My Cat is on a Diet

Options
Levedi
Levedi Posts: 290 Member
And boy is he mad about it. I realized I was in the habit of letting him steal scraps off the dirty plate after I was done eating. The second I get up from the table he jumps up and attacks the plate. So tonight I took the plate into the kitchen, scraped it into the garbage and washed it immediately. He followed me into the kitchen yowling at me. It was like he was screaming "Mine! That's mine. I want that alfredo sauce!" He finally gave up when I put the plate in the dish drainer.

I tried to explain that pasta and alfredo sauce is not good for kitties, but he doesn't believe me. ;)

Replies

• believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Haha, my dog is too! She's only 5lbs, so I sometimes forget how much that "tiny" piece of cheese or chicken really CAN affect her. My kitty is a squishy, comfy 12lbs though -- winter insultation we call it !! :laugh:
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Those table scraps really do add up. It can also be very embarrassing when you have company for dinner and the cat doesn't realise that there is alone with the family behavior and company behavior, and the two are NOT the same...
  • Sharbysyd
    Sharbysyd Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    One of my cats is on a diet too. We've been gradually cutting back on his food so he doesn't get Fatty Lipidosis. He hasn't been happy about it. He's much more lively now though. Before he used to sleep all the time and now he's more active.

Sharon
  • RocketsGirl75
    Options
    LMAO!! We have a monster that resides at our house too! we had to stop feeding him wet food and when we did he got pissed!! he start pushing his food bowl off the ledge and straight into the floor! he even "cussed" us out a time or two!! LOL!!

:laugh:
  • sisterlilbunny
    sisterlilbunny Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Ugh after Ms Kitty got diabetes and had to go on a special diet I swear she got even sneakier! If I put a dish on the table and turn away you can bet your buttons that I'll turn back and find her there. They're good that way...
  • RocketsGirl75
    Options
    Those table scraps really do add up. It can also be very embarrassing when you have company for dinner and the cat doesn't realise that there is alone with the family behavior and company behavior, and the two are NOT the same...

Ok this has nothing to do with your reply which LOL! but your quote and picture....LMFAO!! my best friend and I have an ongoing joke about a monkey named chimchim! Sorry but your quote and picture just made me roll!!!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    My dog's on a diet, too. She now eats fish and vegetables. And I've even included her on the Wii Fit -- she hates that!
  • antfefe6
    antfefe6 Posts: 32
    Options
    My cat eats when ever a human does. He is a big boy...literally!!
  • antfefe6
    antfefe6 Posts: 32
    Options
    My cat has NEVER had human food and hates fish flavored anything...
  • frostiegurl
    frostiegurl Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    My cat, the one in my ticker, is a beggar extraordinaire. She got in the habit of begging when my boyfriend would offer her milk from his cereal in the morning. Now, anytime she hears the sound of a utensil against a bowl she comes running. Of course, this now translates into her always coming to the table (and then jumping up on it) whenever anyone is sitting at the table to eat a meal. Most of the time she leaves sulking and takes it out on our other kitty(the one wearing bunny ears) by smacking him upside the head when she walks by him. She's such a brat sometimes.

A couple of years ago I did discover that her favorite treat in the whole wide world, aside from tuna, are mushrooms. She'll eat them raw or cooked and any mushroom will do.
  • chris0912
    chris0912 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    We lost our almost 18-year old cat in Sept, but before she died, she was on a special diet... to gain weight (only weighed 4 pounds). We were cooking up all kinds of special things for her and adding fish oil to them. We had to feed her small portions once an hour (too much and she'd throw up) and had to rotate her meals between the different things we'd cooked (cuz if she got the same food she'd just had on the last feeding, she wouldn't eat it). She also adopted the habit of climbing onto the table and claiming our dinner plates as her own, while we were still eating! She was just so darn cute (and skinny) that we let her. Our other two cats were insanely jealous and just didn't understand why they couldn't have any! LOL!
  • manda907
    manda907 Posts: 22
    Options
    You could try instead offering Tuna or boiled chicken pieces to the cat (a small amount) when you are clearing plates so they still think they are getting something from you. Or even get some canned cat food, Science Diet or Iams.

My cats (4 of them) currently free-feed but I only buy Iams or Eukanuba for them. One of our cats' fur gets really straw-like if we don't get hairball control food so I buy specific kinds. I also worked in a veterinary clinic (in the back with the doctors and technicians) so I have seen the affects of overweight cats and whatnot. Some foods are okay for them though in moderation, just like us.
  • Levedi
    Levedi Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Oh he gets his little tuna bits and occasional treats still. I'm just not going to let him do things like lick the plate clean after I had shrimp in alfredo sauce. He wants anything I eat really. One time he jumped up on the counter and bit into a pear I had just put down. My other cat won't touch human food. She eats nothing except dry kibble no matter what you offer her.
  • HoopFire5602
    HoopFire5602 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    omg I have to share this. :0 It's not a cat, but it is funny and true about animals eating too much table scraps. Also watch the rest of simons cat videos...they are too funny!

http://www.youtube.com/user/simonscat?blend=1&ob=4#p/u/9/NQCwHluBqFc
  • sisterlilbunny
    sisterlilbunny Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I love Simon's Cat!!! I have a few of his cut outs here at work to annoy the work cats. :D
  • manda907
    manda907 Posts: 22
    Options
    Oh he gets his little tuna bits and occasional treats still. I'm just not going to let him do things like lick the plate clean after I had shrimp in alfredo sauce. He wants anything I eat really. One time he jumped up on the counter and bit into a pear I had just put down. My other cat won't touch human food. She eats nothing except dry kibble no matter what you offer her.

Sounds like your cat doesn't realize that you are the one in charge and not him. :-) I think investing in a water bottle and when it goes to get a plate or the counter, give it a quick squirt. Mine only have to hear the bottle move and they know they did something they aren't suppose to. Cats learn quick but you have to be consistent with them. Give them new toys, or a nice cat tree by a window, something that gets them off of the habit they are on. It can be done, trust me!
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options

Ok this has nothing to do with your reply which LOL! but your quote and picture....LMFAO!! my best friend and I have an ongoing joke about a monkey named chimchim! Sorry but your quote and picture just made me roll!!!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Chimchim is an excellent name for a monkey. My go to baby orangutan name (of course I have a go to baby orangutan name - who doesn't?) is Plumeplume. It just seems to go with their spiky, fuzzy hair.