nanny question

Options
waverly9876
waverly9876 Posts: 605 Member
I know this has nothing to do with the site but I have an interview today for a summer nanny job. The hours are from 730-6 and she wanted me to give her an idea of what kind of pay she wanted. I dont want to ask too high and not get it, but I dont want to be working for nothing. My question is;- how much would u ask for? OR how much would u pay someone to watch two kids (6+8) from 730-5 or 6)

Thanks!

Replies

• lilcrittert
    lilcrittert Posts: 105
    Options
    I would call a local daycare and see what they charge for those hours and those age kids.....you'll be giving them more one on one time so you be comparable to the daycare.
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Try looking up some of the rates of local daycare/childcare centers. In my opinion I think you charge close to the same weekly rate they would....if not more.
    If she is serious about having good care for her kids she will pay for it. If you know this is a person that cannot afford the extra cost and you are doing her a favor then that's different. But it sounds like this is a serious job interview....so don't ask for less than what your abilities are worth.
  • Dreamerlove
    Dreamerlove Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I charge 10 an hour for one kid and 11 -12 for two kids. I've been a nanny and babysitter for years, they all charge this amount. So if you ask for less, you are REALLY giving her a discount. Day cares are about 150 a week so pretty much a deal again.
  • Lsng4good
    Lsng4good Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I've been a babysitter for several years... Ask for about 10/ hour or 10.50 since you will be watching two kids. No less than 10.
  • dekarlo08
    dekarlo08 Posts: 102
    Options
    I don't know what pay scales are like where you live but I work in childcare and alot of the girls who work for me also do nanny work during the summer and they charge around $10 an hour for 2 children.
  • waverly9876
    Options
    I am a nanny now after school and I get paid 12.00 an hr. But this family do have the money (they live in the same neighborhood) and i know the houses are not cheap. But if I ask for 10-12 an hr, that is 550 a week.. Would a family pay that much a week?
  • pammyxjean
    pammyxjean Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    i know a lady that charges 75 bucks per week per child, that seems reasonable considering other nannys! You could probably charge more
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the area where you live. I agree with calling around to daycare centers and inhome centers to get and idea of what they charge per week.
  • kacylaine
    kacylaine Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I was a nanny for 2 kids from 7:30 to 6 and made 250 a week, but that was 8 years ago.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    if you have formal training no less than $15...hell I'd ask for $15 plus expenses anyways...i worked for 12/hr, 1 child with severe special needs, only on weekends
  • manymuses
    manymuses Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    It depends on your area. In the DC area, I have been paying upwards of $15-20/hour for my babysitter.

Hope you find a great family!
  • waverly9876
    Options
    i know a lady that charges 75 bucks per week per child, that seems reasonable considering other nannys! You could probably charge more

I dont understand how somoene could charge 75.00 a week . If I asked for that, I would be making 2.00 an hr. UM NO!
  • BriannaSkye
    BriannaSkye Posts: 135
    Options
    It depends on where, I was about 35 minutes from NYC and was getting $600 a week to watch two children. I had a great reputation going around so I had two people keep upping their price to get me!
  • cheermom11
    cheermom11 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I'm in the child care field and charge my parents $320 per week for that age group during summer.
  • SamiSamiBoBlammy
    SamiSamiBoBlammy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I charge 10 an hour for one kid and 11 -12 for two kids. I've been a nanny and babysitter for years, they all charge this amount. So if you ask for less, you are REALLY giving her a discount. Day cares are about 150 a week so pretty much a deal again.

So you would charge $525 a week for 1 child?? :huh: Do you have State Licensing and First Aid Certification?

I have 2 kids ages 7 and 10, and I pay $130 a week for daycare during the summer. Drop them off around 730 and pick them up at 530 M-F. Daycare provides breakfast lunch and snack.
    I do have to pay extra when they have activities (such as swimming or skating)
  • CandiesAndSweets
    CandiesAndSweets Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    When I worked as a nanny couple of years ago, I charged 12/h for one child and 14/h for both. But definitely check what's common in your area.
  • CandiesAndSweets
    CandiesAndSweets Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    When I worked as a nanny couple of years ago, I charged 12/h for one child and 14/h for both. But definitely check what's common in your area.
  • tamanella
    tamanella Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    My daughter just applied for a nanny position that is paying anywhere from $15 - $25 an hour...
  • Dreamerlove
    Options
    Put it this way...a family will pay you 10-12 an hour, wither this one or another, someone will.
  • Dreamerlove
    Options

So you would charge $525 a week for 1 child?? :huh: Do you have State Licensing and First Aid Certification?

I have 2 kids ages 7 and 10, and I pay $130 a week for daycare during the summer. Drop them off around 730 and pick them up at 530 M-F. Daycare provides breakfast lunch and snack.
    I do have to pay extra when they have activities (such as swimming or skating)

I do have my license, CPR, first aid and 5 years exp. Maybe its the state I live in but that's what you pay here.