Do all HRM calculate calories burned?

Options
I was just wondering if all (or most) heart rate monitors calculate your calories burned. I am looking into getting an inexpensive HRM for now and I just wanted to make sure I'm not wasting money on something that isn't going to help me out.

Thanks!

Replies

• Minnie_Moo
    Minnie_Moo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FS3 from about 4 or 5 years ago and mine does not calculate calories. I do believe the newer HRM's calculate calories.

Don't know if this will help you any but...........Here is a link that was posted in another thread with a lot of information on HRM's.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472
  • rovake
    rovake Posts: 3
    Options
    Most do calculate calories, but this is not totally accurate. In order to get more accurate results more needs to be considered than heart rate. VO2 (maximimal oxygen uptake) is important for more accurate results. This is basically your body's capacity to transport and use oxygen. Most HRM watches do not have this. The Polar F6 and up do. The Suunto T series do as well. Problem is, these are not very inexpensive. So, you can get the calorie burning on a cheaper HRM, but the best results will come from a nicer one. My suggestion is to look all of this up online. I would love to have one of those I mentioned, I just can't afford one right now. But, even if you do not have a HRM, just keep exercising and watching your calorie intake and you will succeed. Good luck!