Is it possible to lose 50 pounds by walking alone?

Kforest0714
Kforest0714 Posts: 93 Member
edited September 25 in Health and Weight Loss
Curious

Replies

• sandram82
    sandram82 Posts: 615 Member
    You would need to walk lots, and eat right.. but if our thinking walking and eating whatever you want.. than no!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Do you mean not doing any other exercise? Maybe but the body will get used to doing the same thing after a while because it becomes part of the routine so regardless of what kind of exercise you do, you need to mix it up and continue to challenge yourself. Start slow if you're not used to exercising and eventually walk farther, try carrying weights, do more hills, do intervals of faster walking and eventually maybe even jogging intervals, etc.

P.S. If you mean not changing your diet and just adding wakling - not likely. It's all about calories in vs calories out. You can burn some of the calories and lose a bit of weight at first but eventually they'll even out and you won't lose anymore.
  • Mairgheal
    Mairgheal Posts: 385 Member
    Not if you would keep scoffing McD (as an example).

But as exercise alone you mean? I'd like to think so, but it would need to be decent walks of course.
  • Liatush
    Liatush Posts: 627 Member
    I'm doing it :)
  • fcrisswell
    fcrisswell Posts: 234 Member
    Some exercise is better than none. But, you will eventually have to step it up. And, you will find as you lose weight, you will feel better and WANT to step it up. Not to mention the boredom factor. I get bored with any one thing quickly and need the change.
  • BakingGranny
    BakingGranny Posts: 112 Member
    Are you asking if you need support behind you? If you're asking that then no you won't be able to do it alone. We all need accountability.
  • Alysgrma
    Alysgrma Posts: 365 Member
    I did it. Now I am doing some weights & the bike after losing my first 50lbs
  • gatorflyer
    gatorflyer Posts: 536 Member
    I would say it's possible, but it would likely take longer than say, if you walked AND also incorporated other types of exercises. However, walking alone (and not changing eating habits) will likely NOT enable you to lose 50 pounds.
  • BlueEyedMomma88
    BlueEyedMomma88 Posts: 558 Member
    Walking is a great form of exercise, but u might want to switch it up sometimes. Espicially if u want to get toned. Cuz walking alone won't do much toning for ya. Just my opinion tho.
  • soniams
    soniams Posts: 95 Member
    YES it is :) That is how I did it. I did also cut back on my food intake by tracking calories on MFP.

I try to change up my routes and through the process have discovered some great walking paths in my community. I use runkeeper.com to track my progress. That is great motivation.
  • TooFine4MFP
    TooFine4MFP Posts: 134 Member
    I think it depends on where you are health-wise. If walking is all you're able to do at this point, then concentrate on walking. I lost my first 30 lbs or so by just walking. Walking in my neighborhood and walking on a treadmill. I had already lost about 30 lbs before I ever thought of lifting weights and working out at a gym. It's definetly possible, but like others have said you really have to be disciplined w/ your eating and water intake. Also your body will get used to walking and your calorie burn will decrease since your heart rate won't go as high, so switching up is good. Do treadmill or walking a couple of days, do ellyptical or biking on other days.
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    Yes. Remember, you're losing weight by reducing your calories and doing more physical activity. Walking is a physical activity. Jared lost his weight by walking to Subway everyday, and eating subs. Although I don't recommend the sub diet, that's how he did it. Walk, clean house, walk some more, take out the trash, park farther away from the door, eat less, and wake up one day fifty pounds lighter. It sounds doable.
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    YES! Very possible indeed! 30 minutes a day is all it takes! (along with at least semi-decent food choices!) Walking has literally saved my life...Walking offers incredible benefits...Lowers stress, You'll sleep better...Feel better...Better all around!

Good luck!
  • pixietoes
    pixietoes Posts: 1,591 Member
    Walking is great exercise, especially if you don't exercise regularly now. It is possible to lose large amounts of weight by watching what you eat and using walking as your exercise of choice. However, you will not be able to lose all the weight by doing a minimal walking regimen week after week. You'll need to step it up as you go along, both in length of time and effort to continue seeing results. The good news is that as you lose weight and as your muscles strengthen, you'll be more able to do more in your workouts.

Walking has done great toning in my lower body, personally I'm glad it's not the only exercise I do but you'll make those choices as you go along.

Nutrition is going to be a big key for you in losing weight, changing your body chemistry and improving your health. Walking alone won't do it in the long haul but it's a great place to start.
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    I prefer to walk with someone, when I walk alone and I'm talking to myself people look at me like I'm a nut.

walking is better then sitting around good on you keep on trunking
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    YES......I am living proof. But I also eat healthier as well. When I began my weight loss journey, walking is what really made the weight come off. I had been losing, but once I bought a treadmill (and MADE myself use it), the weight began coming off more quickly and people really started noticing the loss.
    A longtime friend, who I had not seen during the time of my weight loss, asked me how I did it.......and I told him.....watched my carbs, wrote down everything I ate (also key), and "I walked my *kitten* of." He turned me around, and whispered in my ear, "Literally.":wink: When Dave died, just two short months later from Swine Flu, that is one of the stories I shared with his family.....it is one of my best memories of him.
    Kaye
  • Jaedynmoon
    Jaedynmoon Posts: 280 Member
    My dad lost 100 lbs doing Atkins and walking. He walked for HOURS a day though so he was doing a lot! Now he does other workout games on the Wii, treadmill but that weight was all from walking :)
  • fuzzymel
    fuzzymel Posts: 400 Member
    As long as you eat right too then yes.

The vast majority of my weight loss (50lbs) came through walking alone however I never toned up. Now for the last few lbs I have a varied routine and am starting to get a much better shape.
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,046 Member
    Thats the same question I had in my head before I started my walking for weight loss plan..and surely, got my shoes on..started walking 1-2 miles, then 3, 5, 7, and 10 miles throughout a six month period..All of last spring/summer, all I did was walk..sometimes 1-2 hours a day. It took me a while to watch my food, but all I did was watch my portions..I was not counting calories until Fall 2010 when I joined MFP. I lost my first 50 pounds between April-November 2010. Now i try other things..zumba, swimming, Wii fit, all still fun for me. I still walk mostly for weight loss today. I know I need to keep up with strength/weight training at least 30 minutes a day 3x a week.
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    YES! Very possible indeed! 30 minutes a day is all it takes! (along with at least semi-decent food choices!) Walking has literally saved my life...Walking offers incredible benefits...Lowers stress, You'll sleep better...Feel better...Better all around!

Good luck!

I just realized something..Walking is like a gateway exercise...When I first started walking..I had trouble completing a full mile....now...I walk many miles daily, built my endurance (a little)...and I've ventured out to try doing different activities..like Zumba..Dance Your A-- Off..Cardio Bootcamps; Sculpting and Toning..Even strength training...I'm willing to TRY new things..If I had never started walking, I would have never realized there's lots to do...

The hardest part of any journey is taking the first steps :) (or something philosophical like that)
This discussion has been closed.