No carbs after 2:00......SERIOUSLY?!?!?!

Options

Replies

• ChessRonin
    ChessRonin Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I mean that is if giving up carbs after 2pm works for you- I have also read the same thing. Its called the 17 day diet and was featured on Dr Phil. The dr who wrote the book says no carbs after 2pm. Proteins and non starchy vegetables after 2pm only. From what I understood reading the book its not that carbs are BAD after 2pm, its just that the slow your weightloss down. Protein and veggies after 2pm sped it up. But I'm sure everyone is different.

Again, does anyone remember the scientific explanation, or just that some talking head on TV said "don't eat carbs after 2pm, helps weightloss?"

Carbs are an essential part of everyone's diet. As a basic primer, let me explain:

Our bodies derive energy from three macronutrients; carbohydrates, fat, and protein. Now, fats and protein have many uses other than providing energy, whereas carbohydrates do not. The constituent amino acids in protein are the fundamental building blocks of our living tissues, used to create and repair literally everything in our bodies. Fat plays a role in our endocrine system, among other things, and is essential to dissolving fat soluble compounds in our bodies. Carbohydrates do one thing; provide our machine with an efficient source of energy.

When our body needs energy, it needs it most commonly in the form of glucose or glycogen (particular molecular forms of "carbohydrates"). Our bodies are FAR more efficient at converting carbohydrates into glucose or glycogen than they are at converting protein or fat to the same. If you don't eat any carbohydrates (atkins) you are denying your body the energy source that it has adapted to best use; you are slowing it down. If you are a couch potato and drink a lot of caffeine, then perhaps this wont bother you very much, but honestly, EVERYONE is far better off eating carbs and working exercise into their health plan.

So the Atkins diet and other carb-restrictive diets just seem like bad-science. Why would you deprive yourself of something that your body not only needs, but has evolved for aeons to use efficiently? So many people lose weight while staying healthy without the use of these carb-restrictive diets. What makes you think you are different than them?
  • ChessRonin
    Options
    Your body can't burn the carbs off when your sleeping or less active, so limit them later on in the day. Those carbs that don't get burnt can get stored as fat.

False. Your body burns carbs regardless of whether you are sleeping, waking, running a marathon. The ratio at which it burns carbs, to fat, to protein varies of course, but it's just plain false that your body can't burn carbs if you aren't doing something.

By way of example, did you know that you burn hundreds of calories while sleeping for 8 hours? Where do those calories come from? If you ate carbohydrates RIGHT before falling asleep, it would still burn the carbohydrates.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I mean that is if giving up carbs after 2pm works for you- I have also read the same thing. Its called the 17 day diet and was featured on Dr Phil. The dr who wrote the book says no carbs after 2pm. Proteins and non starchy vegetables after 2pm only. From what I understood reading the book its not that carbs are BAD after 2pm, its just that the slow your weightloss down. Protein and veggies after 2pm sped it up. But I'm sure everyone is different.

Again, does anyone remember the scientific explanation, or just that some talking head on TV said "don't eat carbs after 2pm, helps weightloss?"

Carbs are an essential part of everyone's diet. As a basic primer, let me explain:

Our bodies derive energy from three macronutrients; carbohydrates, fat, and protein. Now, fats and protein have many uses other than providing energy, whereas carbohydrates do not. The constituent amino acids in protein are the fundamental building blocks of our living tissues, used to create and repair literally everything in our bodies. Fat plays a role in our endocrine system, among other things, and is essential to dissolving fat soluble compounds in our bodies. Carbohydrates do one thing; provide our machine with an efficient source of energy.

When our body needs energy, it needs it most commonly in the form of glucose or glycogen (particular molecular forms of "carbohydrates"). Our bodies are FAR more efficient at converting carbohydrates into glucose or glycogen than they are at converting protein or fat to the same. If you don't eat any carbohydrates (atkins) you are denying your body the energy source that it has adapted to best use; you are slowing it down. If you are a couch potato and drink a lot of caffeine, then perhaps this wont bother you very much, but honestly, EVERYONE is far better off eating carbs and working exercise into their health plan.

So the Atkins diet and other carb-restrictive diets just seem like bad-science. Why would you deprive yourself of something that your body not only needs, but has evolved for aeons to use efficiently? So many people lose weight while staying healthy without the use of these carb-restrictive diets. What makes you think you are different than them?

