A forced plateau???

Options
I've been contemplating a forced plateau for a few months now. I thought when I lost 40 pounds, I'd do it. Then at 50, I thought ok, it's time. Then I thought - what if I just wait until my body plateaus on it's own, then I will accept it and continue the plateau for a couple weeks.

However, I'm not plateauing. Now I know there are a lot of people who do plateau and it's frustrating. I wanted to avoid the frustration and do it on my own terms. Now that I'm faced with the idea that now is the time, it scares me. I really like seeing that scale go down each week. Will I be ok with not seeing that? Will I be able to continue losing again afterwards?

Maybe I should just say - if it ain't broke, don't fix it? What are your thoughts on a forced plateau to get the body used to the loss and possibly let my skin adjust to the loss as well? Thoughts?

Replies

• LadyT02182011
    Options
    Maybe I should just say - if it ain't broke, don't fix it? What are your thoughts on a forced plateau to get the body used to the loss and possibly let my skin adjust to the loss as well? Thoughts?
    [/quote]

I'd go with "if it ain't broke don't fix it". It will come soon enough. Just relish in the fact that you are still losing weekly and just continue to do what you're doing as far as exercise and of course strength training is the best thing for tightening up lose skin. ~smile
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Never heard of it?? But I platau all the time so no force is necessary :laugh:

I guess if you're losing more than 100lbs it might be an idea to slow down to adjust, but hey, you know what? That will naturally happen when you have less to lose.

If it were me, I'd carry on losing :bigsmile:
  • resptech97
    resptech97 Posts: 147
    Options
    Hmmm Ive never heard of a forced plateau.... Anyway If you are still losing by all means KEEP LOSING! Most people DREAD the plateaus! I know I did. Your body will soon enough....more than likely.
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    Please share how you would force a plateau?!?
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of a forced plateau. The body will go there on it's own, and trust me, you will be dreading that moment, because you never know when it will end. So continue doing what you are doing, and let your body do it's thing.

Goodluck
  • kimcat73
    kimcat73 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Felice, a forced plateau would mean upping my calories to maintenance level and cutting back on the exercise. Still logging everything but eating more, exercise a bit less.
  • cdino
    cdino Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Wish I could give my plateau to you! I wouldn't wish it on anyone...it is awful! I have been gaining and losing the same 2-3 pounds for the last 6 weeks! It is so frustrating and I can't imagine anyone wanting to force it on themselves.....I say keep on losing!
  • BrandNewMia
    BrandNewMia Posts: 461
    Options
    I have given this a lot of thought, especially when I started noticing loose skin on my thighs, stomach, and underarms.

However, I figure I will hit a plateau naturally. When that happens, I'll try to embrace it, up my calories and change my exercise routines. At this point, I am far more motivated than I have EVER been my entire life, and I don't want to force myself to lose momentum.
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    I could see that working....similar to zig zagging calories but a little more drawn out. Could set u back too though. I would imagine u will hit it sooner or later so I would enjoy the ride while u can. If u try it please keep us updated!
  • mdjeffreyus
    Options
    I don't think you want to force a plateau unless you are losing weight too rapidly (over 5 lbs a week should be done under a MD's guidance). Go for it otherwise.
  • mazomama
    mazomama Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Wish I could give my plateau to you! I wouldn't wish it on anyone...it is awful! I have been gaining and losing the same 2-3 pounds for the last 6 weeks! It is so frustrating and I can't imagine anyone wanting to force it on themselves.....I say keep on losing!

Same here.....

to the post: I would let your body continue on its journey. You will SLOW down when its that time to, your body will do it all on its own. But until that day comes why not just continue with what your doing?

it dosen't make sense to just force it to stop.......i cant understand why it would be a thought even...
  • kimcat73
    kimcat73 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the input, I really appreciate it:)