Losing weight is like a job.....

Options
I never really thought about it, but losing weight is just like a job. I need to watch my calories, but more importantly watch the sodium. (Which is so stress-fully hard). Then you need to exercise daily. When I step on the scale on a weekly basis, and it barely moves, either way, it makes me step back and think "was this week worth it"? Did I really enjoy any of the foods that I "cheated" with? Or how about the "healthy foods" like salad, that include so much sodium in the dressing. Ugh! Its such a demanding lifestyle. Don't get me wrong, when someone tells me "you look great", or WOW! It is worth that, but it's so hard to keep up. I complain about eating and drinking everything. It has absorb my life. I just can't seem to get a grasp around the whole process. I am in a daily routine, but sometimes it's hard to continue. I don't want to give up, but I need to learn to relax and enjoy my success so far. I don't seem to be losing weight anymore, but inches are dropping off. I have cut back on my 3-5 diet cokes per day, to only 1 if any. If I know I am going out to dinner, I will eat less during the day. I have made sacrifices, but it sometimes tends to be to much to handle. Any suggestions for continued success?

Replies

• bouldert
    bouldert Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Maybe rewards ever so often might help or goals ,make new goals to work towards ,like marathons
  • glcarr65
    glcarr65 Posts: 74
    Options
    I know exactly what you are saying... I have been working really hard for the last 3 weeks. The first 2 weeks I lost 3 lbs then today I get on the scales and stayed the same. I was super pissed! It almost made me want to give up, but I know I did not put the weight on in only 3 weeks so it is going to take some time to get off.

I have to say my clothes are becoming much more comfortable to wear so I know something must be working.
    So try and not give up. I have decided that I am not going to weigh myself for 1 month.

Try and set a goal without weighing yourself and see how that goes. I have a pair of shorts that I want to fit into so that is my new goal. I am going to try them on each week until they fit.

Don't give up!!! We can do this....:smile:
  • hwilliams519
    Options
    I understand what you mean. I get completely absorbed, almost obsessed about food and doing the right thing. And then I still fall to temptations, like cookies. It is really hard. And sometimes I just feel I'm one extreme or another. Sometimes I'm healthy, and sometimes I just don't care. And if I eat something "bad" I become like a monster, and keep being bad. For me, for some reason, I think I get on self-sabbotage mode.

But anyways, I know that when I'm not eating healthy, my body knows it too. I start to feel off, gain weight. Even by drinking 3-4 diet cokes, my body can tell that it's not getting enough water. I wish I had all the answers and best advice to give.

Just don't give up, listen to your body, and know that you are not alone. There are so many of us that struggle with the same issues. For you and me both, we just need to try our best not to get so consumed. Just make good decisions. I also think setting up some rewards/goals are very helpful too. But make them small goals. I tend to make large goals that are harder to abtain.

I hope that helps.
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    In the early stages it feels like a job because you are breaking old habits that you developed and became very comfortable with and picking up new habits that demand that you be a bit more mindful.

As you start to internalize these new habits they will feel less like a job.
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Its a bad job at first, but then it becomes just life...yes I had to cut a lot of junky food at the beggining of this "job" but now I can have junky food here and there and not have it go to my trouble spots or look all puffy or gain major weight!!..Its so lovely to enjoy my mcdonalds now!! I do every week!! yay!!! for the best job I have had so far!!!
  • zenfocus
    zenfocus Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Wow you're doing so well. Also the scale is not the only indicator of weight loss - you said it - inches also count. :) Keep it up!!! It is so like a job, nothing could be more true.