why am I gaining?

Options

Replies

• missbeezy
    missbeezy Posts: 198
    Options
    I think I fixed it, my diary is open for the public. Only thing is that it does not have my food intake from January 1 until when I started this new profile. from Jan 1-about 3 weeks ago My eating was pretty much perfect and right on target. i noticed and i am really slipping but still even then I was not losing anything. Thank you all for your comments and your help, greatly appreciated
  • foodforfuel
    foodforfuel Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Hi missbeezy! Congratulations on joining MFP on your way to a healthier lifestyle! One thing I did for myself that helped me alot was to change the tracker/breakdown so that I could see my sodium intake daily. Seeing the numbers shocked me! I don't even use table salt, just the 'hidden' sodium in food was a real eye opener! I see that you are tracking your calcium. Maybe switch that out and replace it with the sodium tracker. Under the advice of my doctor, I chew two Tums (or equivilent) a day to ensure my calcium is at a good level. Good luck in finding what works for you, and above all, never give up!!! :flowerforyou:
  • tamiller93
    tamiller93 Posts: 195
    Options
    This happens to me to...I can not eat my calories back other wise I gain weight..Listen to ur body..

Same here. I have a heart rate monitor, but it WILL NOT pick up when I am at my gym. No satellite signal there. :( So I record my calories that show up on the machine I'm on (which I know is not right). Then I try to always leave 100-200 calories free so I know I am not going over. Once the weather gets better and I can run outdoors, I will be able to use my heart rate monitor and more accurately gauge my burn. But until then I am leaving those calories out there. It has worked so far.
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    Hey there, I just briefly checked your diary, and I noticed that you are burning 800-1600 calories during exercise. May I ask what you are doing??? This may be an overestimation (or not) but if you are really burning that much, I didnt notice any healthy recovery meals for after that type of activity. I also noticed by the type of foods you are eating that you are probably way over in sodium. You should edit your nutritional profile and plug sodium in there for a few days to see what that is. Sodium will hold water and that can cause water weight.
    Also dont get discouraged. Make some changes and keep up the good work. I am a slow loser. Basically since i started in jan. I am the same, gaining and losing the same weight.!!!! I will send friend request and we can chat more about it!!! You are doing great!!
  • missbeezy
    Options
    Well because my weight is so high I burn calories at a much faster rate so an hour of. exercise will burn anywhere from 700+ calories depending on what I do. So I can only lessen it by not exercising or only doing a few min
  • missbeezy
    Options
    Hey there, I just briefly checked your diary, and I noticed that you are burning 800-1600 calories during exercise. May I ask what you are doing??? This may be an overestimation (or not) but if you are really burning that much, I didnt notice any healthy recovery meals for after that type of activity. I also noticed by the type of foods you are eating that you are probably way over in sodium. You should edit your nutritional profile and plug sodium in there for a few days to see what that is. Sodium will hold water and that can cause water weight.
    Also dont get discouraged. Make some changes and keep up the good work. I am a slow loser. Basically since i started in jan. I am the same, gaining and losing the same weight.!!!! I will send friend request and we can chat more about it!!! You are doing
    great!!

Thank you I will add in sodium and try to see if I can work on that as well!!! Thank u!!
  • schobert101
    schobert101 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    [[/quote]
    "Same here. I have a heart rate monitor, but it WILL NOT pick up when I am at my gym. No satellite signal there. :( So I record my calories that show up on the machine I'm on (which I know is not right). Then I try to always leave 100-200 calories free so I know I am not going over. Once the weather gets better and I can run outdoors, I will be able to use my heart rate monitor and more accurately gauge my burn. But until then I am leaving those calories out there. It has worked so far."
    [/quote]

Huh? Heart rate monitors don't use satelite signals.......GPS uses satelite signals. Look for other reasons why your monitor is not working at the gym
  • MsPitt
    MsPitt Posts: 78
    Options
    Huh? Heart rate monitors don't use satelite signals.......GPS uses satelite signals. Look for other reasons why your monitor is not working at the gym
    Maybe it's a cell phone application?
  • tamiller93
    tamiller93 Posts: 195
    Options

It just kept saying "lost satellite signal", and was not calculating my calories burned. :huh:
  • Imthatg1rl
    Imthatg1rl Posts: 109
    Options
    You could be gaining muscle, but losing fat. Since muscle weighs more than fat, the scale may not show a loss, or may even show a gain. If your clothes are fitting better (or looser), you're still on the right track regardless of what the scale says. :) Good luck to you!
    Muscle takes up less space than fat because it is more dense.
  • schobert101
    schobert101 Posts: 218 Member
    Options

