5k/Marathon training

Options
I typically run Mon,Wed, and Fri. On Mondays i do intervals for 2miles. Wed i do a regular run either for 2miles or 3miles. Fridays are my long runs. I am starting to do 4-5miles for my long runs. Eventually i plan to go raise the miles. I was wondering how do you guys train for a 5k or marathon.

Replies

• PegasusDeb
    PegasusDeb Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I'm curious too. I've just decided to sign up for my first one May 21. Is this enough time? I was looking at the Couch to 5k program. I am not a runner normally.
  • missy1970eb
    missy1970eb Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    i did 5k last yr and did 3 days running and walking for about an hr a day, this yr doing 10k running twice a week, am walking everyday as well to build up fitness level, and a day or 2 of cycling
  • vonalj
    vonalj Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I use training programs from hal hidgon! I have 2 half marathons and a marathon under my belt and am currently training for another half in may!

halhidgon.com

best of luck!
  • nab22
    nab22 Posts: 168
    Options
    I'm running my 5th half marathon in 2 weeks. Your question was for either a 5k or marathon? Those are quite different distances! I'd probably pick one and stick with that.

For half marathons I use Smart Coach on runnersworld.com
  • slimyfishy
    slimyfishy Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I've done 3 marathons and 5 halves using the Hal Higdon plan. I'm actually starting marathon season again on 4/1 and plan on using Hal's program again. Another great plan is the Jeff Galloway plan. Both can be found on their websites and they are FREE. These guys are AMAZING and have run a bazillion marathons each.

Run Strong!
    Shan:drinker: :wink: :flowerforyou:
  • ashleighk2010
    Options
    I'm not a runner AT ALL but I'm starting the C25K on April 1st. =]
  • Trixie37
    Trixie37 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello! My sister and I did a 5K last year and she found a GREAT site to help us stay on track. It is called "Running into Shape" (here is the link - http://runningintoshape.com/ )

When you get to the site, you will see some purple tabs across the top of the screen - there is a 5K download program that you can load right into your ipod or MP3 player and Carli will walk/run you through the whole training process! There are motivating songs to keep you moving and Carli will "chime in" during the work out when it is time to walk/run/cool down/ etc. It was really great for us!!! Check into it and see if you like it too!! Good luck! You can do it!!!

:smile:
  • cougs12
    cougs12 Posts: 92
    Options
    couch to 5k. actually doing my first 5k in 5 weeks.
  • Trixie37
    Trixie37 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello! My sister and I did a 5K last year and she found a GREAT site to help us stay on track. It is called "Running into Shape" (here is the link - http://runningintoshape.com/ )

When you get to the site, you will see some purple tabs across the top of the screen - there is a 5K download program that you can load right into your ipod or MP3 player and Carli will walk/run you through the whole training process! There are motivating songs to keep you moving and Carli will "chime in" during the work out when it is time to walk/run/cool down/ etc. It was really great for us!!! Check into it and see if you like it too!! Good luck! You can do it!!!

:smile:
  • runner915
    runner915 Posts: 106
    Options
    For this spring's half marathon, I am using a training plan that I got off of the Runner's World website. You enter in recent race times, what you're training for, what day you want to do your long run on, how many miles a week you're currently running, and how hard you want to train. My half marathon training plan has me doing two easy runs a week of about 4-5 miles, 1 day a week with speed work like mile repeats or a tempo run, and then one long run a week that ranges from 9-13 miles. But the runner's world tool is nice because it even gives you the exact pace that you should be running. I think when you go on the website it is under training plans or something? I don't really remember, but you should check it out!
  • withanh
    withanh Posts: 1
    Options
    Check out couch to 5k....it's amazing! I have never been a runner and will run my first 5k next Saturday!!!!!
  • runner915
    runner915 Posts: 106
    Options
    p.s. I agree with the earlier post about Hal Higdon. He is a genius! My mom started running a few years ago and has always used his plans and she will be running her second Boston Marathon in a couple of weeks. A-mazing!
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Hal Higdon! Got me through two marathons, and five halfs!
  • michis05
    michis05 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    i think i will be concentrating on marathons more that 5k..i can run 5k with no problem...25min 5k for me :) marathon is something i have never tried and would like to do that not!! and i will def check the hal higdon website!! thanks yall!!!
  • LarryPGH
    LarryPGH Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Deb,

It looks like you haven't yet gotten a response to your question...

You've got eight weeks until the 5K you mentioned. If you start in the next few days, you'll have enough time to finish eight of the nine weeks of the program. That should probably be close enough -- by the end of the 8th week, you're running 2.75 miles (or 28 minutes). That's very close to 5K -- if you ran a 5K at that point, you should be able to run the whole thing (or, at the least, with just a little walk break at some point along the way).

Good luck!

You can check out the C25K program at http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml ...
  • michis05
    michis05 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    def sticking to the marathon...thanks