Replies

• heniko
    heniko Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips!
  • debbiequack
    debbiequack Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I was just going to say the same thing-- we can lost weight in general, and we can bulk up, etc., but I think certain factors regarding our appearance are just ours to keep :)

Learn to love your warts :)

Debbie
  • stevemcknight
    stevemcknight Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Someone up there has it backwards... it should be higher weights, fewer reps. Check out the book "The new rules of lifting for women" if you are interested in Muscles. love this resource.
    I also second chair dips and pushups. :)

I'm so so so so so happy someone beat me to the punch here!!!! I was just going to say - the old high rep thing has been proven over and over and over to be myth. Based on really - nothing but guesswork.

That book is MONEY! It's what I've been preaching to my clients for years now.

The other sad thing is the word "Toning;" You can't change the shave of your muscles. Long, lean, sleek muscles is a sales pitch. High reps work endurance, low reps work size. To clarify - low reps means that you physically can't do any more after 5-8 reps. Not that you just stop after 8.

When I'm at the gym, I'm amazed at how many times I see people (honestly, mostly women, but certainly some men too) just do the prescribed 15 reps and put the 5 pound weight down. They could have done another 25 reps at that weight.

Lift heavy and build muscle. You won't turn into a female Arndold! Really! Female bodybuilders who are huge are taking massive supplements, and a HUGE calorie surplus during their bulking stage. If you're eating normally, you won't bulk, you'll just build muscle.

The other thing you gotta do is lose the fat. There is no exercise in the world that will turn fat into muscle. It's not possible any more than you can turn fat into Clam Chowder. They're two different things. We all need to work to burn the fat and build the muscle!

:)

Hope this might help a tiny bit!
  • stevemcknight
    stevemcknight Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    *punches genes in the crotch*

LOL hilarious!!!

1) Pushups and dips are great for building tricep (behind the arm) strength and tone. Are you training at home or in a gym?

2) If you keep losing weight they will eventually go away, keep your protien level high to avoid that weight loss being muscle. More muscle will make your arm look firm.

3) Keep in mind that it is impossible to target fat loss on your arm or anywhere on your body. The most you can do is eat right,
    work hard and your body will reward you in its own way.

4) LOL unfortunately genetics do play an evil role sometimes but hey, don't let that stop you from trying, if you put up a good fight
    you can transform your body almost anyway you want it.

yes to all of that. one small addition - try to keep your protein at 1g per pound of bodyweight. It's a nice round number that ballparks you to keeping that hard earned new muscle you'll get while lifting the heavy weights!!!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    There;s loads of things that target the triceps muscles - dips on the side of a bench, diamond push ups, skull crushers, kick backs, holding a weight above your head and lowering it behind your head etc.