It just kept saying "lost satellite signal", and was not calculating my calories burned. :huh:

It might have been referring to the signal from the transmitter, ie chest strap that is sent to the receiver, ie the watch wirelessly. If that is the case then wetting the strap, making sure you have good contact without the skin might help and it might not be a function of your location. otherwise don't know what they are referring to
  • Deb2chef
    Deb2chef Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I agree, need to see the diary and details, I nearly always dont always eat calories back but I do have good healthy meals mostly, listen to your body, If your not hungry-dont eat just because it says you can eat more,
  • nyctraveler
    nyctraveler Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I would actually say don't eat your exercise cals bc you still have 56 lbs to lose. Eating back calories becomes crucial when you're close to your goal weight! Try it out and I guarantee the weight will move. I never had to eat back calories when I was heavy and weight came off pretty fast
  • EricInArlington
    EricInArlington Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    what do you do for exercise? what is your target heart rate? do you drink 64Oz of water a day? do you eat all your meals? do you let yourself cheat on any days or do you do the right thing all the time? do you ever mix up you workouts? do you do cardio? do you like long walks on the beach?...lol had to do that :P
  • lovetowrite73
    lovetowrite73 Posts: 1,244 Member
    Options
    I only went back to Tuesday but saw you had Wendy's two days, 8 slices of pizza between two days, multiple frozen meals, etc. You shouldn't try to eat back your exercise calories with junk. That's only going to hinder your efforts. Having that as a treat, sure, but almost every other day? Not so much. Just looking at your diary for today, you're eating like 4 full-blown meals, mostly of the frozen variety.
  • sprinkies
    sprinkies Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    i hate to say it, but i really think you need to change the type of foods you eat. i don't see any fruits, veggies, or anything that's not prepared in your journal. your sodium intake looks like it would be crazy high. chips, fast food, and microwaved meals and pizza are OK in moderation but not several times a day. do you have time in your day to cook a healthy meal for you and your son? maybe instead of using a fast food or already prepared meal you guys could cook something together depending on how old he is? start to get both of you interested in cooking. i'd stop using sugar in the morning on your cornflakes too and switch to something like oatmeal that has more fiber and keeps you full longer. be careful w/ the portion size of that though because slightly under the measuring cup is the serving size, not slightly over. mix in some light brown sugar/peanut butter and have a piece of fruit with it. for lunch, pack a sandwich and a fruit or carrots/any veggie instead of the chips. they take about the same amount of time to prepare and if you use wheat bread you'll gain fiber and much less sodium. good luck!
  • ChristineMiller2
    Options
    Hi there, really nice photo by the way. From peaking at your dairy a few things I noticed are:

some days you do not have any water logged, its important to keep this consistant
    Fast food multiple times a week is something I think is causing you trouble
    I am curious about how you calculate your calories burned from exercise, I see you log 800 up to 1700 plus quite regularily, is it possible your overestimating your calories burned? Just questioning, since it seems high, not impossible, just hig.

Good luck to you
  • missbeezy
    Options
    I run on the treadmill and I do the jilian Michael's 30 day shred. I sometimes walk outside and jog in intervals. My calorie Burns are pretty accurate with my hrm. I see my sodium is crazy high too!!
  • missbeezy
    Options
    what do you do for exercise? what is your target heart rate? do you drink 64Oz of water a day? do you eat all your meals? do you let yourself cheat on any days or do you do the right thing all the time? do you ever mix up you workouts? do you do cardio? do you like long walks on the beach?...lol had to do that :P

Running/jogging/walking in intervals. Weight lifting. My Target heart rate is 174. I drink 110 oz of water each day I just don't log it (the dr says to drink half of my body weight in oz??? I suppose it's true). I do cardio when I can and I sometimes work out multiple times per day.. Walks on the beach sound nice if we had a beach in Iowa LOL
  • missbeezy
    Options
    Hi there, really nice photo by the way. From peaking at your dairy a few things I noticed are:

some days you do not have any water logged, its important to keep this consistant
    Fast food multiple times a week is something I think is causing you trouble
    I am curious about how you calculate your calories burned from exercise, I see you log 800 up to 1700 plus quite regularily, is it possible your overestimating your calories burned? Just questioning, since it seems high, not impossible, just hig.

Good luck to you

Thank you!
    I do a lot of exercising to keep from eating so much so I do burn lots, then they said I had to eat all of those calories back in which it is hard, and it is causing me to gain. I guess I should make better food choices too. I am cutting back on the fast food, I promise!!!! I know it's bad but when I'm not home its hard to plan meals a head of time. I can do better.