cant lose weight!!!

Options
okay here is the story. i started at 178.2 lbs. so i start doing zumba, and go running. eating healthier, stop eating brea, cookies, ice cream, candy and so on. I check my weight with my scale, it start saying 175 i was happy. then 173 much happier.. then 175.. then 171 then 173. I dont know what i am doing wrong but i want to be 133 by end of May and like this i dont think i would get there. Any help from you guys will be appreciated.!!!! hope i was clear.

Replies

• McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Losing 20 lbs. a month for 2 months straight is not realistic.

Also, you're bound to fluctuate! Women's bodies go up and down within as much as a 7-lb. range.

Slow down your thoughts a bit and embrace that this is going to take time. :)
  • LittleMissAngi
    LittleMissAngi Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I think you need to expand your goal.

Losing 45 pounds in 2-3 months is way to fast.

Quit stressing over it and it will come off.
  • Noz7
    Noz7 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Its probably just water.
  • nehushtan
    nehushtan Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Open up your diary so we can help you.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    You want to lose 40 pounds by May?

Has someone told you it's almost the end of March?

40 pounds in like... 5 weeks? Are you serious?

What's the rush?? Weight that was gained over months or years isn't going to drop off in a month. You've got to have a little bit of patience.
  • Tiana405
    Tiana405 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    When you work out and your muscles are sore, your muscles have acquired micro tears. Your body will then retain water in the muscle tissue around the muscle fibers in order to aid in recovery and protection. This will affect your scale by being a few lbs heavier, (not of fat), or the needle just won't move, (which is where I'm at). Just stick with it and it WILL work out in your favor!

I'd rather have smaller pants and the scale NEVER move than to have a smaller scale number and the same size pants.

I hope this helps you understand a little bit better. I know it's still hard not to get discouraged, but whatever you do... DON'T QUIT!
  • Tiana405
    Tiana405 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Also, if you set REALISTIC goals, you'll find that it's not such a disappointment. Start with saying you'll lose 5lbs from april1st-may 1st. 5lbs in a month is AWESOME! Very healthy number and will more than likely wouldn't come back! We'd all love to say, "40 lbs by May!"... but it's just not reality.
  • monkeybuttsmommy
    monkeybuttsmommy Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Take measurments instead and dont weigh yourself every day. It will drive you crazy. And I agree with some others that your asking a little too much too quickly. Just keep at it and you will see results.
  • mdesider
    mdesider Posts: 28
    Options
    I think you need to expand your goal.

Losing 45 pounds in 2-3 months is way to fast.

Quit stressing over it and it will come off.

My husband graduation is on June, so i want to look nice by the date. Also my sister is graduating.
  • mdesider
    mdesider Posts: 28
    Options
    okay here is the other part of the story.
    I start loosing weight before my bday february, but i just didn't do zumba like 2 0r 3 days per week.

then by middle march i start focusing more. i know is going to take me a while more than by may. I just want to see more improvement than 6 pounds.

I am just tired of my brother calling me names, my mom wearing the same size as me!!! I see girls my age than are more nice looking. My husband loves me the way i am but i don't. that's a problem.!

i guess i just need someone who could support me more than what i do. Thanks to all the people who post a comment!!
  • Sden1231
    Sden1231 Posts: 61
    Options
    Don't give up! And punch your brother in the face he shouldn't be making fun of you. I'm actually bigger then my mom :( I kno I'll never be smaller then her but I would like to get close! We can help motivate each other!
  • Qpeace
    Qpeace Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    mdesider

Don't give up definitely. Even if you don't lose as much as you think you need to by your deadline, what you will have lost by then will still make a difference.

My daughter in law is graduating with her MBA in May and her mother, who is very elegant, is coming. She hasn't been here since 2006. I know I can't be at my ultimate goal by May but I do know I will be smaller than I was and that counts for something. (Sure wish I could be slim and stunning when I have to see my ex but it isn't going to happen).

For me, I can't set a goal that is too far ahead because if I don't make it I'm completely bummed. So what I try to do is celebrate the progress I've made so far and keep my little mantra going through the week about how far I've come.. not how far I have to go.

