martial arts considered cardio, too?

Options
Since I've been learning kung fu, I've wondered if I need to work in a day or two of cardio, like running or fast walking. The typical day at kung fu is a warm up which is like this: punches (50 of each type of punch); long range punches (50 of each), kicks (25 each leg of each type of kick); 2 sets of 30 impulses holding 10 seconds between sets (kind of like slow squats) 110 alternating knee to floor twists (cannot think of another way to describe), lastly 30 push ups (type varies), 50 to 70 sit ups (type varies). All done as fast as you can. I get very breathless. After warm up, it is time to apply moves or learn series of movements. This warm up is done at least three to four times a week. Other types of warm ups may be replaced just to surprise us, but similar moves are in there. I try to go three times a week, sometimes I go more, but no more than 5 times a week.

My husband thinks that the cardio is built in to the warm-up and isn't necessary to add running or something. What do you guys think. So, I guess, basically, my question would be: if you are getting breathless and have a high heart rate does that constitute cardio? I don't have a HRM and would not be able to get one. Sorry for all the detail, just want to facilitate a good answer.

Replies

• allie_00
    allie_00 Posts: 73
    Options
    I was half way towards my black belt in taekwondo while living in South Korea and I most definitely think the things you are doing to warmup are cardio! Are you sweating? Can you feel your heart beating? Are you a little flush? If so, it's cardio.

Taekwondo got me in the best shape of my life. I'd stick with the martial arts :)
  • lilac67
    lilac67 Posts: 311
    Options
    Yes, martial arts, especially warm up, is considered cardio. So enjoy :)!! Martial Arts is the only reason I exercise, lol!
  • chellekoren
    chellekoren Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Oh and part two of this would be. I am there for about two hours when I go. However, when the day isn't high in intensity, I estimate down in my time. Like yesterday, we were moving very slowly and holding our positions to make the moves create accurate muscle memory. The moves can be very technical. My muscles scream from holding positions for a long time, but my heart rate isn't up. Would you decrease the exercise time on MFP? Otherwise, two hours is a lot of calories and I want it to be as accurate as I can without a HRM.

Thanks in advance.

Chelle
  • jewelzz
    jewelzz Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    If your heart rate is up i would say yes
  • chellekoren
    Options
    So loving these answers. Yes, I am typically "choking on my heart" as jillian michaels says in 30 days shred. This is a debate my 16 y/o daughter and I have. I don't enjoy plain old running, anymore, so I really didn't want to start to do that regularly. I'd rather do my tan tui's and forms ;)

Sweat? I get DISGUSTINGLY sweaty, which was an adjustment for me. Was sooo embarrassed at first. Then, my Sifu's wife posts sweaty shirt pictures on their kwoon's facebook page with guesses as to what the pictures are, bunnies, ironman emblem, bullwinkle, etc. So funny.
  • chellekoren
    Options
    black belt!!! Whew. That's awesome.....and awesomely hard.

I am testing in april for circle 9 (the circles start at 10) So I am just a newbie, but SOOOO loving the journey.
  • allie_00
    allie_00 Posts: 73
    Options
    Halfway towards a black (only a blue belt) - lol. But yes, sweating is a major part of it! Lol.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I do TKD as well and wore my HRM one night just out of curiosity. I burned about 500 calories according to the HRM and that wasn't even a particularly tough night! I do additional cardio but I only do TKD twice a week on average and I really want to get in better shape for that black belt test. I'm just over half way (1st purple) but the easy part is definitely over! I've been doing P90X for the last 5 weeks and have definitely seen improvements in my TKD since adding it. I really wanted to increase my endurance and it seems to be working. :)
  • JohnnyNull
    JohnnyNull Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    This seems to me to be two questions. The first is in your thread title. The answer is overall a "yes". You can go to a basic Tai Chi Chu'an or a Bagua class, and they won't burn much. But most MA classes burn quite a bit (Even the horrible cardio-kickboxing nonsense.). Thus, there is a "cardio" aspect.

Now, reading your initial post, it seems you feel that you need a certain amount of cardio in your overall training. In that case, I would first ask why and to what end. This should guide you to an idea of volume and type(s) of cardio.

If you're just a casual practitioner, then the class alone may be enough. For anything else, go for it. Wisely.