Constipation help

Options
Constipation has made the scale not even budge for the last 3 days. Any tips to overcome constipation. I have lost 5 pounds so far and Im stuck at 140. Im on a 1200 day diet and don't do cardio unless I take the baby on a walk help and has any one lost weight on here with out adding the cardio peice to it? I know the walking helps and I want to get out there more but I live in Minnesota and the weathers been too cold the last couple of days. for days i can't walk though will i still lose weight if i keep myself right at 1200 i have already lost 5 pounds doing that except for now im very constipated and I need to get rid of it uhhg : (

Replies

• bobball
    bobball Posts: 57
    Options
    Coffee. and running do the trick for me.
  • fearlessfatty
    fearlessfatty Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    i love fibre pills. i take one at each meal. the first week or so it caused me a little cramping because my body was so unused to moving food through properly. my cousin swears by ex-lax while, in a pinch, coffee and salads with raisins will get things going more naturally.

good luck!
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Walking or any exercise will help your constipation.
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    try upping your water intake.. i found i needed to be getting at least 9-10 glasses a day in order to remain 'problem free' *L* 8 was just not enough
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I feel this one girl!

Metamucil and lots of water have helped me - its a good fiber and not a laxative, but will give good results for many. research it alittle on line and you'll see many benefits.

One thing I used to do when my kids were babies for exercise was to dance in my own living room. Just stretch and move to whatever music I liked. Maybe that could help you?

best!
  • kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Hi ...are you drinking lots of water? That works for me plus getting in plenty of fresh fruit and veggies. High fiber cereals are great too. I love kashi go lean cereal. Really fills you up and sticks with you. Great laxative too since it is packed with fiber. Hope this helps and good luck to you.
  • erikawatson24
    Options
    You can try the video workout by Leslie Sansone "Walk Away The Pounds", its a 2 mile walk/workout that you can do without leaving home. This video is grat and it actually works!
  • jrt9999
    jrt9999 Posts: 114
    Options
    Fiber makes all the difference. Switch to whole grains and lots of fruit and veggies. Start tracking your daily fiber intake and shoot for 30 or more a day.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Lots of water and fibre. I had the same problem to start with. Now I try most days to get about 30- 35 grams of fibre. So far so good.
  • cbsnipes
    cbsnipes Posts: 3
    Options
    As for losing weight with just walking and watching the calories, yes you can. 99% of what I do is plain and simple walking. Started Jan. 1 and 24lbs down so far. I have my goal set for 2 lbs per week and walk 3-5 times per week and normally 1.5 to 3 miles. And I drink about 14 cups of water a day.
  • stitcherbeth
    Options
    You can lose weight without the exercise, but you really need both to feel your best. Some indoor exercise dvds may help. There are some quiet ones, and ones just for walking in place. You can work around the baby's schedule and exercise during nap times. There are also games like the Wii. Are you far enough after the baby to do sit ups or crunches of some kind? That might help tummy. In the meantime, eat your veggies and drink more water.
  • daniran
    daniran Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    If you are speaking laxatives - Magnesium Citrate (saline laxative) works very quickly and flushes you out (you'll feel like a loads been taken off) (literally). For ongoing cleansing cascara segrada and/or psyllium husk (I prefer orange flavored). Now the psyllium husk will cleanse out old fecal matter as well. This will help allow nutrients to be absorbed through the intestinal walls, thus you will want to eat less because your body is getting more nutrition from your intake. These are just suggestions. If you want to get more information on any one of these I've mentioned, we're on the internet - check it out. Hope this info has been helpful.
  • mssugarca
    mssugarca Posts: 75
    Options
    I would check with your Dr on this one....I have the same issue....when I eat poorly I poop fine but when im exercising and eating well, not so much....I went to my dr to talk about it because I dont want constipation to affect my loosing weight. She told me that your body can become dependant on things like metamusil and laxitives. She suggested that I take some vitimin C and she prescribed some magniseum (sp). Now im not talking vitamin C chewables....im talking powdered really intense vitamin C that I got from a health food store. both have been working daily....However I did not verify whether or not my body will become dependant on these natural helpers....Im going to talk to her next month to ask her. Luckily I have a very hippy dippy dr who is not a drug pusher and always opts for the natural remedy first...she is wicked....but honestly you should consult a dr before trying any suggestions on here...

I also couldnt understand why I was having issues in this area because I am eating over my daily amount of fibre and vitamin C because I eat so many fruit and vegitables. But I recently read some where that exercising can surpress your bowels....so do some research and talk to your DR....good luck honey
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Hey Neighbour to the south... I'm from Manitoba... I hear ya about the weather being cooler.

Water, Fiber and Exercise should get things moving again. That is about the only things I know of.

Try to avoid any laxatives as they can become habit forming and make it even harder the next time.
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    im having the same problem. I dont excercise either (cant), and i dont drink coffee cuz it depletes water in ur system and u need water to loose. I drink 20cups of water a day so im def getting enough of that, and yesterday i went over on fiber and still am only going to the bathroom just a tad bit instead of my normal amount (havent went at all today and its nearing 2pm which isnt normal for me). i eat plenty of salad and other veggies but only a bit of fruit a day.

Also, if you cant excercise outside, do things inside. the only excercise i do is jogging in place, about 5 minutes total per day (All i can do--and i do it 1-2minutes at a time, throughout the day). I also sometimes will turn on music and dance around.. u can also do lunges, karate kicks, sit ups, stretching, etc all in doors without equipment.
  • carpar1
    carpar1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Had the same problem....I used Milk of Magnesia, you can purchase at the drugstore. I took a full dose (4 Tablespoons) 2 days in a row,thank goodness I was home because it worked.....might want to start with 2 TBSP if you decide to try, and drink lots of water after ingesting MOM.
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem. I'm gonna try a salt water cleanse this weekend, because I really don't want to depend on laxatives.
  • coderchris
    coderchris Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Benefiber and more water.....you can take it three times a day every day to keep things moving along. I mix it in my coffee and milk at meal times. They have some chewable tabs for when you are not at home. Hope this helps.
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    ronda_gettinghealthy Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    check with your doctor to make sure you are not obstipated or have some blockage- then enema- if necessary- after lots of water and easy with the fiber at first (sometimes to much fiber in a sudden change of eating habits can also slow your bowels) but most important check with your doc. good luck
  • kmanfredo1212
    Options
    Hey! I have this same problem.....and unfortunately due to finding out last month that my sister has colon cancer...now I have family history of cancer. I have always had problems with chronic constipation, so I went to a gastroenterologist to schedule myself for a colonoscopy. He told me to take Miralax everyday. Just put in a glass of juice or water and drink up. It's tasteless and really seems to move things along. He said that it just puts more moisture in the bowel and helps you stay regulated. It's working for me!!!! :-)

Hope this helps!
    Kathleen