My name is Annie...and I am a SALT ADDICT! HELP!

AJBond
AJBond Posts: 14
edited September 25 in Food and Nutrition
I seriously am addicted to salt! I put it on EVERYTHING! YEP...before I even try it. I LOVE it. . ..However, I need to say good-bye! Any suggestions on how to lower my intake would be SOOO GREATLY appreciated! Thanks so much!!!!

Replies

• carlybarley22
    carlybarley22 Posts: 197 Member
    Maybe start with putting half of the salt as usual on something, and downgrade from there. Once you haven't had it for a while, you won't miss it. Try different salt-free seasonings from the store for more flavor.
  • skinnyme125
    skinnyme125 Posts: 396 Member
    If i need to use salt in something I use this stuff called no salt. It is better for you and still tasts like salt. Plus you could try a new herb or seasoning. I use lemon peper on almost everything and it is good for you. I put in on veggies, noodles and meat of all kinds. it is great.
  • I agree, ease off slowly, otherwise your taste buds will seriously rebel. And play with different herbs and spices, you may want more if you're not salting as much. Also be prepared once you ease back to think that restaurant food is horribly salty. :noway:
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Throw away the shaker!

Yep.

I never use mine.
  • stred321
    stred321 Posts: 48
    Annie I am exactly the same- I have salt on EVERYTHING and yes! Even before tasting it!! 2 days ago I went cold turkey and I have to admit its all a bit bland at the moment ( i am still adding a pinch whilst cooking as i regard that as 'normal'!!) but I am sure I will get used to it! I figured as I was overhauling my diet I may as well do it now!! Good luck!!
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    for sure eliminate process/pre-packaged and restaurant meals for most part...
    salsa is another huge source of sodium, as is cheese and most canned soups etc

always look for no salt added versions of canned tomatoes etc *S*

edited to add: i have been there myself *S*
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/ShellyMacchi/view/rock-eaters-annonymous-76047
  • JDGA80
    JDGA80 Posts: 1
    try the morton potasium salt substitute. it tastes good and all it is is potasium
  • staciekins
    staciekins Posts: 453 Member
    try the morton potasium salt substitute. it tastes good and all it is is potasium

Exactly what I was going to say... :happy: kudos
  • Akaratel
    Akaratel Posts: 137 Member
    I loved "salt sense" as i am a salt fanatic also. I cannot find it lately, but it doesn't taste any different when you are switching to it. Just be ware if you switch back to regular or use restaurant salt it is very very strong. so use less.
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    I use "No Salt," too. One thing I will advise people with using this or any potassium supplement of any kind: Talk to your doctor or pharmacist prior to usage!

Too much Potassium can be dangerous!! Unless you know for a fact you're safe in using it, don't chance it. If you don't want to ask, just give up the salt, please.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Believe it or not, it's not so much "table" salt that is the problem but all the OTHER "hidden" Sodium that is the problem. Example: If you allow yourself 2300mg per day; if you eat 2oz of regular deli turkey breast = 510mg (right there, almost 1/6 of your total for the day), say you eat something from a can, like spinach or beans or tuna...about 350mg per serving; if you eat regular cheese, another 350mg per serving; bread, regular sliced about 160mg per slice; biscuits about 500 mg per...and IF you eat frozen meals, so called "Healthy" choices/low calorie, thousands mg of sodium in each meal; canned veggies, Eating OUT and on and on and on! If you put table salt on this stuff, then WOW!

So if you really want to be healthy you really have to track your sodium, and WATCH what you buy. NOW most markets have sections with foods that are sodium free or lower sodium choices, buy this and add your own, You control what you eat. You can also try using more herbs and spices (BE careful about some mixes, they have Salt in them!) But living a healthy lifestyle is all about choices...giving up this or that, to have something else on a particular day...You have to be willing to make hard choices to live and be healthy.
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    I seriously am addicted to salt! I put it on EVERYTHING! YEP...before I even try it. I LOVE it. . ..However, I need to say good-bye! Any suggestions on how to lower my intake would be SOOO GREATLY appreciated! Thanks so much!!!!
    You are a drug addict, now do not freak at me, hear me out. I to am a salt lover but we must recognize that the problem here is not the taste of it as much as what it does for us. read this http://www.healthandnutritiontips.net/salt_cravings/salt_cravings.html. Now I got off it by weaning myself off it, cutting it down every day until I was done took me about 3 weeks total, but like one of the previous posters said the main problem is that its in nearly every processed food on the go. Its bloody hard to get it down to an acceptable level unless you go clean eating and as little processed food as you can. I try my best but I still have trouble some days coming in on target. So my advice is to wean yourself off it. I did it with sugar and salt you can to.
  • quoyle
    quoyle Posts: 8 Member
    I have salt cravings and have learned it can be indicative of adrenal fatigue. But if you have plenty of energy then it's not likely the problem. I have been having low energy so I was researching some things.... Anyway, I say cut out salt from processed foods and use sea salt on your food and you are good to go. There are a lot of good minerals in sea salt and if you don't have high blood pressure it shouldn't cause any issues. Plus, it improves the flavor of the ingredients.
This discussion has been closed.