Have you cut out soda and juice?

Options

Replies

• Fattack
    Fattack Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I drink mostly water and peppermint tea, and the occasional glass (not even once a week) of wine / natural fruit juice / diet coke.
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,628 Member
    Options
    I gave up soda over a year ago due to belly issues. Turned up not related, but never went back to it. I will very occasionally have one, but it is a rarity. Since quit smoking it is coffee with honey (1 cup) in the morning, occasional glass of juice, occasionally tea, but mainly water.
  • pinksoldier
    Options
    i'll have a random diet coke every now and then, but i drink a ton of water with those crystal lite packets. not a big juice drinker, but i'll have pomagranite or cranberry juice if i do decide to drink it.
  • denise980
    denise980 Posts: 296
    Options
    Every now and then I will have a soda (but it's a rare occasion and it will be diet). Juice is hard for me to cut out, because I love it so much. It is a great source of vitamin C as well.

I have found that since joining this site I am upping my water intake and for the first time in my life I am getting almost the daily amount of water, which I am really pleased with!
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Definitely NO soda or juice. Lots of water, which I love (most days). I also drink hot teas and iced green tea, plus my 2 cups of coffee every morning!!!!! Soda and juice are such empty calories, not to mention expensive!
  • Jenn728
    Jenn728 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I gave up soda (regular, diet and zero) over a month ago. I drink water, unsweetened tea and sugar-free low cal drink mixes sometimes.
  • StefBeeney
    Options
    If cutting out soda is hard for you, try to figure out why you want thte soda. For my i realized that It wasn't really the soda that I wanted, but the carbonation... so I switched to plain seltzer water and occasionally a flavored one (just make sure the flavored ones are naturally plavored, still zero calories, and don't have any atrificial sweetners in them otherwise you might as well still be drinking the soda)

I tend to drink about a liter of seltzer water a day and the rest is regulat water to get my daily water intake
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    I have an occasional diet soda for the caffeine since I don't drink coffee and tea just doesn't do it for me all the time. I did cut out energy drinks and that was pretty much the hardest thing to quit! And if I am drinking adult beverages I have vodka and sugar free cranberry juice.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I didn't cut out anything. But I never drank juice and only diet soday (Type 1 diabetes). Still, I didn't cut out that diet soda. It feels like a snack, but it is calorie free!
  • bethymay123
    Options
    Before I started down my path here at MFP, I was going through a 12 pack of Dr. Pepper in two days. About a week before I found this site, my 11 year old was diognosed with type one diabeties. That started the whole family thinking more about our food choices.

Now days the only one to drink juice is the baby ( sugar free and watered down). If we want something besides water we drink unsweetened ice tea.

I'm not saying we never drink sodas but now they are a treat. For me when the rest of the family has icecream I treat myself to an iced diet DP.
  • pixietoes
    pixietoes Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    I don't drink juice, it's never been my thing except as a mixer with hard liquor which I'm also abstaining from these days.

I've gone from 2-4 diet cokes a day to 1-2 diet cokes a month. I'm trying to limit artificial sweeteners for health reasons, I've learned I can enjoy many foods and drinks without sugar or sweetener even though I used to think I needed them sweetened. It's gotten to the point that unless I'm eating something very salty I don't care for diet coke at all.

My drinks of choice these days are water, club soda with lime, or unsweet tea depending on what I'm eating and where I am. I do love wine and occasionally have a glass, by and large that's the only time I choose to drink calories.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I'm a rebel. I still drink my 1 soda a day, usually a coke zero with supper, every now and then I don't have one, but that is rare. I also still drink my 2 mugs of coffee (BIG mugs!) in the morning. But with that I usually drink more than 12 cups of water a day too.
  • Jenn728
    Jenn728 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, I forgot...I drink coffee too...but just two small cups.

I LOVE coca cola!!!!! Especially one from a soda machine...so cold and crisp....yum! I had to completely cut them out because 12 ounces wasn't enough...it would turn into 64 ounces quick! It's easiest for me to stop some things than to cut back. :ohwell: I do wish I could have one every now and then.

I've heard stories of people who cut out sodas and lost so much weight...I'm still waiting on that part lol.
  • AmandaR910
    AmandaR910 Posts: 991
    Options
    I still drink a ton of diet coke, but only after my first 8 glasses of water in the mornings (I have 12-16 glasses of water a day).
  • jconnon
    jconnon Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I only drink four things now, not all good but much better than I was doing.
    Water, coffee, beer and wine. Thats it. I was drinking a ton of Crystal Light but stopped that and just water in its place.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I have never drunk soda or juice so no great hardship here, but don't ever make me give up tea.
  • angela828
    angela828 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I mostly drink water (sometimes w lemon) but I very very rarely drink soda or juice. I gave up soda in 2006 and it is the best thing I've ever done. Once in a while I do crave it and have a root beer or diet cherry pepsi or something but afterwards I ALWAYS feel bloated and gross. I've decided to give it up 100% now, aside from ginger ale (to add to my vodka when I drink/go out once a month) I can't even remember the last time I drank a full cup of juice, I drink iced tea maybe once a week or every 2 weeks but seriously it is water all day long. I LOVE the taste of water haha

I recently gave up coffee and went from drinking 1 cup a day to 1 cup every 2 weeks maybe. And I'll have a cup of tea every so often.
  • BigDaddyRonnie
    BigDaddyRonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I cut soda nearly 2 years ago mid 2009 and it was one of the best decisions I ever made! I only drink water, milk, tea, coffee, beer, wine...not necessarily in order or importance but that is my focus with at least...at LEAST 8 glasses of water a day. It has helped with at least 10 lbs of loss with me losing 45 lbs before finding MFP.

Now, as I have entered a strong routine of strength training, the scale is not as important to me as my progress and NSV's, but I have been able to keep soda out of my diet successfully for what it appears to be forever. I no longer crave it at all.
  • jewelzz
    jewelzz Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I cut out all soda over a year and a half ago,i cant drink juice,sooooo flavored water it is for me