Just feeling disgusting!!!

Options
13»

Replies

• Nigel99
    Nigel99 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Hang in there, Christine! You can do it - you just have to make some adjustments and figure out what to tweak in what you're doing already (with some great suggestions so far).
  • cincomama
    cincomama Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    When I look back on when I actually was able to loose that last 10-15 pounds the only way it came off was when I went on the Atkins and pretty much totally cut out carbs. I was actually able to get down to a good weight. I've tried WW and this plan and I just can't seem to loose that extra 10-15.

I agree with this as well. I lost 5 lbs pretty quickly. I work out 4-5 times a week (burning 250-470 calories/day). I am usually a little under or at my calorie goal. I might have one day over per week.

I know some people don't agree, but low-carb is the only way I can lose weight. I starting being strict on my carbs again this week and lost 1.5 lbs for the first time in 4-6 weeks. On the Atkins website it said that I should only intake 30 g of carbs per day b/c I want to lose 20 lbs. Check out the website.

I don't mind going over my calories for the day, but I really try not to exceed my carbs. It works for me.
  • PrairieRoseNE
    PrairieRoseNE Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Christine - as far as low sodium ideas - if you have time to cook more from scratch - that will help, because you can control the salt you add. But if you're a busy Mom like I am, sometimes we just don't have that much time. Try to limit your pre-packaged foods when possible - for example I saw that your had a Hamburger Helper listed in your food diary (and please don't think I'm criticizing - I've been where you are and I just want to help :)
    The seasoning packets in most Hamburger helpers are loaded with sodium. So a good substitute would be to make homemade hamburger helper, it takes about the same time to cook and you'll save at least half on the sodium. If you would like some recipes - let me know and I'll post some for you :)

For those times when pre-packaged is the only option, try to look for main dishes with 400mg Sodium or less. MFP allows me 2500mg of Sodium, but I try to use only 1500mg per day - so if you spread that out over 3 meals - each meal can only be 500mg on average. But if you can afford the 2500mg, then you have more leeway per meal.

Beware of foods labeled as Low Fat - many times low fat labeled foods actually have MORE sodium than the full fat version. Just be aware, so you can decide if the decreased fat is worth the sodium trade off. This doesn't apply to ALL low fat foods, but it pays to read labels.

I try to always find ways to reduce sodium in the canned goods I use when cooking - for example, a can of green beans can be drained of the juice and rinsed - you won't get rid of all the sodium, but it will help. I drain & rinse as many products as can be, without affecting the taste, etc.... My family loves ham & scalloped potatoes - so I chop up my ham into cubes and then I rinse the ham in a colander - doesn't hurt the taste and reduces some of the salt. Also, some frozen veggies are lower in sodium versus canned so if you are able, use frozen. Fresh veggies have the least sodium - but that depends on where you can get fresh veggies year around!!

Be careful of products that you wouldn't suspect of having sodium - some brands of frozen chicken breasts are injected with a sodium solution as a preservative. Once I realized how much - I started buying freshly cut chicken breasts from the meat counter. Most deli meats, bolognas, hot dogs, brats, and bacon of course are all high in sodium. Cheese is especially high. Sad to say, but I switched to taking a Viactiv Calcium chew to get a good portion of my calcium. Ideally it would be great if we could get our calcium from natural foods, but take a look at the sodium in 2% milk!!!!!

Certain sauces & condiments are loaded with sodium - so be careful on the types you use. I love salsa, but until I have a chance to make my own homemade - I'm passing on it for now!!

There are more & more reduced sodium items available on supermarket shelves, especially canned soups - which are notorious for lots of sodium. But homemade would still be better!!

I've become more adept at using herbs & other spices instead of salt when I cook.

Sorry I've rambled on so long - but I am convinced my weight loss accomplishments are because I track & limit my sodium.
    Even if it didn't help my weight loss, I'm glad to say it feels good to know I'm doing better re: my heart health.

Feel free to message me anytime and I wish you luck in whatever you choose to do :)

Prairie Rose
  • ChristineMiller2
    Options
    thanks for all of the great information!! :) I will definately use these ideas. My kids love hamburger helper, so I end up eating it and yeah busy lifestyles add to making this just a bit trickier lol