how do i build up my running endurance?

Options
So I'm doing my first 5k June 4th. I did c25k and it was great until I hit the last three weeks where it's all straight running.I can do 20 minutes straight with a 9:40ish pace per mile. But I can't do 25 minutes straight...I have to stop. So i'm guessing I have to go back to the interval work. Anyone have a good workout plan or should I just go back and re-do some of the c25k but run it faster or adjust the workout time so it's closer to 30min? (i usually just run for 20 min and do 2 miles....recently i'm starting to slowly up my workout time to get closer to 30 min) I don't want to stop to walk during my 5k but I'm starting to feel like I do better if I run faster and take breaks.

Thoughts? Advice?

Replies

• wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Try the walk-run-walk method of training.

Walk for 1 minute - Run for 5 minutes - Walk for 1 minute.

You even walk when you're not fatigued.

Gradually expand your running intervals.
  • lisapickering
    Options
    It's better to walk then stop, so if you need to walk for a minute then do it and then start running again, and this is how you build endurance. The endurance will come you just have to work at it. Try and push yourself 1 more min. Be patient. When I started running 12 years ago I ran around the block and thought I was going to have a heart attack! Since then I have run 3 half marathons and one marathon. You can do it!!
  • runner915
    runner915 Posts: 106
    Options
    Once or twice a week I would try to slow down your pace a little bit. Run like a 30 seconds/mile slower than your race pace or even a little bit slower than that. The pace will feel pretty easy and so you should be able to go further. Just go a little bit longer and slower a couple of times a week, and then the other days you can focus on running faster. For my training plan, my race pace goal is 9:09 but I do my longer runs and easy runs at a 10:30 pace.
  • sdiaz23
    sdiaz23 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi i am in the same situation but I did start again from scratch with an app a friend told me about on my Iphone and i love it because i feel like i have a personal trainer by my side the whole time. its called Get Running...couch to 5k in 9 weeks. I am on week 4 and it just keeps getting harder but i have been able to get more endurance.

good luck!
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    The way I have done it was incorporating 3 different types of runs.

Running Day 1. Slower than normal to make it through the whole time without stopping

Running Day 2. Fast interval training. Try running for some distance at about 1min/mile faster than normal pace. Then recover for same amount of time. And cycle that. Start with a warmup slow jog and end with a cooldown slow jog

Running Day 3. Run/walk a further distance than normal at a comfortable (conversational) pace.

Those three things will increase indurance. However, remember not to increase your running by more than 10% /week to avoid overuse injuries.

Good Luck.
  • dante402
    dante402 Posts: 6
    Options
    I'm not a coach, but when I was younger, I was a distance runner and my coach would have us run more than our race distance but slower to build endurance. It's called, LSD... Long Slow Distance actually.

If you slowed down perhaps you could make it further than 5k without walking? The idea is that you run much farther but slower, so when race time comes you can speed up a bit and have enough endurance so that it wouldn't matter.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Try doing a Long Slow Run once a week. Basically 10 and 1's. You run for 10 minutes to stretch your threshold (not break it) and then walk for a minute with deep breating for recovery, then run another 10 and so on and so on. It helps to stretch your enduance. I save these for Saturday or Sunday's run when I have time.

You want to push your aerobic threshold without crossing it... and you do it repeatedly until your body has adapted to it.

This is one of the runs I use to prepare for a half or full marathon.

I also do a combination of Fartlek, Hills and Tempo runs to fill out my training.

I do TEMPO runs 2 days a week and alternate between Fartlek and Hills training the other runs.

A Tempo run is a straight run at 80% of your pace.
    Fartlek is speed training... run casually for 10 minutes and then sprint for 100m/200m whatever and then return to your normal pace. I have always found hills to be a hybrid of the two.

Add me as a friend and maybe I can help you with training ideals.
  • baldzach
    baldzach Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    Short answer: Run more.

Long answer: Run lots more. The more you run, the better you'll get. Also, crosstrain. Bike, swim, ellipticize (is that a word?) something to keep your heart rate up on days you are resting your running legs.

Good luck.
  • Mrs_TrimWaistFatWallet
    Options
    In addition to what everyone said (theres no 1 answer), try run walks where you gradually increase what % of your workout that you run + do occasional workouts with high intensity short run intervals to boost your speed.

I went from 5 mph tired short workouts 50% walking to 90 min 90% faster running workouts...and I could have kept going :)
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    another vote for run more (longer runs) and slow down your pace to the point where you can run without stopping

I wouldn't focus on speedwork until the endurance is there (as you'll get faster once you increase your endurance)
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    If you want to run it all, run slower! Under 10-minute miles is WAAAAY speedy for a first 10K. Try slowing down to 11 or even 12 minute miles. When you can do the distance, you can look at ramping up the speed. Good luck!
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    I would try slowing your pace and try and improve how long you can go for rather than doing run/walk
  • maserati185
    maserati185 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I've only been back to running for 3 weeks, so this is not expert advice but here's my 2 cents.

I think food (and water) plays an important role. Days that I've noticed my absolute best endurance are days on which I ate some form of eggs for breakfast (scrambled, cheesy, spinach omelette, boiled), kept my sugars/processed foods low or non-existent and drank enough water. Don't get discouraged if you don't *feel* like you are increasing speed. It will happen with more running. There is no rush. I know the 5k is a race - but I think the important thing, on your first go, is just getting there and experiencing it. ;)
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    someone on here suggested a banana just before a run. Ive been doing this and it gives me great stamina, better than other foods ive tried when ive been experimenting.
    I dont know what it is in bananas, but seems to work.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I would try slowing your pace and try and improve how long you can go for rather than doing run/walk
    This. I usually switch up my training.
    I have a slow pace one where I go for time and distance, and another day where I do intervals to work on speed.
    Seems to be helping.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others on going slower.

I went through the whole C25k plan doing 5mph (12 minute mile), then bumped it up to 5.5mph. I was happy with that pace.

When I did my first race on March 20th, I was amazed that I did the first mile in 9:17! That was faster than any of my training runs! That race was a 4.5 miler, and I wasn't ready to run the whole distance, but even with walk breaks, I finished with an average speed of 5.8mph.

After that, I started running at 6mph on the treadmill, since I knew I could do it. And a week later, I did my first 5k in 29:42... about 6.4mph! I didn't feel like I was running any faster than when I was training, but the race day endorphins are wonderful!

Yesterday, I did my 2nd 5k and finished at 27:56!!! A 9 minute mile! :smile: And, once again, I didn't feel like I was going any faster.

I really think that training slower builds more endurance. When it's race day, you will go faster and it won't seem any harder.

Also... Jelly Beans! My biggest hurdle is feeling thirsty and my throat getting dry. Eating a jelly bean every half mile or so keeps me from feeling parched.
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    You definitely need a long, slow run every week - start with intervals of running/walking and gradually build to running only - if you are looking to do 5Ks, your long run should eventually be around 50-60 minutes. You can start with 30-35 minutes and increase 5 minutes each week. If you only do 20 minute runs, you train your body to only be able to run 20 minutes.