Why have I gained?

Options
For some reason i have gained 5lbs in the past 2 days. I don't understand. I am at 1470cal a day reccomended by MFP and I am doing between 60 and 90 min a day of cardio. I usually walk in the morning for 45-60 min and then ride my stationary bike in the afternoon/night for another 45-60 min! I have been well under my increased calories for exercise. I just don't get it, 5lbs in 2 days! I'm disgusted. Am I not eating enough? Anybody?

Replies

• missbeezy
    missbeezy Posts: 198
    Options
    Sounds like water weight. Hows your sodium?
  • redhotsmacker
    redhotsmacker Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Are you tracking your sodium levels? Sodium can do some pretty nasty effects and make you retain a lot of water. If that is what it is, the gain should be gone within a couple of days. Up your water intake and watch your sodium levels over the next couple of days and you should be in the green again.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    For starters being well under your goal is not a good thing, you should be withing 100 cals of your goal (over or under). You may be retaining water due to the exercise (muscles tend to store water to aid in recovery and to protect muscles after being worked hard). Or you could be retaining water due to a higher than normal level of sodium in the past couple of days.
  • thrsubcon3
    Options
    Combination of many things but likely water weight if you are doing that much exercise since if you didn't consume that much water after 60-90 minutes of cardio, you would pass out.

Also check all your nutrients. Make sure there aren't any unusual spikes going on.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Could you be approaching your period?
  • TabiHerbalifeCoach
    TabiHerbalifeCoach Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I agree with most people on here. Cant see your food diary but sodium is likely the culprite. HOw much water are you drinking it makes a HUGE difference! :D
  • allie_00
    allie_00 Posts: 73
    Options
    Me too. I've gained 3 lbs since my last weigh in and I usually do a combination of cardio/weights for at least 60 mins a day. I think it's my muscles retaining water because we've been doing some pretty crazy stuff at bootcamp lately (I'm sore and I'm usually NEVER sore because I'm really active and my muscles are pretty used to it!) I'm going to wait it out and hopefully the scales is more friendly next time around!
  • donicagalek
    donicagalek Posts: 526
    Options
    Common reasons:

1. T.O.M. (for women). Usually throws five on quick and goes just as quick.
    2. High sodium causes water retention. Water is heavy.
    3. Strength training to the point of causing pain the next day. When muscles are injured they tend to swell a bit.
    4. Constipation from lack of hydration (although five pounds worth would be kinda unlikely).
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Relax. There is no way it is fat. But I would caution you to reconsider the total calories you are consuming. It sounds like you aren't eating enough considering the amount of excersing you are doing. I know it sounds counter intuitive to eat more when you are trying to lose weight but you don't want to plateau. Your body needs fuel. Not only will your weight loss stall if you aren't eating enough but you won't feel well either.

As for the weight gain, I agree with everyone else that it is probably water weight or could be related to your TOM.
    You shouldn't be weighing yourself so often. Once a week max. Your weight can naturally fluctuate day to day (or even within the same day) by up to 5 lbs. It is counter productive to weigh yourself that often. It will just cause anxiety. Weigh yourself less frequently and focus on other results besides the scale such as more energy, better mood, looser clothes, etc.
  • BakingGranny
    BakingGranny Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Would you consider opening up your diary for us to take a look at it? It could be sodium,sugar,carbs (which turn to sugar) or many numerous things. I have gained lbs overnight that was uncalled for. But came off within a couple of days. But I got myself in deep doo doo a few wks ago. Kept gaining. Even tho I was doing everything right,I thought,my MFP friends took a look at my diary and seen the problem. I did what I was told and started losing again. So please consider opening your diary.
  • ljdewitt123
    ljdewitt123 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I opened up my diary! Maybe you can see what the problem is!
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I only looked at one day to get my thesis -- you're eating way too much sodium. A lot of sodium will cause you retain water and water is pretty heavy. I just gained 2 pounds sitting here finishing my 32 oz nalgene of water.