

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/278301-what-are-the-dangers-of-hcg-injections/#ixzz1HZGCteLG

Eat responsibly, get active, and be patient. It will work. Work with a dietitian if you need additional help.
    Wishing you healthy success!
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    A lot of the weight you lose with HCG is muscle, which is REALLY bad, because muscle is your body's fat burning mechanism. So once you've reached your goal weight and are no longer eating just the 500 calories/day, you're probably going to gain the weight back because you've lost so much muscle mass and your body can't burn off the excess. I personally think it's just another over-priced fad weight loss gimmick.