Cheat/Free days, exercise calories & losing lbs

Options
13»

Replies

• josborn1012
    Options
    Bump for later read/reference. Thank you for this post.
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    I think cheat/free days is a bad perspective when it comes to weight management.. It's about as bad as the word DIET is. Common knowledge is that permanent weight loss and maintenance means making a lifestyle change entirely. We can never go back to just eating what we want, whenever we want and still maintain our healthy weight. We always have to count calories and keep track of our weight and adjust accordingly.

My grandfather now gone probably survived 20+ years on TV dinners alone ;). They are not the most healthy meals but if you look at them they have perfect sized meal portions. We look at them and say, That's It lol.. We Americans are fat because we are food gluttons. It's why we are the fattest nation in the world now. All you can eat buffets EVERYWHERE and in every food type. You know every thing we buy has a serving size. We all really need to start following those *using portion control* to break this slopping the hogs style of eating we've become accustomed to over the past 20 years or so. Good luck with you weight loss achievements!

I hate to accuse anyone, but you totally missed the point of my post. This wasn't about labels. To try to keep it from being that, that is why I titled it, "cheat/free days" because too many are paranoid about what some call it. Same thing as "lifestyle change vs diet." That totally was NOT the point of this.

The point was, people come on here and freak out because they went to a restaurant and OMG, they overate or had something they shouldn't have. There are NO RULES to what you can and can't have. One day, one meal, hell, even a few days of overeating isn't going to totally destroy someone's efforts. Just get back on course and get down to business.

This wasn't a post to judge what others eat. I was merely pointing out what I did and what might help others. Call it what YOU want. I don't care about labels...I'm a numbers person. The words, "diet, cheat, free day," etc. don't scare me or bother me. I have been here longer than you have and I have made this my chosen lifestyle. I know what I need to do to continue on this journey.

Unlike most people, I've had the fortunate experience of having had classes. I'm armed with the knowledge to get me through and I'll help anyone else who's serious about doing this.

FYI, I never did buffets. If I'm going to a restaurant and paying, someone had better wait on me!! As far as portions, I know exactly how to solve that issue, as well. I use salad plates, measuring tools and scales. Some say that after awhile you can go on visual measuring. I won't because I know how the eyes can deceive.

While I appreciate your comments, this wasn't about labels and I'm sorry if the word choices bothered you. To me, they're just words. That's why I tend to say, "cheat/free days" or whatever you want to call it.
  • dublvision2
    Options
    bump
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting!
  • janecl
    janecl Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Way to go! Keep up the good work and thanks for the post!
  • kelika71
    Options
    Thank you!! :)
  • Losershawn
    Losershawn Posts: 152
    Options
    Kelika thanks for sharing! I always struggle when I'm thinking about eating back the exercise calories. The working and not getting paid analogy was great.
  • kelika71
    Options
    Kelika thanks for sharing! I always struggle when I'm thinking about eating back the exercise calories. The working and not getting paid analogy was great.

You're welcome. :)
    I'm just glad I could help. I used to struggle with that, too. I totally get the fear and the frame of mind. I also know that when a person tries eating those calories, it can be tough due to the mind telling you opposite things.

However, I've read in many places...not just on MFP, that to lose, you got to eat. It's true...strange, but so true. :) Easier said than done, try to eat without any of that guilt.

Best wishes!
  • K9Lover
    K9Lover Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the great info and motivation.

Thankfully, I've pretty much been eating my exercise calories since Day One and have been meeting my goal of one pound/week. Recently, though, I've started weight training with a personal trainer and for the first time I've been feeling hungry and fatigued. I haven't been adding the training sessions as exercise on MFP because I dont have any idea how many calories it is and figured it wasn't that many as to make a difference. I'm now thinking I need to start adding them and eating those extra calories to avoid the hunger and fatigue. Any ideas on how to figure out how many?

Thanks again. Good effort to all. MFP is the best!