Sat Night drinks..Or stay Home?

Options
Im new to MFP and have been changing my eating and drinking habits to lose weight...I like to go out and socially drink with my friends and fam, Any suggestions as to what is the best mixed drink as I do not drink beer?and how am I supposed to keep accurate calorie count intake if Im not the one making the drinks? Might be simple But Im almost to the point to where I dont even want to go out with my peeps to avoid the temptation of overloading calories on drinks??? hummm What to do

Replies

• 1FITmamaofTWINS
    Options
    vodka & soda water. use lemons, limes or a SPLASH (not a lot) of cranberry to add flavor
  • Mrz_Rich
    Mrz_Rich Posts: 90
    Options
    Bacardi / diet coke is 65 calories per drink...a lot better than beer or anything mixed with juice! :drinker:
  • crazymama2two
    Options
    dont miss out on your friends and good times...youll be sorry. and one night won't blow your entire mind frame! you got this. enjoy your friends!
  • red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I'm big on plain or citrus vodka and water...and it's definitely worth the few extra $$ for top shelf.
  • sarabellum
    sarabellum Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    That's exactly what I was going to put - vodka and soda water with a splash of cranberry juice is a great option :)
  • jkleman79
    jkleman79 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Yes the vodka soda thing works great. You know they are only putting in 2 ounces of vodka so you can figure calories on that as well as the soda water. Then ask for a couple extra slices of lemon and or lime to flavor it a bit...so you wont have all of the sugary mixers. The one I always did for my NA drinks which you could think about is pineapple and tonic water.. its very tasty. If you wanted to make it alcoholic just add the vodka. This one also you can figure out calorie wise and you will have all natural sugars to flavor it.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    My go to drink at a bar is rum with diet coke. Sometimes I'll order a glass of wine or a light beer depending on what I'm eating.

If you know you're going to have nights light these, prepare a bit by getting in a work-out and keeping your breakfast and lunch lighter so you don't have to feel like you have to say no to a second drink or something more calorie laden like a margarita.
  • jkleman79
    Options
    There is always wine also...that you already know what is in it... WINE. =0) Then you will know the calories... but if you dont drink wine I can see that being an issue. You will be fine no worries!!! Go be social and love life.
  • ejb245
    ejb245 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of bloody marys. A little higher cal than vodka and soda, but veg juice is low cal and has vitamins and nutrients. :) I'm not a big sweet drink fan though, so that's also part of it. Definitely don't miss out on social engagements!
  • perrytyra
    perrytyra Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I am sure someone here will post a good option for what to drink when you go out.

When I like to give advice, I think of what I would do in this situation. To start with, if I went out every Saturday, I would change it to twice a month, or maybe once a month. Then I would realize that I don't have to drink to have fun. I would limit my drinks to one or two, making sure I saved the calories for them. I don't worry about exact calories when I have a drink. I do a good job throughout the day making sure I put in the right portions on my food, so if the drinks are off a bit, it is not a big deal to me.

I go to play pool with my husband at least once a month. I normally don't drink, so I can drive. I don't drink pop, but my husband feels funny going to play pool and not buying a drink. He thinks it is rude. So, sometimes I order a pop, but I can never finish it. Usually I order one drink, and then drink water for the rest of the night.
  • chris1132
    chris1132 Posts: 58
    Options
    I agree with all the suggestions everyone else gave. Also, when I go out with my friends and I have the number of drinks I've allowed myself, I start ordering plain water with a slice of lime in it. That way I can stay out with everyone but no one bugs me about not drinking - it looks like a vodka tonic! Haha. Not quite as much fun as a real vodka tonic but c'est la vie. :) Have fun!!
  • Kelleyrh5
    Kelleyrh5 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Since i have started my program i have allowed myself saturday evenings as my treat day. Saturdays are my WI days so i always wait till after that to enjoy my day off. :wink:
    We always play cards and of course snacks and drinks are apart of that. I just make sure that i have eaten a healthy dinner and allow myself no more than 4 drinks. Now, i have had coronas and rum and cokes, and not done too bad. I just make it up for the next couple of days, if i dont then i would not be a happy camper! LOL Not that i am an advid drinker but i enjoy my down time with friends and family and did not want to give that up and i enjoy a nice drink socially. So, make sure that i kick butt after my saturday evenings. :wink:
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Gin and slim line tonic for me please (60 Cal)

Pre-diet it would have been a double - now I go heavy on the tonic....
  • rivera_72084
    Options
    Thanks I was sooo nervous going out this weekend..Im super proud of the lil accomplishment I have made in this first week Id hate to mess it up for just a few hours out..Im on a Mission! lol I will be asking for a voda and soda water with a slice of lemon this saturday with my girls...Thanks a bunch everyone :drinker:
  • imogenboo
    imogenboo Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I know its not a mixer but white wine is quite low in calories and if you want to splash out champagne is quite low too (and really yummy)!
  • jkleman79
    Options
    Yes the calories count but my nutritionist when I asked the question about drinking told me that. Its not the alcohol that ruins your work outs its drinking to the point of DRUNK that does. This shuts down the systems being used to replenish the body and build your muscles etc. So yes stick to just a couple drinks and avoid the drunk/buzz state and all will not be lost.
  • spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    why not just drink diet coke or sparkling water
  • AntYoungs
    Options
    What i've done is stuck to white wine, i've been on intense food cut downs and becoming more active. I'm now very much bang on addicted to it lol..

So when I went out with my buddys I wanted something that would get me drunk but not smash my calorie intake, I could still add to MFP when drunk ;) I had 2 bottles of wine, HOWEVER drinking with all my rugby lads they're drinking pints i'm drinking wine made my life hell, but worth it!! It was low in calories but the 2 bottles got me leathered.

Most times I pop down the pub with a buddy for a pint I literally drink ice water everytime, don't bother me in the slightest anymore that i'm not drinking alcohol anymore.
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Or, quite often - I'll be the designated driver: popular and calorie free!
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    Definately go! I try to alternate cocktails with water...one glass of water for every cocktail you have. Not only does this limit the calories from alcohol but helps to keep you hydrated. I have also started having "girls night" at my house instead of going to a bar. everyone brings there own beverage of choice and we rent movies or (as we do more often now) play dance central on Kinect...exercise too!!! I can control the portion of alcohol I am getting and track it better. It has gone over great with my group of friends (many are parents and just want to be able to get out of the house) and we do it almost every weekend.