Counting Exercise Calories Burned

marte80
marte80 Posts: 25 Member
edited September 25 in Health and Weight Loss
I need some help!

I would like to walk on the street, ride a bike, swim, or other activity outside the gym but I am having trouble understanding how to calculate those exercised calories. I have been stuck in the gym on the treadmill or ellipitical because it gives me a number of calories burned to put in MFP.

I saw one member who did a Zumba class put in her claories burned, how does she know? I know this may seem dumb, but if anyone has a formula to calories burned or some advice, I would appreciate it.

MFP has been wonderful. This is the first time in my life I know confidently I will be successful at weight loss!

Replies

• FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    get a good heart rate moniter ,I hear the ones with the strap are the best.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,423 Member
    There are lots of exercises in the database.
    Search for walking, cycling, jogging etc and you will find lots of entries. Just enter the minutes and mfp will estimate the calories for you.
    Good luck with your MFP journey :)
  • amydray
    amydray Posts: 26
    http://www.my-calorie-counter.com

i put in my activity, weight, and time.. gives a rough estimate:)
  • a heart rate monitor! :) they have really complex ones and pretty simple ones. i have one for your wrist that was $60 at Academy but i know they can run upwards of $100, it just depends on how much stuff you want it to do. good luck!
  • TabiHerbalifeCoach
    TabiHerbalifeCoach Posts: 691 Member
    Heart Rate Monitors, as well as the Body Bugg or similar to , if you get a Heart Rate Monitor get one that has a strap to go around your chest is is extremely more accurate. Polar is a good brand.
  • recipe4success
    recipe4success Posts: 469 Member
    definitely the most accurate thing is a heart rate monitor but the estimates on this site as helpful as well.

i wouldn't get TOO concerned with how exact your calories burned is for exercise. the most important is that you ARE exercising. during the exercise you should have a good idea of how hard you are working, and that along with the time you exercised is a good measure of success to me. not whether you burned 100 or 400 calories. but that is just my opinion.
  • Cathy92
    Cathy92 Posts: 312 Member
    I agree with Shygal, don't get too caught up in how many calories are burned during exercise. I will do eliptical on different machines and get different calculations...I just use a 'low' one to be sure I'm 'safe'. I think that even when calculating food calories, it's hard to be 100% accurate if you cook and it's not pre-made. Whatever, if you log-in your calories and exercise regularly, you should lose weight. The only time I think it's really important to be accurate is when you have a definite weight loss goal per week. I'm still struggling with that one.
This discussion has been closed.