From 295 to ONEderland!

Options
I made it to ONEderland today! At my heaviest I weighed in at 295+. I say plus, because at 295 I quit looking at a scale all together. I just didn't know what else to do since everything I had tried was not working. It wasn't that I ate too much.... It was that I actually was not eating enough and the things I did eat were the wrong things.

Last year at the beginning of April, My karate instructor approached me and told me that I had hit a point where my weight was not going to allow me to progress any further in karate. I knew this conversation would eventually come up, so I was not surprised or blind sided when it did. What I didn't completely expect was for him to have a plan for me. This wasn't "Goodbye, it's been nice knowing you"... This was let's fix this and get you moving forward again. Wow. How easy it could have been for him to wash his hand of the overweight Mom of two.... but he didn't. I use to always joke that he was like a bossy little brother to me and here he was acting like family. Can you imagine how weird and ackward it was for him to even have to bring this up to me?

He got me talking with his Dad who was doing a lifestyle change with his Mom and they both were seeing amazing results. I could see in their progress that the plan was a good one....but I didn't believe that it would really work for me because nothing had ever worked for me and they were already healthy people. I was not.

April 19, 2010 I started on this lifestyle change. Posting a daily blog about what I ate and my weight at www.shrinkingninja.wordpress.com

By May, I had dropped 25lbs and successfully tested for my Brown Belt in karate.

Today I hit 199.7! I am in ONEderland!

I still have 50-55lbs to go to get to what the BMI charts say I need to be, but I know it is just a matter of when. It is no longer an IF.

It hasn't always been easy. I weigh every morning and sometimes the scale can dictate my mood for the day. That is something I am trying to let go.

I can tell you this though. I am so glad that I got fat in the first place. When I was in grade school, high school.... there was nothing wrong with me. I can see that now...but then I could not. I saw fat that wasn't there and I drove myself to be what my mind said I was with all kinds of crazy crash diets. Now, that I have truly been fat... I can appreciate every little step in the right direction. I love myself everyday....although some days more than others. LOL

WE can do this people! WE can regain control of our lives! WE can get healthy! WE are on our way!

LET'S DO THIS!

1669481_5328.jpg

Replies

• sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I too dream of Onederland. :love:
  • kristarablue
    Options
    Onederland must be a dreamy place. Congrats you have totally earned it! And kudos to your karate instructor, he must care about you greatly, it takes a strong person to have that conversation and stick with you for the long run. Awesome.
  • time2runnn
    time2runnn Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    What an inspiration you are!! CONGRATS! :smile:
  • ANeWcRe8N
    ANeWcRe8N Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    wow thats great.. congrats.. I know that has got to be a great feeling. You have a lot to be proud of and in no time you'll be at your goal. Thanks for sharing your story, it was inspiring :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Isawau
    Isawau Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    congrats!!!
    You look awesome way to go!!
    I hope I myself be in onederland soon just 6 more pounds:-)
    Keep up the great work your doing!!
  • SweetTooth68
    SweetTooth68 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your success so far! I know what you mean when you say you are glad you got fat - I never appreciated my body at 150 and always thought I was so huge and revolting. Now even at over 200 still, I am getting much better at loving this body I have right now, because I know what it feels like to weigh so much you can't even bend over to tie your shoes. Apparently I needed to hit that high number on the scale in order to finally decide enough was enough! I look forward to hearing your success story when you reach your final goal!
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Gees, I choked up reading about your compassionate karate instructor. Also, your willingness to have an open heart and ears to hear his message come through as helpful and not hurtful. What a fantastic moment.

How fantastic that you've reached ONEderland!!! Hopefully lots of us will be meeting you there soon.

Congratulations on reaping the reward of all your hard work and dedication!
  • d_smith85
    d_smith85 Posts: 94
    Options
    Congratulations!! you're looking AMAZING! Keep up the great work!

Hey, how do you post pictures on here?
  • JMRGrant
    JMRGrant Posts: 67
    Options
    WOW! You're looking great! Keep up the good work.
  • VenturaGurl
    VenturaGurl Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    You have really made great progress!!

Sometimes it's not the family you're born with, but the family you find along the way who are the most inspiring!!! :happy:
  • karanmwk
    karanmwk Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Your story is so inspiring! Thanks so much for sharing! :flowerforyou:
    5421845.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • khrys1
    khrys1 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Great job on all your hard work and your success!
  • HungryMom
    HungryMom Posts: 280
    Options
    Congratulations!!! And thank you for sharing your story.
  • bubblznfun
    bubblznfun Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    What an inspiring story!! Thanks so much for sharing.
  • ShrinkingNinja
    ShrinkingNinja Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! you're looking AMAZING! Keep up the great work!

Hey, how do you post pictures on here?

Upload your picture to your profile.... Then go to it and right click on it and copy the url of the image.... Then do the following:

[ img ]URL OF YOUR IMAGE HERE[ /img ]

Just don't put the spaces in the brackets
  • ShrinkingNinja
    ShrinkingNinja Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the support!
  • AngelsKisses75
    AngelsKisses75 Posts: 595 Member
    Options

WE can do this people! WE can regain control of our lives! WE can get healthy! WE are on our way!

Congrats on ONEderland! I too dream of such a place, and stories like yours keep me on my path knowing that it exists and I too can find it! Thank you for sharing your riches with us! :heart:
  • adriannz
    adriannz Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm one away from ONEderland myself! (After a starting point of 280.) This is definitely inspiration enough to reach my own ONEderland by Wendesday. AWESOME job. You look amazing!
  • ukjessi
    ukjessi Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    What an awesome instructor to come to you with a plan to help (as opposed to just being negative and sending you away)!

But, even more inspirational is your decision to make the change!!! You look FABULOUS! Hitting ONEderland is going to be a dream for me, too!

Keep up the great work! Can't wait to see the pictures of you at goal. :)
  • brayaddie
    brayaddie Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    What an accomplishment!! That is near 100+ lbs weigh loss!! WOW! You must feel great! I can't wait until my Onederland! It's sooo close I can seee it.... =)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!