Is it that important to measure - photo your body?

Options
I do weigh myself everyday (this keeps me on track) but just wondering how important is it to measure or photo yourself. If I was to measure what parts of the body should I do?

Replies

• craek
    craek Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on what you want to do. I rely on photos and measurements more then I number on a scale. Pictures tell a thousand wards! You'd be amazed at the way you see yourself in a mirror then look at pictures and saw WOW, I really look good here.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Measurements help when you're not seeing "Scale progress" but are tightening up.

Chest, waist, upper arms, thighs.... See what measurements are indicated on MFP and add the ones you want. I wish I'd done my measurements when I was at my peak weight, I think I'm seeing huge progress in certain areas and not so much in others but it's all down to opinion since I didn't have measurements to go by.
  • slaos07
    slaos07 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I wish I had asked this question when I first started and gotten this answer - YES! Maybe not important, but worthwhile, motivating, etc. I didn't measure until I was almost 2 months in. When i finally did measure, I know I've lost some inches, but I have no idea how many. It is a really good motivator when you aren't seeing the scale move, but you can see the inches shriking off. I also wish I had a head to toe starting photo. Ihave one from Christmas, but you can't see everything and I would LOVE to be able to compare a full-length picture, in the same outfit, now to see how far I've come. If I could go back and change anything about this journey thus far, it would be to do the measurements and pics on Day 1. Good Luck!
  • TheDeviation
    Options
    I do weigh myself everyday (this keeps me on track) but just wondering how important is it to measure or photo yourself. If I was to measure what parts of the body should I do?
    I wouldn't weigh in everyday. Once a week at the most. That aside, take pictures of whatever parts you're trying to improve. You'll feel even better when you reach your goal.
  • kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Hi measuring is very important! Some weeks you may not show loss on the scales but lose many inches which is a huge victory. I weigh and measure weekly. I measure bust, waist, abdomen, hips, thighs and arms. Good luck to you:)
  • anitanz
    anitanz Posts: 72
    Options
    Yeah I really wish I took a picture of myself in my bikini at the start. It is really hard to tell from the scale.. I think it would be great to take a picture at the start of each month. I haven't done that though!
  • AngiMoss
    AngiMoss Posts: 77
    Options
    I never bothered measuring myself, but the last few weeks I have been working really hard & not seeing a lot of movement on the scale. So, I measured my neck, my waist, my hips, my upper arms and my thighs. Then measured again two weeks later. Despite only showing that I lost less than half a pound in two weeks, I noted that I lost 2 inches off of my waist, an inch off of my thighs, 1/2 inch of my neck, etc. So, it gave me that confidence boost that all my efforts weren't for nothing. Now I wish that I had taken them when I was at my biggest! The proof is in the pudding. Hmmmm.....pudding.
  • wysmom2000
    wysmom2000 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I wish I would have had some "before" photos to look back on now. I don't even have a candid because I never wanted to have my picture taken looking as frumpy as I did. I regret that now. I can't show any of my new friends how far I've come because there is no proof. I did take measurements when I started my fitness journey back in June and am glad I did. I definitely recommend photos and measurements. You'll be glad you did in the end.
  • MrsMuffinRun
    Options
    I think it probably is a good idea. Before yesterday, I would have said no but I had a go at taking a profile shot of my belly (covered up thank you) and very difficult it was too to get the right angle to get the shot. But having succeeded, it confirmed what I suspected, that I look about 6 months' gone (and I'm not). I doubt I will want the photographic evidence later on though. If I get to my goal weight I will delete the pics and move on!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Photos are great because you look at yourself every day and might not really appreciate the slow changes. I personally wasn't feeling great about where I'm at even though I'm halfway to goal because I've been stuck since November. However, just last week I went to visit my Dad and he had my picture up from Christmas 2009 and holy cow - what a difference!! That's definitely going to serve as my before picture!!