do you eat back the calories you burn during exercise?

Options
Just wondering....some say yes some say no! I am confused.
I have a limite of 1200 calories a day most days I dont even eat all 1200.
If I burn 500 calories during exercise does that mean for the day I need to eat
1700 caloies?

Replies

• pouringraina
    pouringraina Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    yes.
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    no but I try to eat at least 1200 per day of healthy stuff
  • ashleynicoleb
    ashleynicoleb Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    A lot of people get so heated about this question LOL. Some people are very adamant about always eating their exercise calories. Some people occasionally eat their calories back. Others never do.

You sort of just have to go through a trial and error period to see what works best for YOUR body. No point in people getting so uptight over this "controversial" topic.
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    A lot of people get so heated about this question LOL. Some people are very adamant about always eating their exercise calories. Some people occasionally eat their calories back. Others never do.

You sort of just have to go through a trial and error period to see what works best for YOUR body. No point in people getting so uptight over this "controversial" topic.
    Agreed, it works differently for everyone so try it both ways and see what happens. I tend to vary my intake each day so my answer would be yes & no. Good luck finding that balance! :bigsmile:
  • seckler
    seckler Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I eat mine back. Your body needs fuel...food is fuel. If you are trying to lose weight, My fitness pal already factors in your defecit so that you will lose weight so you need to eat them back.
  • michelle4271
    michelle4271 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I have asked this same question, and the response I recieved from a personal trainer / nutritinist is 80% rule, there fore, eat your 1200 calories and then 80% of your calorie burn (exercise/ free calories)
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I dont,im healthy strong and lose 1 to 2 pounds a week.
  • craek
    craek Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    If your body is burning that it needs to refuel. Not saying either is wrong. There are days where I don't eat them, days where I eat some, and some where I eat all. If you are building muscle, they need fuel or you could go into what they call "starvation" mode.
  • SaraEWrig
    SaraEWrig Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I do. Exercising makes me hungry - so I'd be totally hungry if I didn't. I guess it depends on your calorie allowance. I'm allowed 1240 calories/day (before exercise). That's too few for me to feel full on the days I workout. I find the day AFTER I work out with my trainer I'm extra hungry too, so I eat more. It doesn't have to be a hard and fast rule, just listen to what your body needs.
  • shannonshock13
    shannonshock13 Posts: 355 Member
    Options

Agreed :)

Some days i do and some days i dont and some days i only eat a portion back, im not really counting calories or anything i just eat when i feel hungry :happy:
  • missmilarae0213
    missmilarae0213 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I posted a message on this yesterday about NET calories. When I was 300 lbs, it wasn't so big a deal, I didn't work out that hard. But now that I work out more, it does make a big difference. If you find you are plateauing, it is because you aren't eating enough, most likely.

Here's the hypothethical math:

MFP says eat 1400 cals a day. Booya, no problem. You eat those. Then you go to the gym and burn off 700 of those calories. Grr! You're a beast! But your body screams red light because you've burned off those calories that you ate earlier that day (Do not pass go and do not collect $200.) So as far as your body is concerned, you've only eaten 700 calories that day. That might work for a lil bit, you could see some results, but long term and health-wise, its not enough. Eventually your metabolism will punk out on you.

I know this because I've been through it. Not all people are the same, but if you're asking the question its probably because its causing some mayhem in your plan. Try switching it up and eating up to your Net calories everyday for a week or two, see if it helps. Or maybe tone down the exercise a bit (maybe your working TOO hard). You will see results when you hit the equilibrium.

Best luck!

Emi
  • ChristineMiller2
    Options
    If I'm hungry I do, and thats most of the time lol
  • greer08
    greer08 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I posted a message on this yesterday about NET calories. When I was 300 lbs, it wasn't so big a deal, I didn't work out that hard. But now that I work out more, it does make a big difference. If you find you are plateauing, it is because you aren't eating enough, most likely.

Here's the hypothethical math:

MFP says eat 1400 cals a day. Booya, no problem. You eat those. Then you go to the gym and burn off 700 of those calories. Grr! You're a beast! But your body screams red light because you've burned off those calories that you ate earlier that day (Do not pass go and do not collect $200.) So as far as your body is concerned, you've only eaten 700 calories that day. That might work for a lil bit, you could see some results, but long term and health-wise, its not enough. Eventually your metabolism will punk out on you.

I know this because I've been through it. Not all people are the same, but if you're asking the question its probably because its causing some mayhem in your plan. Try switching it up and eating up to your Net calories everyday for a week or two, see if it helps. Or maybe tone down the exercise a bit (maybe your working TOO hard). You will see results when you hit the equilibrium.

Best luck!

Emi
  • greer08
    Options
    Sorry just learning how to quote people and get them together on the wall! Starstruck 213 I completely agree with what your saying I was just wondering how long it took for your plateau to end?

Cx:smile:
  • greer08
    Options
    :blushing: Sorry just learning how to quote people and get them together on the wall! Starstruck 213 I completely agree with what your saying I was just wondering how long it took for your plateau to end?

Cx
  • missmilarae0213
    missmilarae0213 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Ive been plateauing for about 2 months, but mostly because I was neglecting my net cals, only eating about 1200-1400 TOTAL a day and working out like I'm going to the olympics! Doesn't work. I was worn out and frustrated from no results.

Last two weeks, I made sure I ate enough, drank plenty of water, get plenty of SLEEP! And I've cut BACK on working out (no more than 700 calories a day - I was 1000-1200 calories worth of cross training everyday.) And the scales slowly moving down now (nothing magical but progress is progress!) I've dropped two inches on my waist and an inch on hips and bust, in addition to 3 lbs. :)
  • anewlifeingrace
    Options
    I have heard that we need to keep at 1200 cals net a day, minus your exercise, or your body won't keep losing, especially the fat!
  • greer08
    Options
    So glad to hear someone has been in the same boat as me! I was doing the same eating 1200 calories but working out everday 45 lengths of olympic pool 3 times a week and 2 spinning sessions a week and 1-2 gym sessions a week. I just could not understand why my weight was not budging so I started to do some research on calories and starvation mode. Then realised I needed to eat more as my body was living on about 600-700 calories a day. Scary to think that I was doing that to myself and didn't know. Anyway I have not started eating my calories and my excercise points but have been doing this a week only, and I just keep trying to get my head around ow eating more is going to aid me in loosing weight! Its good to hear it from someone who has actually been experiencing this! Guess I have to be patient! Anymore tips please let me know? Thanks :happy:
  • Rebjones612
    Rebjones612 Posts: 408
    Options
    Thanks for all the good tips!
  • nasdeo
    nasdeo Posts: 6
    Options
    how is everyone doing on this?? I am new to the site and just getting started.. but this is a concern of mine cause I don't want my body to hoard what I eat and not lose any weight or inches.. I have to get my weight and health in check but not working and 4 kids I have to figure out how to do this all on a budget.. hopefully come spring I can start my own garden and have unlimited access to the fresh produce of fruits and veggies :) .. would love to know how its going..

(feel free to add, I could use all the support and suggestions as possible)