Your opinions please! Swimming to lose weight!

Options
I was wondering what everyones opinions about swimming to lose weight? I read different websites and everyone has something different to say about it. Some say its a waste of time, some say it isnt. So whats YOUR opinon????

Replies

• xMissy6x
    xMissy6x Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I love it! I was an instructor for about 5 years for all ages. The adults i coached found it greatly helped with weighloss, as did I. Me? Im just not game enough to get in bathers anymore becuase my weight killed my self confidence :( sad huh! haha
  • waverly9876
    waverly9876 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Swimming is a great excercise. It works all your muscles. If I could afford a real gym instead of my apt complex, I would swim all the time~
  • xMissy6x
    xMissy6x Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Also forgot to add, For anyone with injury or anything like that its really great as the water carries your body weight for you.
  • Tina1128
    Tina1128 Posts: 37
    Options
    I love it and try to swim 5 times a week. The calories that MFP says it burns seems high though. It was a great starter exercise for me because I like it so much -- now I feel able to add other exercises.
  • tlkoehl
    tlkoehl Posts: 27
    Options
    you do lose weight, while toning and elongating your muscles:bigsmile: You burn alot of cals swimming so you will lose weight:huh:
  • jeninne
    jeninne Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Swim and lift (or some weight bearing or band work) if possible. How can something like swimming not be good?
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Water offers lots of resistence. Swimming (not wading around, but true swimming) burns lots of calories and it is a good way to exercise without putting stress on the joints. You also stay nice and cool. Go for it.
  • cmisty2001
    Options
    I love swimming and water aerobics - can't feel the sweating since the water keeps you rinsed off and it's cooling you while you do it - I know my legs feel like rubber at the end of the class when I go to get out of the pool.
  • bugnbeansmom
    bugnbeansmom Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Swimming is just like any form of movement, it takes calories to keep your body in motion! The great thing about swimming for me is it allows me to move my muscles and joints with resistance when my joints are feeling painful! I have two really bad shoulders and two bad knees one of which was surgically repaired. They always feel better after a swim. I think at the end of the day, whatever gets you moving and feels good, do it! Worst hting about swimming is wearing the suit in public!:sad: But hey, it is a great goal to be able to sport that suit with pride! I say go for it!