Impulsive start - but i finally started

Options
I am 44. Worked out all through my 20's and into my mid 30's in between having my 6 boys. I have always been able to maintain staying under 150 lbs, size 10 - 12'ish.

But . . . . . . Gained 50 lbs in the last 2 years after having to relocated from NY to IL for my husbands job. Depression was overwhelming and I found myself drinking beer to cope and calm my nerves, which added weight which made me even more depressed.

I thought about how heavy I was getting, and thought about changing and losing weight all the time, but I just couldn't get myself to start. Kept setting "start dates" after a holiday or an upcoming function or a weekend, or the superbowl or this or that when I knew i would be . . . . well, indulgent in food and drinkg. I didn't have the willpower or dicipline to change.

I read a quote that said "the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome". I was depressed, drinking and fantasizing about losing the weight, but not doing anything different to make it happen.

Until March 17th -- no i didn't indulge in green beer - on a whim, i walked into a Cardinal Fitness place that was right down the street from where I work. I was on my lunch, saw it, pulled in, went in and signed a contract to meet with a personal trainer for 36 sessions and committed to coming on my lunch of the off days and doing cardio. It was like I was on auto pilot. But I committed and I started with Robin, my trainer March 21st. This is the end of the first week. I am very sore. But feel very good about working out every day this week and watching what I ate -- and minimal beer which included a switch from a regular beer to a low cal beer (Friday night only) =)

I found this site this morning by accident when i was searching the web to find nutritional information about the lbs of crab legs (no butter) that I had last night. I've been keeping a written food diary. This site will make my food and exercise tracking SOOOOO much easier!!! This is awesome!

So here's to not acting like an overweight insane person anymore!! LOL

Replies

• TiDinzeo
    TiDinzeo Posts: 309
    Options
    Congrats, the first step is the most important. Without it you get nowhere.