Unsweeten tea vs water

Options
I have been drinking lots of tea lately and did not see the difference in that and water any thoughts?

Replies

• meshellmybell76
    meshellmybell76 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    i count it as water, especially herbal teas.
  • bdtaylor2009
    Options
    I drink alot of green tea also along with water.
  • bdtaylor2009
    Options
    I drink alot of green tea also along with water.
  • DebbieLaviolette
    DebbieLaviolette Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I count it as water too.
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I do NOT count tea in my water intake because tea is a diuretic and doesn't hydrate you quite the same as water. It's better than nothing but I don't count it toward my daily water goal.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Green or white teas- yes

black teas are caffienated, so I don't count them.
  • ItsAsha
    ItsAsha Posts: 78
    Options
    Hello.
    Tea has caffeine in it, and caffeine actually dehydrates you. For every glass of caffeinated beverage you have, you should have a glass of water to rehydrate.
  • tonedover
    tonedover Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    i dont count it as water.
    Anything in the water has to be flushed by the kidneys so ill have a diet tea or a green tea, but still slam down the 8 cups of water as well.
    On the plus side, all these zero calorie teas make you fell full and provide me with much needed caffiene (since i gave up my beloved coffee for a couple months)
  • dizzydes24
    Options
    I do count my tea as water but only the teas that are not high in caffeine. I drink others like mate and oolong that are for weight loss and dont count those. Go to teavanna.com to get some yummy teas to help you on your weight loss!
  • GLLove
    GLLove Posts: 77
    Options
    http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/id/QAA57092

"The short answer to your question is "no." Thanks to their caffeine content, both tea and coffee are diuretics - that is, they cause the body to lose water. ...To get two cups of water from coffee or tea, you would have to drink three cups. Considering that you should be getting eight cups of water per day, you would have to drink 12 cups of coffee or tea to get that much."
  • weight2go
    weight2go Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Weight Watchers used say if it has no caffine or calories then it can count as water.
  • meggonkgonk
    Options
    http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/id/QAA57092

"The short answer to your question is "no." Thanks to their caffeine content, both tea and coffee are diuretics - that is, they cause the body to lose water. ...To get two cups of water from coffee or tea, you would have to drink three cups. Considering that you should be getting eight cups of water per day, you would have to drink 12 cups of coffee or tea to get that much."

But this applies to caffeinated teas- green and white teas are not caffeinated. And even caffeinate tea has FAR less caffeine than coffee which would/should affect the amount it dehydrates you.
  • sweetsarahj
    sweetsarahj Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Green or white teas- yes

black teas are caffienated, so I don't count them.

Most green tea has caffiene, so be carfeul. I only know this because my sister is allergic to caffeine!
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    But this applies to caffeinated teas- green and white teas are not caffeinated. And even caffeinate tea has FAR less caffeine than coffee which would/should affect the amount it dehydrates you.
    Unless it says decaf on the box it has caffeine and coffee does not have more than tea usually they are very close to the same amount, it varies according to manufacturer mind you.
  • FitPhysique
    FitPhysique Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I drink 3 cups of green tea/day and always count it as water. It's homenade tea with no additives i.e sugar , milk etc. Counting my tea, I drink at a minimum 12 cups.
  • PegasusDeb
    PegasusDeb Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I was always told (WW perhaps?) that if the tea was decaf, you could count it as your water. That is the only way I can get that much water in!
  • maryrshstattoo
    maryrshstattoo Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Thanks well this may very well be my problem I have changed from stickly water to tea since moving back south. LOL Gonna have to change that.
  • meggonkgonk
    Options
    Unless it says decaf on the box it has caffeine and coffee does not have more than tea usually they are very close to the same amount, it varies according to manufacturer mind you.

I'm sorry I was mistaken on the green and white teas- though they are lower in caffeine, they do have. *Sorry about that, guys*

Teas def have less caffeine than coffee- not oz per oz, but serving size to serving size:

Tea vs. Coffee
    Ounce for ounce, tea leaves contain many times more caffeine than do coffee beans. However, whereas 1 oz. of coffee won't yield much more than 2 cups of coffee, an ounce of tea will yield as many as 20 to 30 cups, and that's assuming you don't go back for a second infusion. For that reason, a cup of tea almost always has less caffeine than a cup of coffee.

Read more: Caffeine Levels in Tea and Coffee | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/facts_5122312_caffeine-levels-tea-coffee.html#ixzz1HdSS6QB0
  • sweetsarahj
    sweetsarahj Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Thanks well this may very well be my problem I have changed from stickly water to tea since moving back south. LOL Gonna have to change that.

Maybe try some fruit in your water. I know everyone says lemon, but I was at a spa once and they had cucumbers in the water---- wow, so delicious! I would try cucumbers, fresh mint leaves, lemon, lime, orange slices.
  • bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I count my herbal teas since they are caffeine free :)