Does Where Your Calories Come From Matter?

Options
13»

Replies

• therobinator
    therobinator Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    Hubby and I started out saying we would have a cheat meal once a week. Its been 2 weeks now since we've done that. After a while I think we want those things less but if you can work them into your calories once in a while, why not? Variety is the spice of life!
    My DH and I have had the same experience -- the better we eat, the less we crave the junk -- not that we don't ever crave it, but we just want it so much less than before.
  • therobinator
    therobinator Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    I still enjoy ice cream (yes the full real stuff, not the "light" crappy stuff).

Even butter is better for us than all of those fake butters. Butter has nutrients!!.
    Yes!! Yes!! I would rather eat a little bit of something that is bad for me but still a "real" food, over junkfood or fake food substitutions. :)
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    i dont think it matters if you eat crap food here and there. I think ideally as long as youre getting your vitamins, your protein and your fibre, then apart from that, how you get your calories is up to you.

I have no interest in eating clean. I LIKE dirty food. I just try not to eat too much of it.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want and do not care if its processed or not,to be 100% honest.And since I already know I can keep the weight off like that I also dont worry about it.
  • zognorf
    zognorf Posts: 13
    Options
    How long have you stuck to the clean foods? My wife notices a difference after a couple of days...it take me WEEKS to feel better--but eventually, I do. and I mean feeling a LOT better "all of a sudden". Different people have different reactions, and some are more in touch with their bodies than others. I'm one of the rationalize-the-potato-chips-today kinda people, so I suspect it takes me longer to feel good because I'm not paying attention to how bad I feel, either.

Stick to it till you feel good, THEN see if you still want the bad food.
  • jen1516
    jen1516 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    i dont think it matters if you eat crap food here and there. I think ideally as long as youre getting your vitamins, your protein and your fibre, then apart from that, how you get your calories is up to you.

I have no interest in eating clean. I LIKE dirty food. I just try not to eat too much of it.

Love it! Hahaha. I don't think I could ever go clean either.
  • merflan
    merflan Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Yes it matters. For your health and well being - the healthier you eat, they healthier you are.
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Clean does not mean super vegetarian nazism lol, it means that the bulk of the diet come from unprocessed foods, I get a kick out of ppl who look at me all wide eyed and say "you eat a clean diet".
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Variety is the spice of life. You're right, eating chicken and egg whites is going to get very old. You need to take baby steps. You goal should be to stay within your caloric goals, but enjoy your food. I love every thing that I put in my mouth, and if I don't want something I don't eat it. You need to be creative and seek out other people's advice on good recipes. I made lasagna last week that I ate and still logged a loss the next day. Moderation, portion size, variety... it doesn't matter what you eat. Strive for a balance. Try to limit the simple carbs (ie those twinkies and pretzels), try to limit the bad fats (twinkies lol), and load up on fruits and veggies. Once you've got that, fill in the rest as you see fit (hello... chocolate?!!?)

Why all the twinkie bashing lol

A successful diet is one that you can stick to long term and enjoy. To answer your question, in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter much. Macros.....protein, carbs, fat, no matter the source will provide the same effects when it comes to weight loss.
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Variety is the spice of life. You're right, eating chicken and egg whites is going to get very old. You need to take baby steps. You goal should be to stay within your caloric goals, but enjoy your food. I love every thing that I put in my mouth, and if I don't want something I don't eat it. You need to be creative and seek out other people's advice on good recipes. I made lasagna last week that I ate and still logged a loss the next day. Moderation, portion size, variety... it doesn't matter what you eat. Strive for a balance. Try to limit the simple carbs (ie those twinkies and pretzels), try to limit the bad fats (twinkies lol), and load up on fruits and veggies. Once you've got that, fill in the rest as you see fit (hello... chocolate?!!?)

Why all the twinkie bashing lol

A successful diet is one that you can stick to long term and enjoy. To answer your question, in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter much. Macros.....protein, carbs, fat, no matter the source will provide the same effects when it comes to weight loss.

Your fault! I've had twinkies on the brain lol
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    Yes, it does matter where the calories come from. If it's mainly carbs which are sugar once broken down it's up to what your body does with them. I found it very interesting watchin FAT HEAD I recommend you watch it so it can explain it to you a lil better. Like the twinkie diet, you lose weight.... Muscle weight that is, but you keep the fat! So yea, it really does matter where the source of calories are comin from.