The theory behind low-carb eating is that we have become efficient processors of non-fiber carbs because they are toxic to the body. Not because we need them. The body is just trying to get rid of them as quickly as possible.

Carbs spike insulin. Every time the cells are exposed to insulin, they become a little more resistant to it (especially if you are inactive). As you become insulin-resistant, every system in your body suffers and ages.

These eating plans work well for weight loss because in the absence of carbs, you're mainly going to burn fat. They are tough to adopt as a lifestyle because our culture is so carb-focused.
  • stevemcknight
    stevemcknight Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Your body can't burn the carbs off when your sleeping or less active, so limit them later on in the day. Those carbs that don't get burnt can get stored as fat.

False. Your body burns carbs regardless of whether you are sleeping, waking, running a marathon. The ratio at which it burns carbs, to fat, to protein varies of course, but it's just plain false that your body can't burn carbs if you aren't doing something.

By way of example, did you know that you burn hundreds of calories while sleeping for 8 hours? Where do those calories come from? If you ate carbohydrates RIGHT before falling asleep, it would still burn the carbohydrates.

Almost. There is a cap on how much glycogen you can store at once. Once that is surpassed, the remainder of the carbs are stored as fat. Your body will run on carbs until the stores are gone, then switch to a combination of running on fat and (*gasp*) muscle. The only way to avoid this is continuously consume carbs (thus the every 3 hour rule) or switch to a ketogenic state where your body shifts to looking for fat first instead of as an alternative source.
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options

Your body will burn calories throughout the day and night, just being alive, that's what your BMR is. But if you are constantly eating them and not active enough to burn them off they will get stored. I still think if you are serious about losing weight you shouldn't eat a pound of spaghetti or potato salad before you go to bed, unless you plan on running a marathon.
  • ImTheMommieof3
    Options
    Your trainer is bad. Find a new one.

He's not "MY" trainer - he is the trainer at the gym I attend. I had asked him some questions with regard to losing weight and food and exercise.

I would love to have an actual trainer but that's not gonna happen. I'll just keep asking questions and posting them to ya'll - experience is the best information and I appreciate all of ya'lls experience!!
  • samcee
    samcee Posts: 307
    Options
    I thought it was no carb after 7pm?
  • ImTheMommieof3
    Options
    Thanks ya'll for all of ya'lls advice. I've come to a general conclusion that 'some' carbs in the afternoon / evening is okay...carbs in moderation! The only thing is that I really like my beer with dinner / or a glass of wine / or a evening toddy....:drinker:
  • ladiluvbug83
    ladiluvbug83 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I ask my trainer about this and he said he had never heard of anyone cutting out your carbs this early, He says typically it is around 4-6 p.m. And as long as you are watching them throughout the day . You don't need to worry. But, he says no simple sugars after 6 p.m. for sure. I hope this helps.

Sarah :flowerforyou:
  • katiemeridien
    Options
    If you're trying to lose weight, forget that beer exists! Beer, light or whatever, will destroy your diet.

I've never heard 'No carbs after 2:00.' but I've been losing weight having nearly 200 g of carbs a day... lol. But.. I'm doing that with PACE Performance and Crossfit workouts at least 5x a week. That keeps my burn rate up and I haven't felt like I'm starving at all!
    My workouts are pretty hardcore.

If you 'kind of' workout... I'd definitely restrict my carbs and aim for ketosis. Bread, sugar, starches, pastas, beer, whatever... all need to be erased from your life.

'No carbs after 2:00' probably doesn't mean green veggie carbs which don't count anyway. =]
  • ChessRonin
    Options

The theory behind low-carb eating is that we have become efficient processors of non-fiber carbs because they are toxic to the body. Not because we need them. The body is just trying to get rid of them as quickly as possible.

Carbs spike insulin. Every time the cells are exposed to insulin, they become a little more resistant to it (especially if you are inactive). As you become insulin-resistant, every system in your body suffers and ages.

These eating plans work well for weight loss because in the absence of carbs, you're mainly going to burn fat. They are tough to adopt as a lifestyle because our culture is so carb-focused.

Oh my god this is just terrible. Do you actually believe any of that?

Carbohydrates are in no way toxic to the body, and insulin is not a bad thing. It's a hormone, like any other, that is integral to regulating our bodily functions. Insulin spikes are only "bad" and only occur if you eat high amounts of short chain carbohydrates (like simple sugar) without anything else in your stomach to slow/temper their absorption, and your energy levels become out of balance.

