How far in advance do you start training for a marathon

Options
I recently posted a topic about marathons. And thanks to those who answered i found some very awesome info! thanks again!! I plan to do a half marathon first. To those who have ran one, how far in advance did you start training for your 1st half. A plant that i found said it was a training plan for 12 weeks. I am just new to this...so anything would help. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• whittrusty
    whittrusty Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I'm training for my first 10K next Saturday and my first half marathon in October. I plan to start training for it immediately after my 10K. I say, the sooner, the better!
  • leb89
    leb89 Posts: 54
    Options
    I'm about to use Hai Higdon's training, which starts you 18 weeks before marathon.

http://www.halhigdon.com/marathon/Mar00index.htm
  • campi_mama
    campi_mama Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what kind of running base you have. Most training plans are about 10-12 weeks long. You want to make sure you don't increase your weekly mileage too quickly so you avoid injury. marathonrookie.com has a good half (and full) marathon training plan. I did my first half without following a training plan and felt like CRAP when I was done and got really sick post-race. The second time I followed a plan and finished with a PR and felt absolutely fantastic. FOLLOW A TRAINING PLAN :wink:
  • naolson
    naolson Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    hi! I have done 6 1/2 marathons, and one full. I would say once you are able to run a 10k give yourself 12 weeks from there to start training for a 1/2. Hope this helps....let me know what other questions you have. I love to run, it is a passion of mine!!
  • valeriebpdx
    valeriebpdx Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Most standard marathon plans are 18 weeks, but they assume you have a good running base. This means that you're running comfortably 3-5 days a week, and the first week your long run is usually about 10 miles. So if you're not to that point yet, you need to get running regularly (5 days is too many for me, 3-4 I feel healthier) and slowly build up to 10 mi at a time (increasing by 1 mile a week). If you are already there, 18 weeks gets you ready at a healthy progression without increasing your mileage too fast. If you do a half and want to keep training from there, I would not try to get away with any less than 12-14 weeks of marathon-specific training, especially if this is your first. I wish you a healthy and wonderful marathon training period!

ETA, I didn't read your post carefully enough and assumed you meant a full marathon. Sorry--I know much less about half-specific training.
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I have a 26 week zero to half plan if you want it. Friend of mine gave it to me....
  • michis05
    michis05 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Awesome thanks yall!! I run 3 times a week between 2-5 miles...i do have one day where i do one long run...last week i did 4 and this week i did 5..and it feels amazing!!! thank again!! i will def. be sticking to a plan!
  • cacrat
    cacrat Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    The quickest I did mine in was 8 weeks. But I already had a decent base of running under my belt. I'd say 16 weeks of training progressively will get you there and probably faster than your current pace.

Good luck!