If I may add, I lost 75lbs and have kept it off for over 2.5 years. I didn't lose the weight eating everything and anything I wanted. Everything should be in moderation. Once you understand food and how your body uses it then you will be able to lose the weight and keep it off. And for those who claim it doesn't matter where the source of calories come from they obvisiously don't know how the body breaks down food and how it is used.
  • seemichellerun
    Options
    There are a lot of schools-for-thought on this one, so you're likely to get a lot of answers.

I recent read about a researcher who published a manuscript detailing his food/weight-loss experiment on himself. The "Twinkie Diet". He only ate a low number of calories for 10 weeks, but it all came from complete junk (like Twinkies!). He lost 27 pounds, and his 'health' numbers (blood pressure, cholesterol, etc.) all improved. The conclusion was that it is the calories that count, not the source of the calories.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

Here is the thing with the Twinkie diet dude, if my math is correct, he only lost 18 lbs of fat and actually lost 9 lbs of LBM. Which comes to 1 lbs of muscle for every 2 lbs of fat. Yeah, that doesn't sound to good to me. I'd be pretty upset if I lost 9lbs out muscle. Muscle is what makes you look good naked, and well, I want to look good naked.
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Yes, it does matter where the calories come from. If it's mainly carbs which are sugar once broken down it's up to what your body does with them. I found it very interesting watchin FAT HEAD I recommend you watch it so it can explain it to you a lil better. Like the twinkie diet, you lose weight.... Muscle weight that is, but you keep the fat! So yea, it really does matter where the source of calories are comin from.

If I may add, I lost 75lbs and have kept it off for over 2.5 years. I didn't lose the weight eating everything and anything I wanted. Everything should be in moderation. Once you understand food and how your body uses it then you will be able to lose the weight and keep it off. And for those who claim it doesn't matter where the source of calories come from they obvisiously don't know how the body breaks down food and how it is used.

It does not matter for weight loss. Yes a twinkie diet will cause you to lose muscle but that is not what we are talking about. Many leading nutrition guys agree the effects of a junk food diet compared to a clean diet will yield very similar results, as long as the macros and calories are the same. Not many studies have been done on this, but what has been done supports this.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I think that it matters! In the new version of the Eat Clean Diet book, Tosca Reno says that someone who eats clean may lose weight on 2,000 calories a day but gain weight on 1,600 cals of junk. And by junk i think she means a diet consisting of mainly processed foods and little whole foods.

you said "For example, what I've been eating lately is fruits, veggies, nuts, chicken, egg whites, and the occasional protein shake. The only problem with a diet like this, it gets OLD really fast and I'm afraid there is no way I'll be able to eat like this long term."

It sounds like you need a good clean eating cookbook to give you some more options :)

I was thinking the same thing.............

Are you eating the same meats, fruits, veggies? Why not whole eggs? They are fabulous for you.

Experiment with different herbs and spices - you can get the ground versions at first and then transition over to fresh if you like.

Bay leaves, oregano, basil, garlic, red pepper flakes, sea salts ( i use different colors and textures depending on what I cook), cumin, tarragon, etc.............they will really change up the taste of your foods.

search online for recipes and such. You will be amazed at what you find.
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    It does not matter for weight loss. Yes a twinkie diet will cause you to lose muscle but that is not what we are talking about. Many leading nutrition guys agree the effects of a junk food diet compared to a clean diet will yield very similar results, as long as the macros and calories are the same. Not many studies have been done on this, but what has been done supports this.
    I would like to know where you get your info as you say a lot of "studies" have been done on this stuff and to some degree you may be correct but I have also seen you dole out a lot of bad advice as well or at least what can be construed as bad advice based on the same "studies" I think that you may need to do some more research on it. We all need to find what works for us as there is no one simple answer but there are set of guidelines which work quite well when applied correctly. I disagreed with you before on a few points. Now you may have found what works for you and if so that is great but when some of what I hear completely contradicts common sense then I think we need to look more closely on these studies or at least quote a source so we can see them for ourselves.