Musings on my new Polar FT4 HRM

Options
jbug100
jbug100 Posts: 406 Member
just tried my new HRM yesterday and here's my review. Monitor fits and works well. Some of the cardio machines at my gym (particularly life fitness machines) are compatible with the polar HRM which means that you don't have to grab the hand grips of the machine in order for the machine to continuously display your HR. Just means you don't have to keep looking at watch to check your HR...kinda nice. The bad news...cardio machines and MFP over-estimate my cardio cals by about 14% according to the polar calculations. No surprise there. I've read that many times on these boards. The good news...according to the polar, I have been way underestimating my strength training cals. I burned 450 cals during my hardest 55 minute strength routine (no breaks between sets). I have been underestimating those cals by at least 50%! All in all, the polar ft4 gets my thumbs up.

Replies

• Jenni268
    Jenni268 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Does the FT4 have the chest strap? If so, how does it fit, feel? I'm looking into getting an FT4 (when I get the money) and want to make sure it's comfortable or I won't wear it. :)
  • jbug100
    jbug100 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Does the FT4 have the chest strap? If so, how does it fit, feel? I'm looking into getting an FT4 (when I get the money) and want to make sure it's comfortable or I won't wear it. :)

It does have a chest strap. It feels fine and comfy. It may take some getting used to if you have never worn one. It is elastic and fully adjustable. I didn't feel like I had to have it super snug in order to transmit signal. I am less than endowed in the boob department. I don't know if that makes a difference comfort wise.
  • JennS19
    JennS19 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar HRM!!
  • ebgbjo
    ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I love my FT4! Only thing I HATE, is always having to wet the sensors, and I have to let the sit under water for some time, in order to soak up enough water, to stay wet enough for accurate readings throughout my 45-60min workout
  • Jenni268
    Jenni268 Posts: 202 Member
    Options

It does have a chest strap. It feels fine and comfy. It may take some getting used to if you have never worn one. It is elastic and fully adjustable. I didn't feel like I had to have it super snug in order to transmit signal. I am less than endowed in the boob department. I don't know if that makes a difference comfort wise.

Thanks for the info! I'll probably be purchasing an FT4, as I've heard mostly good things about them! Oh, and I'm not quite sure anyone could be less endowed than me, so I should be good with the strap! :)

And thanks, ebgbjo, for the info on the water! Is it enough of an irritation to not buy it and get a different model?
  • ebgbjo
    ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    No, not at all. Definitely get it
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    All heart rate monitor straps need to be wet under the sensors to consistently detect your heart rate.