Heart rate moniter sent different numbers to the watch than

dave4d
dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
I did a workout the other day with my heart rate moniter on. The machine was reading from the chest strap, and giving me about 20 or 30 bps higher than the watch was telling me. I was also getting a higher calorie reading on the machine, than the watch.(Probably due to the higher pulse rate). I moved to the treadmill after about 20 minutes, and for part of it the watch wasn't reading at all, but the machine was reading the numbers fine.

Do they work against each other? Should I take the numbers off the machine, or watch? I tend to feel the machine was giving me a more accurate reading, due to the fact that by the watch I would have been putting in a minimal effort, when I was struggling, sweating, and breathing hard. Why would the watch get different numbers off the belt than the machine was getting?

Replies

• Levedi
    Levedi Posts: 290 Member
    You can't use both at the same time. Probably neither reading was accurate - the machine is trying to read from two different sources and the watch is getting interference from the machine and the other machines around it. I gave up trying to use my watch at the gym. You might try just wearing the chest strap and see if that works.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Hmm, probably was interference. 20-30 beats per minute difference? Last time I wore my polar strap with the watch AND the treadmill display, the calorie burn was reported a bit differently, but the measured heartrates were within 1 or 2 beats of each other.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Maybe I'll try to leave the watch in the locker room. It was a cheaper heart rate moniter. I only paid about $50 for it.