Protein Shakes

Options
I would like to hear from anyone who has actually been told by any health care professional that they should use protein shakes while they are attempting to lose weight.
I have done a tremendous amount of research on this topic and do not know why people are doing this and telling other people that they should do it.

Replies

• pchann
    pchann Posts: 84
    Options
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I don't know why people on here are telling others to, as I have said before on here, most people in the Western world eat far too much protein.

I have just got some for myself, though, as being a vegetarian, I am not getting enough protein in my diet for the amount of exercise I am currently doing, and have really burned myself out today. I am hoping that a few days of rest and higher protein will help my muscles to repair.

Irritatingly, my husband working in the triathlon industry, he has got me a load of recovery shakes, which are high carb, which is the last thing I need, so tomorrow I am going to get some whey instead.

I certainly don't think meat eaters should be having extra protein.
  • waverly9876
    waverly9876 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    My personal trainer told me I could have protein shakes but NOT with milk. She said that if I get calcium from other sources, than adding milk will add weight. I dont drink protein shakes but I do have the mix and will prob make them this summer but with water and fruits.
  • SlimmingSarah
    Options
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE my protein shakes! I have them in the morning as breakfast with full cream milk (Don't like the sugar in lite milk) and it keeps me well and truely full til lunch time.

EDIT: Bearing in mind, my shakes are designed for womens weightloss and have practically no carbs and only 90 calories (then add the milk cals).
  • Wrldsbstmmy
    Options
    That link is really just talking about having bypass surgery, and weight loss drinks that have some protein in them, not about the high protein mixes that people are using incorrectly. But thanks.
  • Kennedy946
    Kennedy946 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I haven't done much research myself but when I was working with a personal trainer he recommended a whey protein shake in the morning or after intense circuit training. At first I was hesitant, but whey protein really helps curb my appetite. It is low calorie, high in protein to curb hunger and also helps with muscle repair, and there are a lot of vitamins and minerals as well.

I think the big myth around this subject is the amount of protein people need. I think people usually over estimate. MFP does a good job of helping me keep track of this. There are also a lot of different kinds of proteins too, all of which have different affects on your body and your appetite as well. Casein protein for example is digested slower than whey and therefore releases amino acids slower into your bloodstream. For this reason, some say its the better choice to take before bed to help build new muscle tissue. Cottage cheese has casein protein for example. Whey protein is released more quickly and is great for the mornings or after workouts when you need to replenish quickly .

I don't think protein shakes are a miracle drink, but I do think its a convenient and quick way to get nutrients while controlling your calorie intake.

Not sure if that helps at all.
  • jenomaha
    jenomaha Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Here's another article:

http://www.webmd.com/diet/protein-shakes

I take 100% whey protein powder and it only has 4 g of carbs...I love it :)
  • monylove311
    monylove311 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    http://exercise.about.com/cs/nutrition/a/protein_2.htm

I looked mine up and came up with a range of 59 - 74. 59 sedentary and 74 exercising or ill.

FYI only.

I love jay robb egg protein with fruit and ice or with almond milk and fruit. yumo! I love it. I feel full and satisfied.