Calling all Mom's of newborns and/or toddlers!!

Options
2»

Replies

• MamaReebs
    MamaReebs Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I have a 1 year old and a 2 year old. The only way I have survived is making sure my children were on a schedule from as early as possible. Once their schedules were established it made it much easier for me to plan my days and get my exercise in. Now I work 5 days a week so I get up at 4:30 and workout before anyone else is up. It is very important to make sure I have my kids in bed on time at night so I can get enough sleep to be able to get out of bed. And on the weekends I nap when my kids nap! :smile:
  • Newmammaluv
    Newmammaluv Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I'm a nap time-er. As soon as my daughter goes to sleep I've got the work out dvd in. Yesterday I did pilates :) She is 2 now though so I've been known to put on Zumba and just dance silly with her! When she was younger I would just dance with her. I mean I REALLY danced until I was out of breath. It started slow but we would just put on some good music and go as long as I could. It certainly helped with getting my energy levels up to do the rest.

"Naturally" thin people normally don;t have to set time aside to work out because they are always moving. Take a page out of their book and just make everything you do more energetic and you will naturally burn more calories.
  • staciforman
    Options
    I had my 3rd baby 3 months ago and 3 kids 4 and under so I feel your pain for being tired and trying to work out. I ran my first marathon before getting pregnant this last time so I too went from working out regularly to hardly anything because I get so sick during the first trimester. Honestly, nap times are great for working out but I still need a nap most days to keep up with 3 kids!! We are members at the YMCA which has been my blessing - if I can get all 4 of us in the car and there I get 2 hours of free child care to run/take fun classes or sit and drink a smoothie :wink: I don't know what your budget looks like, ours is tight, but this is so worth it for me, otherwise I'm not sure how I would get to work out. Plus the kids LOVE it and it's fun for them too. Hope this helps and congrats on baby. Everyone is right, since I've been working out and losing some weight I don't need as many afternoon naps any more!
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I agree with exercises with your baby. I know lots of gyms or PT centers offer the classes and you can go as long as your baby isn't crawling all over the room. You use them as weights and they get tummy time etc...
  • sundance2032
    sundance2032 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    One big thing is to workout in the morning, it will get you going, you will have more energy all day, and you will boost your metabolism to burn more fat allllll day. :)

Set your little on with you so you can talk to him (or as I do huff) while you are working out.

I know it is hard, I have a 4yo now and I just started the 30 Day shread with Jillian Michaels, it was 10.00 at walmart. It sais it is 20 min but that does not include the warm up and cool down so give yourself 30 min. It is great.. I lost 1.8 lbs in the first week.

And as she sais... "who doesnt have 20 min :)
  • Andi_Mo
    Andi_Mo Posts: 243
    Options
    1) Once you start execising again, you will have more energy
    2) Use nap times to do workouts in front of the tv or around the house
    3) Bust out that stroller and go for long, fast walks or start jogging if you are able.

This is EXACTLY my answer my friend! You can do it :)
  • MaKisMom
    MaKisMom Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I also had my 3rd baby 3 months ago (5.5, 3, and 3 months old), so definitely understand where you're coming from. I love Jillian Michaels workouts because they don't take that much time. I'm doing Ripped in 30 right now. I put it in as soon as my son goes down for his morning nap. It's hard with him, he only naps 40min max at a time. I'm not sure how long your baby naps, but JM's workouts are good even for short nappers. Once it's nicer out I'll be getting out more with my double stroller and the younger 2 kids while my 5yo is in kindergarten. That's how I lost all my baby weight and then some. And baby generally likes to be outside. My husband does shift work, so I kind of have to do my scheduling stuff myself. Go easy on yourself. I'm finding it's taking a bit of time to lose (I was in really good shape pre-pregnancy, too, gained 30lbs, and still have 8lbs to lose), but it's coming off.
  • mmrose00
    mmrose00 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Thanks you all SOOO much! The suggestions are great! I will incorporate the 30 day Shred back into my routine. I loved it before!

Thanks again!:flowerforyou:
  • monica208
    monica208 Posts: 229
    Options
    I have a two year old and a four month old. I excercise at night when my hubby is home. When my son was little I found a gym that had a babysitting room. That worked out great. Also the weather is getting nicer. I would go for as many walks as possible. Can someone watch the baby for an hr so u can workout? Also nap time is a good time to do a little workout. If you have on demand there are workout programs on there. Good luck to you