Spinning

Options
My friend and I want to try spinning next week, and a skinny friend of mine seems like she's trying to put us off saying things like wishful thinking, and talking about the pain.
I heard spinning is a fantastic way to loose weight, we are both around 210lbs, have any of the bigger folk (around my size) on MFP tried spinning? To try or not to try? Any advise greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Replies

• meggersd
    meggersd Posts: 55
    Options
    Spinning is awesome. Just follow the instructor and take your time do not let your "skinny" freind intimidate you she's obviously being insecure - DO IT! Not only was I your size (but BIGGER) and I was spinning my butt off - used to manage a gym and would have all shapes and sizes doing our class. Keep an eye on your heart rate. Good Luck and Have fun.
  • SSausage
    SSausage Posts: 1
    Options
    Spinning is a great way to lose weight and get fit! Dont be put off by your friend its hard work but you feel fantastic after and you just push yourself as hard as you can and watch your fitness level increase as you push yourself a bit more each time! I definitely recommend it as before I started this I have lost 21 pounds and spin definitely helped me feel good and reach my goal!
  • Ashleyroberts297
    Ashleyroberts297 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hey

Spinning is my favourite class! It soooo much fun. Dont be put off, i ent little either but i can keep up and still enjoy it. Of course at first you mite ache the day after but not to the extreme you dont wanna go back, so take the notice of your friend trying to put u off. And since i have bin doing it i have lost weight and your legs and bum get nice and toned!! good luck give it a go!!!
  • Foxerlina
    Foxerlina Posts: 51
    Options
    It really doesn't matter what size you are as it's a class where you get pushed to your maximum, but YOU choose what your maximum is. If you can't keep up, don't worry, just cycle for a bit until you are ready to join back in. Myself and my friend do spinning and she is bigger than me and kicks my *kitten*!!!! I have to slow down every now and again but I can still see an improvement from when I started and thats all that matters.

Yes, it is a hard class....but everything is hard to begin with right?? Just go in there with an open mind and a 'can do' atittude. Stuff your so-called "friend"x
  • cosmo30
    cosmo30 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I lost 30lbs just by spining not even an extra walk during that weight loss period - just spining and eating right. After 2 pregnencies and losing motivation, I am back at my heaviest weight. Started spining again from this week.

Go for it!! Let us know what you think.
  • AndraSales
    Options
    I think you should definitely do it. I always do a spinning class once a week (amongst other things) and really enjoy it. The music always helps too. It is very hard work I won't lie, but you always feel great afterwards. Don't let someone else put you off. And look at it this way, if you go once and don't like it, then you don't have to go again, but it would be shame if you didn't even try it. Show your 'skinny' friend how its done!
  • Dukesjourney
    Dukesjourney Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I am definatly going to try it on Mon... i've always wanted to try it, and have been going to the gym for about a yr (with a small break in between, so i'm sure I will be ok. I always like to try things at least once, and if it works then thats even better.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I have only heard good things about it. It is much better for you than impact type exercise if you have a lot of weight to lose as it won't put pressure on your joints.

Pain is good, it means you are working.