Spaghetti Squash Questions

Options
swimmermama
swimmermama Posts: 526 Member
I am attempting spaghetti squash for the first time tonight. One thing I haven't been able to figure out by looking at different recipes is how many servings I should expect. My spaghetti squash is about 4.5 pounds. How many servings of "spaghetti" do you think I will get?

Thanks!

Replies

• Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I'd like to know as well!
  • tamarab3
    tamarab3 Posts: 64
    Options
    When I cook spaghetti squash it is usually 4 servings of "spaghetti."
  • manymuses
    manymuses Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    As each squash differs so much in size, it would be difficult to assign a standard serving size, but I would say 4 sounds reasonable.
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    It makes quite a lot. THe one I made came to about 6 cups. I hope you enjoy it. It was not something I was crazy about, but at least I tried it! Some people really love it.
  • dreamc08
    dreamc08 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    bump...my hubby cant eat pasta anymore and I've heard this could make a good substitution
  • swimmermama
    Options
    Thank you so much for the quick replies! We'll see how it goes. I love the flavor of squash and I am serving it with a homemade spicy roasted vegetable sauce, so hopefully it will be a good meal even if we don't love the spaghetti squash.

I'm so excited to try something new!
  • WomanofWorth
    WomanofWorth Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I am attempting spaghetti squash for the first time tonight. One thing I haven't been able to figure out by looking at different recipes is how many servings I should expect. My spaghetti squash is about 4.5 pounds. How many servings of "spaghetti" do you think I will get?

Thanks!

I don't know how you're serving this but thick, non-tomato sauces have a tendency to slide off and make a watery puddle on the plate if you steam it. Other types of sauces are fine w/ the steam method. So my suggestion is that if you are going to use it for tomato based sauce, roast it in the oven without water, this helps the flavor and keeps it from being so watery (it already has a high water content so it will be fine.
  • greeneyed_girl
    Options
    I just had spaghetti squash last night and I use a food scale to weigh my food. For a medium/large sized spaghetti squash, I was able to scrape 8oz out of one half. So about 2 cups of cooked "noodles" per squash. (or close to) =)
  • swimmermama
    Options

Thanks!

I don't know how you're serving this but thick, non-tomato sauces have a tendency to slide off and make a watery puddle on the plate if you steam it. Other types of sauces are fine w/ the steam method. So my suggestion is that if you are going to use it for tomato based sauce, roast it in the oven without water, this helps the flavor and keeps it from being so watery (it already has a high water content so it will be fine.

That is GREAT to know! Thank you. I was planning to cut it in half and roast it flesh side down in the oven for about 30 minutes or until tender. Is that what people suggest?
  • DeniseDiSpena
    Options
    It does sound reasonable to divide it into 4 servings, however, it depends on what kind of weight loss program you're on. If you're just counting calories and spaghetti squash is your dinner, I would say eat the whole thing, with a small portion of protein, provided that's your whole dinner. In my case I eat 1/2 of whatever size it is because I'm watching my GI (glycemic index) and spaghetti squash is a lo GI food (I could eat the whole thing, but then I wouldn't have room for anything else). I have 4-6 ounces of lean protein with it and a salad as well...oh, and I cover my squash with lo fat tomato sauce and a lo fat cheese. There is absolutely no room for even a fruit after this hardy lo GI meal! A lo GI plan is the way to go...I have been eating this way for 2 years, kept off the 35 lbs I lost, and I feel terrific.

My husband joined in because he was on meds for pre-diabetes...after just 3 months, his doctor took him off the meds.

So basically, what I'm saying is, you are pretty safe with overeating spaghetti squash in either weight loss program.

If you're interested in joining my plan, write back. You can still use 'myfitnesspay' along with a lo GI plan.
  • swimmermama
    Options
    It does sound reasonable to divide it into 4 servings, however, it depends on what kind of weight loss program you're on. If you're just counting calories and spaghetti squash is your dinner, I would say eat the whole thing, with a small portion of protein, provided that's your whole dinner. In my case I eat 1/2 of whatever size it is because I'm watching my GI (glycemic index) and spaghetti squash is a lo GI food (I could eat the whole thing, but then I wouldn't have room for anything else). I have 4-6 ounces of lean protein with it and a salad as well...oh, and I cover my squash with lo fat tomato sauce and a lo fat cheese. There is absolutely no room for even a fruit after this hardy lo GI meal! A lo GI plan is the way to go...I have been eating this way for 2 years, kept off the 35 lbs I lost, and I feel terrific.

My husband joined in because he was on meds for pre-diabetes...after just 3 months, his doctor took him off the meds.

So basically, what I'm saying is, you are pretty safe with overeating spaghetti squash in either weight loss program.

If you're interested in joining my plan, write back. You can still use 'myfitnesspay' along with a lo GI plan.

My hubby and I are just maintaining - not trying to lose weight. I was just wondering whether we would have leftovers. :)

I think we are going to have grilled shrimp on the side. We'll see about the salad - it is already lots of veggies with everything I am putting in the sauce!
  • cmmull67
    cmmull67 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    A typical serving size is one cup cooked. Use measuring cup to put a serving on your plate and see how much it really is. The squash I buy, I usually get anywhere from 4-6 cups of flesh after cooked. What I'll o after it's on the plate i put some pasta sauce over it, or sometimes a little butter and brown sugar. It's really filling without a lot of extra calories
  • swimmermama
    Options
    Just wanted to let y'all know that the spaghetti squash went great last night! It was incredibly tasty and made a ton of food. I probably got six or eight cups because I kept scraping and scraping the inside.

I made a traditional spicy tomato sauce for it last night but I think next time I will just saute some shrimp and mushrooms to go on top. Yum!

Thank you so much for all of your tips!!
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    i know this is old but damn im not addicted to spaghetti squash. i love this stuff.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    I usually get 3-4 1 cup servings.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Its so low in calories that I eat as much as I want but just use a measuring cup so I know how much to enter, I usually get 4 servings from one average size squash