Diet with low uric acid

Options
sarah44254
sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
Hey guys,

This morning my boyfriend passed yet another kidney stone. In the past year he has had 2 major kidney stones (maybe more smaller ones too) and today he asked his the hospital what their initial thoughts were as he left. The doctors mentioned that if his diet is high in uric acid, that could cause the stones.

Although I watch my diet closely and try to make sound choices for my health, my boyfriend has not followed my example very well. Today he mentioned to me that he is considering a change in diet, and I want more than anything to help him out. Since I adore cooking and feeding him anyway, what are some examples of foods that I can increase for him? Some foods to avoid?

I looked all this up on google and got so much info about gout that I don't need. None of the pages I found mentioned foods at all.

If anyone can help out, greatly appreciated.

Replies

• meshellmybell76
    meshellmybell76 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    what he should avoid are foods high in purine. Those that are highest include: hearts, herring, mussels, yeast, smelt, sardines, & sweetbreads. Other foods that are considered moderately high are: anchovies grouse mutton veal bacon liver salmon turkey, kidneys, partridge, trout, goose, haddock, pheasant & scallops.
  • sarah44254
    Options
    Hmm, looks like only a few of those we eat,
    yeast, sweetbreads, turkey, .. bacon? just bacon, not all pork in general?
  • meshellmybell76
    Options
    just bacon. The foods mentioned above are what was once considered "A King's diet". Uric acid stones are relatively rare. Did he have them identified as such? They are almost always calcium.
  • GremlinJenny
    Options
    here's a site i just found for you. i've pasted only a small excerpt here but there's loads more on the site.

http://www.nomorekidneystone.com/kidney-stone-diet-if-you-care-for-your-health/

Kidney Stone Diet Tips

As mentioned earlier, there are several types of kidney stones: Calcium Oxalate Stones, Uric Acid Stones, and Cystine Stone. Their variation is mainly due to the causes, thus, the recommended diet will likewise vary. The following is a generic guide of foods to avoid in considering our diet for kidney stone prevention:

Oxalic acid increases the tendency in the formation of kidney stones since they have insoluble salt forms known as oxalates. The majority of the sources of these oxalic acids are plants. As calcium merges with oxalate in the intestines, the ability of the body to absorb calcium decreases. As a result, calcium oxalate stones form, because there is not enough calcium in the intestines.

In view of this, it would be wise to cut down or eliminate food sources in your daily diet, which contain oxalates to prevent stone formation.

Examples of foods rich in oxalic acid:

* Beans
    * Wheat bran/germ
    * Beets
    * Blackberries
    * Celery
    * Chocolate/cocoa other chocolate drink mixes
    * Dark leafy greens
    * Parsley
    * Draft beer
    * Fruit cake
    * Eggplant
    * Grits (white corn)
    * Instant coffee
    * Leeks
    * Nuts, nut butter
    * Okra
    * Peel: lemon, lime, orange
    * Raspberries (black)
    * Red currants
    * Soy products (tofu)
    * Strawberries
    * Tea

Sugar increases oxalate and calcium in urine, hence, there should also be a cut down in sugar intakes.
  • meshellmybell76
    Options
    here's a site i just found for you. i've pasted only a small excerpt here but there's loads more on the site.

http://www.nomorekidneystone.com/kidney-stone-diet-if-you-care-for-your-health/

Kidney Stone Diet Tips

As mentioned earlier, there are several types of kidney stones: Calcium Oxalate Stones, Uric Acid Stones, and Cystine Stone. Their variation is mainly due to the causes, thus, the recommended diet will likewise vary. The following is a generic guide of foods to avoid in considering our diet for kidney stone prevention:

Oxalic acid increases the tendency in the formation of kidney stones since they have insoluble salt forms known as oxalates. The majority of the sources of these oxalic acids are plants. As calcium merges with oxalate in the intestines, the ability of the body to absorb calcium decreases. As a result, calcium oxalate stones form, because there is not enough calcium in the intestines.

In view of this, it would be wise to cut down or eliminate food sources in your daily diet, which contain oxalates to prevent stone formation.

Examples of foods rich in oxalic acid:

* Beans
    * Wheat bran/germ
    * Beets
    * Blackberries
    * Celery
    * Chocolate/cocoa other chocolate drink mixes
    * Dark leafy greens
    * Parsley
    * Draft beer
    * Fruit cake
    * Eggplant
    * Grits (white corn)
    * Instant coffee
    * Leeks
    * Nuts, nut butter
    * Okra
    * Peel: lemon, lime, orange
    * Raspberries (black)
    * Red currants
    * Soy products (tofu)
    * Strawberries
    * Tea

Sugar increases oxalate and calcium in urine, hence, there should also be a cut down in sugar intakes.
    [/quote

The above is to avoid the most common kidney stone variety (calcium oxilate). It is foods high in purine that cause uric acid calculi. I am assuming he had his stones identified or his doc wouldn't have gone the route of suggesting a low purine diet.]
  • sarah44254
    Options
    Yeah I'm not sure if they were identified or not, they might have just offered a general suggestion. Thanks a ton guys for the suggestions, I will try to take a few of these foods out a little at a time and see if there is any sort of improvement.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    We just covered this in my Advanced Nutritional Therapy class like 2 days ago when we went over kidney diseases and their need for protein controlled diets. I'm cutting and pasting from the power point here for you. Hope this helps. I'd call the doctor to find out what kind of stones they are to be sure what to restrict. From what I've been taught, though, the number 1 cause is excess vitamin C (from supplements instead of food) for the calcium oxalate stones and high protein intake for the uric acid stones.

Kidney Stones

Formation of crystallized “stones”
    --High concentrations of constituent materials in urine
    Calcium oxalate – most common (75%)
    Uric acid – less common
    --Risk increases with age

Causes of Kidney Stones

Ca+ Oxalate Stones
    --Hypercalciuria (elevated urine Ca+)
    --Hyperoxaluria (elevated urine oxalate)
    Uric Acid Stones
    --Hyperacidity of urine
    --Elevated uric acid
    --High purine (protein) diet
    --Gout
    --Leukemia

Outcomes of Kidney Stones

Pain!!!! (renal colic)
    --Stone must pass from kidney through ureter into bladder
    Urinary tract problems
    --Hematuria (bloody urine)
    Urinary urgency
    Urinary frequency
    Urinary obstruction
    Urinary infection

Treatment of Kidney Stones

Lithotripsy
    --Use of ultrasound to break up stones in urethra or bladder
    Symptom management
    --Pain medications (morphine)
    --Antibiotics
    Prevention of reoccurrence
    --Nutrition - Fluids
    --Adequate to dilute urine
    --12-16 cups/day
    Oxalate Stones
    --Ca+ from foods instead of supplements
    Dietary Ca+ binds oxalate in small intestine
    Avoid supplemental Vitamin C intake
    --Converted to oxalate
    Restrict oxalate-containing foods
    --Vegetables, fruits, nuts
    --Chocolate, coffee, tea, beer
    Uric Acid Stones
    Medication – Allopurinal
    --Blocks synthesis of uric acid
    Restrict purine-containing foods
    --Meats and seafood
  • sarah44254
    Options
    He only drinks 4-7 cups of water a day, and has been trying to add more in. I will remind him to drink more water!

The doctors haven't found the stones yet, they were only seen through the CT I suppose. So we're not sure what kind they are.