I suggest that if you (for some reason) find this whole no-carb mumbo-jumbo to be compelling, you take a basic nutrition class or read a basic nutrition guide.
  • ChessRonin
    Options

Your body will burn calories throughout the day and night, just being alive, that's what your BMR is. But if you are constantly eating them and not active enough to burn them off they will get stored. I still think if you are serious about losing weight you shouldn't eat a pound of spaghetti or potato salad before you go to bed, unless you plan on running a marathon.

This is about not eating more calories than your budget allots, not about avoiding carbs. If you eat too much protein (beyond your caloric and amino acid needs) it too will be converted to fat. There is no difference in this regard between carbohydrates and protein.
  • _LA_
    _LA_ Posts: 111
    Options
    What I heard was, blah blah blah blah blah beer for lunch! blah blah...
  • ImTheMommieof3
    Options
    If you 'kind of' workout... I'd definitely restrict my carbs and aim for ketosis. Bread, sugar, starches, pastas, beer, whatever... all need to be erased from your life.

'No carbs after 2:00' probably doesn't mean green veggie carbs which don't count anyway. =]

What is ketosis????
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options

What is ketosis????

Basically ketosis is where you deplete your glycogen reserves and your body switches from being a carb burning machine to being a fat burning machine. Your body will burn its own fat reserves (which we don't have a shortage of) for fuel instead of burning carbs.

It takes about 3 days of eating protein and green, leafy veggies for the body to get into ketosis...............

This is where I am at and I am losing any where from 1/4 pound up to a pound per day..........
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options

Oh my god this is just terrible. Do you actually believe any of that?

Carbohydrates are in no way toxic to the body, and insulin is not a bad thing. It's a hormone, like any other, that is integral to regulating our bodily functions. Insulin spikes are only "bad" and only occur if you eat high amounts of short chain carbohydrates (like simple sugar) without anything else in your stomach to slow/temper their absorption, and your energy levels become out of balance.

I suggest that if you (for some reason) find this whole no-carb mumbo-jumbo to be compelling, you take a basic nutrition class or read a basic nutrition guide.

I said it was the theory behind low-carb eating. I didn't offer an opinion on it either way. But thanks for your assumptions and criticisms anyway! What would a day be without unwarranted criticism from people on the internet?:laugh:
  • BrittanyGQ
    BrittanyGQ Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Too bad chronic ketoacidosis is not ideal for the body. Not to mention your brain cells can only use glucose for energy. IMHO, it's just all about balance. Carbs are NOT "bad." There are just WAY too many factors to consider when it comes to weight loss, and there is no 1 "right" solution or rule, except maybe calories in/calories out. I've been losing weight this week by being able to factor in beer at 1am. Just gotta find what works for you!
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Too bad chronic ketoacidosis is not ideal for the body. Not to mention your brain cells can only use glucose for energy. IMHO, it's just all about balance. Carbs are NOT "bad." There are just WAY too many factors to consider when it comes to weight loss, and there is no 1 "right" solution or rule, except maybe calories in/calories out. I've been losing weight this week by being able to factor in beer at 1am. Just gotta find what works for you!

You are confusing Ketosis and ketoacidosis..............2 totally different scenarios here.

Ketosis is perfectly normal and healthy.

Ketoacidosis is not healthy and a severe health concern. This usually only happens to severe diabetics who don't have their insulin levels under control and are not controlling their carbs..........

Please read and research, major misinformation!!!
  • BrittanyGQ
    BrittanyGQ Posts: 92 Member
    Options

You are confusing Ketosis and ketoacidosis..............2 totally different scenarios here.

Ketosis is perfectly normal and healthy.

Ketoacidosis is not healthy and a severe health concern. This usually only happens to severe diabetics who don't have their insulin levels under control and are not controlling their carbs..........

Please read and research, major misinformation!!!

I'm talking about the pathological state of ketoacidosis which can occur from prolonged ketosis. I don't know if you can consider ketosis "healthy" seeing as liver glycogen is depleted, and the brain can't use fatty acids. I'll admit I don't know much about the low-carb diets, but from my understanding (I majored in bio and chem, btw) the "goal" is to have the body in a chronic state of ketosis...thus, ketoacidosis can develop. Sorry, just my 2 cents...I just advocate everything in moderation! :smile:
  • StabR80
    StabR80 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    What I heard was, blah blah blah blah blah beer for lunch! blah blah...

LoL me too!