exercises question

Options
Hi everyone,

I have picked up a little injury in my kneee which has knocked me back on doing 30day shred at least for time being,

I used to do a 45min circuit at my work gym when I was 19ish!!! but I ended up giving up on it under docs orders as it was making my back pain worse. I had siatica at 20.

I manged to become pain free on back issues at 25 when they finally worked out my left leg is about quarter of inch shorter
than my right, so when I walk i drop my hip and squash the nerves causing pain. A simple lift in my shoe re-alligned my hips!

So roll on too many years to count, and I decide to try and get on top of my weigh issues - start the shred, hard work but I could feel improvements in my general discomfort of using muscles I never knew I had.
then suddenly one night went to start jumping jacks and I am in agony - instant cramp in calf - pain in knee for hours and numb feeling in couple of my toes. I am booked into see GP next week so we will discuss that then.

So having got frustrated in not being able to work on the shred I decided to check out the outdoor gym in my local park.

they have sit up benches, stationary bikes, weird treadmill, leg press, chest press and lat pull.
I tried them all out gently for about 20 minutes and this morning no pain in my knee as it was all no impact, I want to carry on
as I am a little worried about it seizing up.

But my main questions - does anyone think it is a bad idea to carry on with this, it all works on your body giving resistance so
it isn't possible to lower the weight (unless i loose more!)
How do I log it in MFP - eg yesterday I did 10minutes on bike a low/med pace. then on lat pull - 10 pulls at a time, think I did at least five sets. leg press I did slowly concentrating on keeping knee straight for 10 minutes. Sit ups I only managed about 5, but I know I am hopeless at them.

Thanks

TM

Replies

• LillysGranny
    Options
    I would think if what you're doing doesn't hurt your knee you should continue. My husband trains fighters and that is what they do when they are injured -- they just train around the injury. You may try entering it as circuit training, which typically incorporates a mixture of resistance and cardio. Should be fairly accurate for you. Good luck with your knee!
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I also gave up the 30 day shred, because after 5 days of doing it I strated getting shooting pains in my knees - and I thought that no exercise is worth me possibly causing a permanent injury. Since stopping it 2-3 weeks ago, I no longer have the pain in my knees.

I made a post some weeks back about how you can adapt the shred to low impact - see here http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/190851-for-all-you-shredders-30-day-shred-2010-adaptations

I think you should still be able to exercise, but it needs to be low impact.

No More trouble Zones, is a low impact body conditioning dvd also by Jillian Michaels. For cardio, I would suggest Turbo Jam - because low impact examples are given during the session & I have been doing it for the last 2 weeks and still the pain in my knees has improved.

Hope this helps.