Fluctuation

Options
Do calories transfer over? For example, say my daily limit is 1800. Monday I only eat 1200, but on Friday I was to eat 2400. I just eat more/worse on the weekends, and really behave myself during the week. I haven't been setting out to do this, but it's just how it's happening. Am I self-sabotaging?

Replies

• kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately calories are not like rollover minutes, you have to eat them that day and can't save them up. It would be nice if you could so you could splurge on the weekends but just doesn't work that way:)
  • MrsMuffinRun
    Options
    I hope so because I am trying to be really good in the week and allow myself a bit of slack at the weekend (esp Friday night, when I am tired and grumpy and want a nice meal). I think you really have to monitor it though and make sure that the good days definitely outweigh the bad.
  • cheermom11
    cheermom11 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I just started calorie cycling last week to beat a plateau. It's working already. As long as your daily average at the end of the week is 1800, you're ok. It's good to shake it up so that your body doesn't get used to the same amount of calories each day.

From: http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

*Calorie cycling provides same amount of calories per week, but 'tricks' your body by constantly changing daily calories. This helps to prevent or break plateaus. Guideline only.
  • paul87920
    paul87920 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately calories are not like rollover minutes, you have to eat them that day and can't save them up. It would be nice if you could so you could splurge on the weekends but just doesn't work that way:)

I'm not disagreeing with you or anything (I'm coming from a place where I honestly didn't know) but would you be able to elaborate a little more because I'm not sure what I'm doing to myself.
  • roxie0920
    roxie0920 Posts: 41
    Options
    I support weekly calorie counting. Yes, you should count calories everyday. The bigger picture is your weekly calorie intake vs. calories burned and tracking your daily average. Splurging on the weekend won't weaken your weight loss, but it might lead to bloating, etc., which can look like weight gain.
  • paul87920
    paul87920 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I appreciate everybody's input.
  • melham
    melham Posts: 233 Member
    Options

I'm not disagreeing with you or anything (I'm coming from a place where I honestly didn't know) but would you be able to elaborate a little more because I'm not sure what I'm doing to myself.

+1 on the question about the "rollover minutes" post. Please elaborate on why the cut-off is one day, as that is not the same as advice I've read from other sources.
  • kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    It is hard to explain but found this article:

There's a great analogy to keep in mind when counting calories. You have a "bank account" of calories—a set limit on what you can "spend." Your account refreshes each day to the same amount. Once you've used this number of calories, you're over drafting your account. As a bank will tack on fees, your body will tack on pounds. Did you have some extra calories (money, in the analogy we're working with!) left over from the day before? Your balance can carry over to the next day, but make sure you aren't starving yourself one day in order to overindulge the next. Just like you would balance your checkbook, or at least monitor your account, you need to keep track of your calories in.

This is in my own words but similiar to what I've read:
    It is really confusing to your body if you are eating low all during the week and splurge on the weekend taking in much more calories in just one meal. When you do go back to eating the next day at lower calories, your metabolism may stall and start storing fat since it's not getting say 1000 calories in one meal. (or whatever you consumed in the one big meal over the weekend) It's best to really earn those weekend calories with extra exercise. Hope this helps some:)