My advice? Take each day as it comes, celebrate your progress and realize that even in your short time a smaller number of pounds lost will make a difference in how you look and feel.
  • AmerH
    AmerH Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    "Take it one step at a time" may be an old saying, but it's still true :) You can do this. And you can reach your goal of seeing improvement when your husband and sister graduate. After five or six more weeks of exercising and eating healthy, you WILL look and feel better. It's amazing how food can affect our feelings and thoughts, especially about ourselves. (Don't know if you need this reminder, but you can't just eat junk food for your set calorie intake; most of the time it should be food your body needs.) By June, along with losing some pounds, not only will you see improvement but you'll have more of a sparkle in your eye, you'll like yourself more, plus physically and mentally you'll just plain feel better!

I, too, have a habit of getting caught up on how many pounds I've lost; I'm trying to break out of this. The other day when I saw I had gained two pounds from the day before, I said to myself, "It's ok. I still feel and look better than I did before I started this program. I know it will come."

Here's the link to more support and motivation from the Message Board. Now, Go For It (one step at a time)!!! Good luck. And, yes, I agree with Sden1231: Smack your brother for making fun of you! :grumble: Families are supposed to help one another!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/8-motivation-and-support
  • kevanos
    kevanos Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    You should not measure how good you look just by the scale.

A 200lbs person with 15% body fat looks a lot beter than a 200lbs person with 30% boby fat.

This is what a reasonable objective are:

I want to lose 1-2 lbs per week.
    I want to decrease my body fat %.
    I wan to my clothes to start felling lose.
    I want to feel more energtic.
    I want to be healthier.
    I wan tteh weight I lose to stay off.

To acheive to goa s it will take you longer than 5 weeks. In reality it is a life long objective. Once you learn how to exercise and eat properly you carry that knowledge and those habits with you forever.

Don't give upon your graduation day goals, just change tehm a bit, you can acheive some good results in that time. There is no better time to start then now.
  • Moonpie10
    Options
    I'm an right there with you! I have been working out for about 3 weeks now. I had expected to lose about 1-2 lbs a week. That hasn't happened. I am only down about 2.5lbs. It is really frustrating. However I did find out that the reason why I wasn't losing my weight was because I wasn't eating enough! Such a strange thing to say, but it's true. According the the calorie counter I wasn't intaking enough calories for my body to be able to burn off the fat. So my body was holding onto what it had because it felt like I was starving. Also, be careful with losing too much too fast. It can actually make you sick if you do. 1-2lbs a week is what is recommended as the healthy range to lose per week!

Keep trying! Don't let yourself give up :)
  • ppassine1
    Options
    I know people are getting tired of me suggesting this and some are down right against it, but try reading the book :The Paleo Solution" by Robb Wolfe. It gives you a blueprint for lifestyle change that will shred fat in a very healthy natural way. Its not the easiest to do at first, but there is REAL info in there. He actually lays out meal plans and workouts for 30 days. Then you can decide how you feel. There are tesamonials and everything, but Im sure there were for that old school fat shaker machine too. Its a cheap book and it can change your life for real...sorry for recommending this so much but I truly believe that this is the way to live. I am about 85%-90% Paleo and I feel really great! Good Luck whatever you do end up trying.

I agree with Kevanos by the way, dont look at the scale. Look how your clothes fit and how you feel.

Paul
  • FitFrenchGirl
    Options
    Hunny take one day at a time :) but yes i wouldnt say to push your self to hard on losing weight cause you might just gain it all back after., Im in the same boat ive been working out eatting right. I started at 178. than i got down to 175 than down to 173 and i was so happy...than two days later i weighed myself and i was 177 again.WTH!!!!! i freaked out. about that so what i did I took this challenge to not get on the scale until april 1st...:) you can try that because weighing yourself everyday or every week can be DEPRESSING if your going up and down,and your working so hard...just keep working out eatting healthy. :) you will see improvments :):flowerforyou:

also i know this will sound CRAZy but i drink 12gal of water jug everyday....and ive noticed a difference :) good luck hun
  • chazspk
    chazspk Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    When you work out and your muscles are sore, your muscles have acquired micro tears. Your body will then retain water in the muscle tissue around the muscle fibers in order to aid in recovery and protection. This will affect your scale by being a few lbs heavier, (not of fat), or the needle just won't move, (which is where I'm at). Just stick with it and it WILL work out in your favor!

I'd rather have smaller pants and the scale NEVER move than to have a smaller scale number and the same size pants.

I hope this helps you understand a little bit better. I know it's still hard not to get discouraged, but whatever you do... DON'T QUIT!

Aahhh THANK U....:flowerforyou: