Don't get on the scales!!

Options
Hi Ladies & Gents (ladies in particular)...

Try not to get on the scales. In my opinion too many people are trying to reach a particular weight instead of being happy with what they see in the mirror.

If you get on the scales one day and you are a couple of pound heavier it can ruin your whole day, it can even make you think "**** it, I'll have a cake" ..... Women in particular can be affected by their monthly cycles - between 2 & 7 pounds approximatly. there are also enviromental factors to concider.

So, please dont be a slave to the scales and let them decide how you feel about yourself.

:flowerforyou:

Replies

• missbeezy
    missbeezy Posts: 198
    Options
    You r right. I just wish it was that easy. ;)
  • AngelaH10
    AngelaH10 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this!!!! The scale greets me every single morning!! ughh! I've been doing good though.. I used to weigh myself every day and now I'm making myself go every other day, lol.. it's like an addiction! I'd like to get my weigh-ins to once a week or once every two weeks but I bust my butt to lose weight and I like seeing results..
  • sabrinalg
    sabrinalg Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    You are absolutely right because my scale hardly ever budge. I weigh myself once a week and once a week only, but man oh man those inches are melting away! :happy:
  • 6Pk2Go
    6Pk2Go Posts: 105
    Options
    My trainer gave me this advice on Sunday. I typically would weigh myself once or twice (or sometimes more!) a day. I've stopped since last Sunday and it has been amazing! I'm working hard so of course I'm curious but I'm resolving not to step on it for one more week. I'm trying to listen to my body and determine results by the way my clothes fit instead. The scale was a real bummer for me. When I up physical activity my muscles hold onto water (a good thing) which translates to weight on the scale. Even though I know that, I couldn't help but feel down when I saw the number on the scale. I might just follow her advice and throw it away for good but I'm not ready yet...
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I;m guilty as Angela. I shake my tail feather and like to see results!! I'm trying to do a weigh in (for myself) everyother day, just so I know i'm on track .
  • mlemonroe2
    mlemonroe2 Posts: 603
    Options
    I know what you're saying! I used to get down when I would gain but now it is more of a motivator for me. I weigh every day and it has kept me on track! It's different for everyone. If you know you will sabotage yourself if you get on the scale and gain a little then yes, stay away!! If it is a motivator for you to keep going, then by all means, step right up!!
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    I weigh every single day. I'm not in pursuit of a number. It just keeps me honest. If I put on a pound, then I know to slow down on the food or pick up on my exercise. If I lose a pound, it's encouragement to continue doing what I'm doing. Once I get into toning up, I will not be weighing every day. I'll be using the mirror and the fit of my clothing.
  • thesimsisters
    thesimsisters Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I only weigh on the scale once a week at the same time and day each week, early Saturday morning. The fluctuations from day to day are too much and I don't like to stress about it (and obsess) about it that much. This has worked really well for me :) I will never stop getting on the scale, even when I lose the last few pounds as I need to know where I'm at to watch for any back slide. I want to stay within a 5 pound range of my healthy weight. I don't think that getting on the scale is bad, you just need to keep that relationship with the scale a healthy one!
  • aimgirl
    aimgirl Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    If you MUST get on the scale (and I MUST) only do it once per week. I asked the kids to hide it from my husband and I because we just couldn't fight the urge to get on it every single morning. I do agree with not getting on at all when it's that time of the month ladies. It can be very discouraging. :sad:
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week (if that...)

I used to weigh myself every day, then punish myself if I went over...

I just though this isn't worth it in the end & went for the tape measure instead. This gives you a much better guide of where you are!
  • CharlieJuliette
    CharlieJuliette Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    You are totally right, but it's SO hard not to stand on the scales. This morning I'd put on a pound. It won't affect what I eat or my exercise routine, but it definitely got the day off to a bad start!
  • ybba12490
    ybba12490 Posts: 252
    Options
    YAY:drinker:
    I'm definitely not a slave to the scale... I weigh myself about every 2-4 weeks.
    Although sometimes I do get curious and weigh on random days but don't record it.
    I do have set weight loss goals but am focusing more on how I look and feel. It has made my exercise and dieting more tolerable because I don't feel so much pressure or stress.
    Good advice!!!
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. Sometimes I'll look in the mirror, think I look slimmer, but then the scale says I gained so I feel larger and sad for the rest of the day. Silly, I should be glad for what I saw in the mirror instead. :ohwell:
  • travelprincess
    travelprincess Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Getting on the scale once a week holds me accountable for my weight loss. I am not one of the people that go eat if the number doesn't move, I work harder to make it move.
    I do agree that during TOM I do not get on the scale because of the weight gain that you can have.
    It is whatever works best for the individual.
  • Smurph241
    Smurph241 Posts: 24
    Options
    Good post!! This is something that I have a weakness for and only this week I just proved your point!!

Thursday is my weigh in day and I have began detoxing on a monday through to tuesday which does help me.

Well on the wednesday morning 1 day before my "weigh in" i had dropped 2 pounds. Great! But on the wednesday evening i went to a friends who produced nibbles ( doritos and dip!!) instead of dinner and though I did not have much on the Thursay weigh in I had lost no weight according to the last week!!

It turned out that as doritos are high in salt my body retained water and on the Thursday I drank plenty of water and green tea and weighed in this morning and was back to the wednesday weight!!

From now on I will only weigh in on Thursday and avoid salty foods on the day before weigh in!!!!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Totally agree! I don't own any scales and never have. I only know roughly what I weigh as I weighed myself at my parents 3 weeks ago!
  • supercatie18
    supercatie18 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I agree with this!! I think it is a good idea to weigh at the same time every week, first thing in the morning. However, if its not what you are expecting, just move on! Keep working out and doing what you're doing, and try to focus more on the NSV's (no scale victories!) Then no matter what the number on the scale you will be happy with yourself. I also lost about 25 pounds a few summers ago, I would weigh in once a week and was happy with my progress, being content at the weight I was, I stopped weigh-in's. That is when I put almost half of the weight back on! I think in maintenance mode it is important to weigh in at least once or twice a month, just to make sure your still on track! That way too you notice any weight gain before it gets too out of hand!