I don't know what's wrong with me...

Options
but I'm actually starting to enjoy exercise... Especially my treadmill. Crazy, I know. My problem is eating back my exercise calories. I don't want to eat things just to get to my calorie goal when they may not be the best choices. Also, I'm really short. 4ft 10in and I don't have a heart rate monitor to know exactly what I'm burning/what I need. I don't see getting one in the very near future either.

My question is this: Is it better to lighten up on the excercise so I can stay closer to my net calories?

Replies

• 85specialk
    Options
    i know, once you get into the whole exercising routine it gets fun! i wear a hrm and i love seeing the improvement in my fitness - the numbers are definitely a motivator! in terms of weight loss, once you see that number shrink on the scale i get all the more invested in it. mfp is definitely a great website!!
  • Twanna69
    Twanna69 Posts: 8
    Options
    I am experiencing the same problem I have gained the 2lbs back that I lost last week. I am now starting to get discourage. I walk twice a day and I stay under my calorie goal. Am I eating the wrong things? Maybe i should just reduce my calorie intake to or watch my carbs. Any suggestions I feel the last 12-15lbs is the hardest thing to lose.
  • VialOfDreams
    Options
    The calorie goal shows you how much you need to consume to maintain your weight. If you want to lose weight, you need a calorie deficit. People generally eat back about half their "earned" calories.
  • CallMeMamaBoo
    Options
    I struggle with the same and would love to hear what others think.

Logically, to me, you should never cut back on exercise if you are willing to put that much exercise in. So I would assume that changing your diet would be the answer. I've added things like peanut butter and protein shakes and nut/fruit/seed snack mixes to my diet to help get in those added calories and it really seems to be helping me. Also! You could probably drink a glass a milk to help positively bumping up the calories. Some days I'm just not hungry to get them all in and I don't feel bad about that. My body is telling me it's had enough and I listen!!! There are definitely days tho that I am super hungry all day long and I just keep on with the healthy snacking and drinking water.
  • 85specialk
    Options
    oops forgot to answer your question.

if you try to eat calorie rich food as apposed to large volumes of food to get those extra exercise calorie in, that might be a good idea. i say exercise as much as you feel like! it's definitely doing your body and mind good!
  • xmelanieg
    xmelanieg Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey girl, loving the exercise is great!! :) You can take your own heart rate after a great cardio workout without a heart rate monitor. If you know how to locate your pulse, count the beats and time it (I do it for 10 seconds at a time) and then multiply to find out the beats per minute. The machines I use track mine for me, and I aim around 170bpm...but it's not difficult to do on your own. It's natural that your appetite increases when you work out, but I would say to stick with it. Even if you are eating back calories, you are building muscle and more muscle = faster metabolism. Good luck!
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Only lighten up on the exercise if you feel the physical need to. If you're starting to enjoy it, ride the wave of happiness. Too many people stop short and curtail their progress.

You might be over-estimating calories burned (mfp tends to do that with some exercises). Try to eat back at least half of your exercise cals and see how you feel. Things like nuts, dried fruit, granola, avocado, and veggie crunchers are easy ways to up your intake without feeling stuffed.
  • sassyg
    sassyg Posts: 393
    Options
    The calorie goal shows you how much you need to consume to maintain your weight. If you want to lose weight, you need a calorie deficit. People generally eat back about half their "earned" calories.

No, the calorie goal shows you how much you need to eat to lose the amount of weight you selected (without dropping below 1200). It is NOT a maintenence amount. Maintenence would be 500-1000 calories higher than this for most people.
  • Zaggytiddies
    Zaggytiddies Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Thanks a lot guys! That's what I was thinking I just get so overwhelmed by the numbers it gets discouraging. I haven't even stopped losing it's just coming off slow. I'm almost two months in and just about 10 pounds down. Slow and steady wins the race though huh?
  • Hinto
    Hinto Posts: 52
    Options
    Thanks a lot guys! That's what I was thinking I just get so overwhelmed by the numbers it gets discouraging. I haven't even stopped losing it's just coming off slow. I'm almost two months in and just about 10 pounds down. Slow and steady wins the race though huh?

I think 5 pounds a month is awesome, you're doing perfectly IMO. I wouldn't eat back calories just for the sake of doing so. Your body will tell you if you're hungry. At least you have some room to manoeuvre, I work out and still go over my limit :ohwell:.