New

Options
Just wanted to say HI - enjoying MFP - started my journey on 11/3/2010 and so far have lost 19 lbs - I am over 55 - and finding it very difficult to lose - however my clothes are getting big so I try not to concentrate too much on the scale - Anyone else having the over 50 issues?

Replies

• mattsdad1961
    mattsdad1961 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    First of all, congrats for starting and sticking to it!! I'm just turning 50 this year, but was extremely un-fit when I began MFP early this year. I really focus on calorie tracking, water intake and especially my fiber and sodium values.

It is also critical for me to force exercise into my day, since I am in an office position and my workk committment is 12 - 14 hours a day between work and commute. I can't often fit a huge block of exercise in, but I try to ensure I do 5 minute blocks of stairs 3 times daily during my workday. As often as possible, I'll get out for a 20 minute walk during my lunch hour.

I've also tried to focus on basic strength training with light weights and some abdominal work - planks and pilates '100s'.

The key for me has been to start slowly, but to apply consistent effort. I listen to my body so I don't damage joints, but I try to stretch/challenge myself each day.

I don't use the scale as my only measure of success - it's also important to reflect on how I feel - emotionally and physically, how do my clothes fit, do I sleep better, etc.

I hope this input is helpful...I wish you continued strength as you pursue becoming a healthier you.