5 days 0lbs loss

riko121
riko121 Posts: 5
edited September 25 in Health and Weight Loss
Is this normal? I'm 308lbs, been on a strict diet for since monday. 30 mins cross trainer/day (650cal) and my food is on point.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/riko121?date=2011-03-24

I weighed myself today and I'm still 308. Kinda bummed me out, I see people losing like 8-10lbs in their first week (water weight etc). If I keep it up and weigh myself again on monday (would have been 7 days since start of diet) would I see a loss?

I understand it's going to take a while but I thought I should've lost some weight.

Thanks

Replies

• MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Change your settings to your diary. Can't view it.
  • Fat2FitChick
    Fat2FitChick Posts: 451 Member
    Your food log is locked, can't see your food. Thanks
  • waster196
    waster196 Posts: 138 Member
    Don't be deterred! This happens for some people. You might not see any loss for a week or two but it'll soon pick up! Keep at it and you WILL see results :)
  • marshmallowmind
    marshmallowmind Posts: 82 Member
    I've been doing this for 20 days & seen no improvements either. I think for some it happens easier, we're the unlucky ones. Just keep at it, it'll come off eventually. But of course, as I can't see your diary, you might not be eating enough, causing your body to hold onto every calorie you eat.
    I hope it kicks in soon though, I get how frustrating it can be.
  • I actually gained weight my first couple weeks before I started losing anything. Everyone is different, so don't be discouraged - your body might just take more time!
    Good luck.
  • riko121
    Diary is unlocked
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    I was discouraged too. My scale fluctuated by 0.2 (that is POINT 2!) for over a week and then BAM! It started moving downward again. Our bodies aren't consistent, so keep with it and you will see results. Also make sure you take measurements as well as weigh yourself because many times you will end up looking slimmer while weighing the same.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    I know you have a lot to lose but 650 cals/day is not enough. I hope you are being monitored at least weekly by a trained professional. The general rule of thumb is a minimum of 1500 calories ( plus eating exercise calories) for a man when trying to lose weight. And at your weight you would lose 3-4 lbs/week eating 1500 cals. Your maintenance is probably around 3000 cals. So if you eat 1500 you will burn 3 lbs/week as your caloric deficit would be 1500. So over a week your deficit would be 10500 (1500 *7) which would be 3 lbs/week 3500 cals per pound so 10500/3500 = 3lbs/week.

Maybe try increasing your calories to the level suggested and follow MFP and you will lose weight.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    1) Don't weigh daily. Just don't do it. If you do check your weight daily it's important to remember to COMPARE the numbers weekly- mondays to mondays, tuesdays to tuesdays. Your weight just fluctuates too much for you to be able to "see" a loss any day in comparison to the other. Pick 1 day a week and weigh in then - Just when you wake up naked/ or same clothes every week and after having gone to the bathroom

5 days isn't enough time to tell- weight just fluctuates too much from day to day.

Side note- looking at your diary, I would consider eating a little more- maybe 1-300 cals more per day, to fuel the kind of workouts you've been doing.
  • riko121
    I know you have a lot to lose but 650 cals/day is not enough. I hope you are being monitored at least weekly by a trained professional. The general rule of thumb is a minimum of 1500 calories ( plus eating exercise calories) for a man when trying to lose weight. And at your weight you would lose 3-4 lbs/week eating 1500 cals. Your maintenance is probably around 3000 cals. So if you eat 1500 you will burn 3 lbs/week as your caloric deficit would be 1500. So over a week your deficit would be 10500 (1500 *7) which would be 3 lbs/week 3500 cals per pound so 10500/3500 = 3lbs/week.

Maybe try increasing your calories to the level suggested and follow MFP and you will lose weight.

650 cals is what I'm burning a day through exercise. I'm eating close to 2000 a day. Check my diary.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    I've been doing this for 20 days & seen no improvements either. I think for some it happens easier, we're the unlucky ones. Just keep at it, it'll come off eventually. But of course, as I can't see your diary, you might not be eating enough, causing your body to hold onto every calorie you eat.
    I hope it kicks in soon though, I get how frustrating it can be.

I applaud you for not giving up after no results. That's so great!
  • Dukesjourney
    Dukesjourney Posts: 146 Member
    Dont give up. Ive been going 3 weeks now, and only just seen a loss of 2lbs and inches lost around my waist. Do you do more exercise than just the cross trainer? Maybe try increasing the amount of exercise you do per day or per week.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member

650 cals is what I'm burning a day through exercise. I'm eating close to 2000 a day. Check my diary.

Sorry I misread. Keep at it you should see results just give it a bit of time.
  • Boooie
    Boooie Posts: 110
    I saw you use 3 teaspoons of salt,try cutting that out to :)
  • i suggest tracking sodium on your daily food log in addition to the carbs, protein, fats you are already tracking. I think you may find you are high in sodium and i see you are low on water, so be sure to do that: cut back on sodium and increase water.

Also, make sure when you "back out your exercise calories earned" you are ending up with a net calories consumed thats at or over 1200 calories--1500 if you are a man (sorry, i didnt look! LOL!). Calories eaten - calories burned thru exercise = net calories consumed. You've been under 1200 net the past 2 days and you really don't want this to be a habit or it will negatively effect your progress/metabolism.

One other thing: weigh first thing after waking up & going to the bathroom. Weigh yourself undressed and place your scale in the same place/same orientation each time for the most consistent measurements.

Congratulations on deciding to get healthy, btw!! :) If you have questions, MFP is full of friendly people to support you on your journey, so ask away! :)
  • michelle4271
    michelle4271 Posts: 194 Member
    First, I will assume the 3 tsp was to cook the pasta? I would start eliminating "optional" ingredients like that, you just might find that it doesnt change the flavor so drastically that you "need" it.

Secondly, I think you should start adding into your exercise routine strength training, I do see you did some bicep curls, but you need to incorporate all body parts, and not consecutive, one to two body parts per day, and dont repeat that part for at least 3 days.

example:
    day 1 back and bi's
    day 2 chest and tri's
    day 3 shoulders
    day 4 legs

each day you can do your cardio, usually not on the day you do legs though, and abs can be done every couple days too.

I would also recommend measuring, you might find more progress at time that way when the scale isnt moving.

Good luck and keep up the good work,,,,,it will eventually get going.
  • jrbb0309
    jrbb0309 Posts: 55
    I'm going to suggest you monitor your sodium as well. I see ketchup and bbq sauce in there and most brands are hugely high in sodium and that's aside from salt you're using at the table or for cooking.
This discussion has been closed.