I am new, and joined today.. Nov 24, 07

Options
Hello, I am Pam. Just joined this site today. Never do this. but have been battling weight for quite awhile... I have lost 37 pounds in the last year.. Up until this, our Thanksgiving week, I had lost 48 pounds, but have gained some weight over the holiday.. I do not want to gain my weight back.. so decided to do some searching on the computer today... and found this site. It looks interesting, so I figured I would give it a try. with the calorie counting and all. If any one has any helpful hints, I am all ears. Looking forward to figuring out how to work the journals on this site.. I am kind of a computer dummy, and it takes me awhile to figure all this stuff out.
Looking forward to hearing from some of you. At this point I am a little discouraged about my weight, and still have not reached my final goal in the past year. So I am hoping that doing something different will get me motoviated again... I was doing a very regular exercise routine but have gotten away from in the past three months...my daughter, whom I was exercising with, moved to Tennessee, and I have been a little depressed and discouraged over that... so I am in need of getting back on the right track... HELP!!!:sad:

Replies

• Pambrown
    Options
    Hello, I am Pam. Just joined this site today. Never do this. but have been battling weight for quite awhile... I have lost 37 pounds in the last year.. Up until this, our Thanksgiving week, I had lost 48 pounds, but have gained some weight over the holiday.. I do not want to gain my weight back.. so decided to do some searching on the computer today... and found this site. It looks interesting, so I figured I would give it a try. with the calorie counting and all. If any one has any helpful hints, I am all ears. Looking forward to figuring out how to work the journals on this site.. I am kind of a computer dummy, and it takes me awhile to figure all this stuff out.
    Looking forward to hearing from some of you. At this point I am a little discouraged about my weight, and still have not reached my final goal in the past year. So I am hoping that doing something different will get me motoviated again... I was doing a very regular exercise routine but have gotten away from in the past three months...my daughter, whom I was exercising with, moved to Tennessee, and I have been a little depressed and discouraged over that... so I am in need of getting back on the right track... HELP!!!:sad:
  • deanea
    deanea Posts: 1,437
    Options
    Welcome!
  • lovelygirls
    Options
    Hi Pam, I only joined today too, am feeling a lot more positive for having done it and have had a good day calorie wise......Good Luck!!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,028 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Pam.

For now, make a paper journal and write down everything you eat. You can come on the site and find the calories: many will be here in the "Food" tab under database. Write them down and enter them in the food diary as you learn ( you can use any of a number of websites to figure calories and portions if the food you are searching for isn't on the database.) You need to see what you are eating, calorie wise: and where during the day you have the biggest desire to eat too much.

If computers give you the heebie-jeebies, the best thing you can do is write it down or type it on a separate sheet (like in Word - if you are using Windows.) The Food Diary is absolutely the most important tool, so until you are comfortable - keep it on paper. Don't skip this task!

Do your GOALS here on the site, so you know what your basic caloric needs are. It will figure them for you. Enter your DIET PROFILE on the "Goals" section on your "Home" page. These are both on your "My Home" tab at the top. Myfitnesspal will break down your % needs (the default is 55% carbs, 15% protein, and 30% fat) - stick with this recommendation unless instructed otherwise by a doctor, nutritionist, or fitness trainer.
    If you go over a bit in protein - most of us do. Don't beat yourself up. If it is mostly lean protein, and you are exercising, you're ok.

Go through the past posts on the "Community" tab. Many posts in the "Diet & Nutrition" section have websites to reference for calories if they aren't list in myfitnesspal database. The "Recipes" section also has great sites to visit for food and other helpful information.

Track your exercise - and write it down, too, until you can comfortably enter it into the "Exercise" tab. myfitnesspal will give you extra calories for your exercise. EAT THEM.

You have done great on your own! But this makes it so easy. And we are great to talk to and we can take your mind off eating, or just share good ideas or support.

You are allowed to enjoy your family and your food on Thanksgiving! We all eat a bit too much on occasion....(as you will see reading our past posts.) Just get back on track, and you will continue to have success.

This site is addictive >>WARNING!<< :wink:

I hope to see you here!

~Cheryl (I'm the chatty one.... in case you hadn't noticed.....)
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    Welcome!