Exercising for those who are at home...

Options
I am unemployed currently, and am taking most of my classes online which leaves me a LOT of time on my hands at home. I am having a hard time getting motivated to exercise. I almost do better with a really busy schedule, because then I have to structure my time so well that exercise gets a time slot secured. How do you work on finding motivation and not just pushing it off to "oh i'll do that LATER today"

Anyone else have any ideas?

Replies

• TiDinzeo
    TiDinzeo Posts: 309
    Options
    I think what you need to do is set aside a time every day that is for exercise. Personally, I don't have a problem with motivation now that I'm working out at home. I have a rower and I also use Wii fit and I find it enjoyable.
  • Okmoose
    Okmoose Posts: 10
    Options
    When you first think about exercising get up and do it, don't wait for later. You will feel better the rest of the day.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I don't set a "scheduled time" to exercise. If I have free time, I'll just start working out. Once you've started, there's really no point in stopping until you're done. Keeping busy is better than vegging out, obviously. I take my free time as freedom to work out at will.
  • aeckels616
    aeckels616 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    What helps me is to keep it "new" to keep my interest. Sometimes that means a new workout DVD or trying a type of exercise I've never done before, sometime a new playlist for jogging. New weights, new workout clothes, shoes, whatever. Just something fresh.
  • DaddyMantz
    DaddyMantz Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    If you write down your goals and look at them every day, you are very, very likely to achieve them. For instance, "I run three miles every week" or "I lift weights three every Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday". Once you have followed your goal for 21-30 days, it will be a habit.
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I know hw it feels, I am home all day most days without car, etc.

I just found something I liked doing....for me it is dance. Sometimes I just turn on music and stretch, sometimes get going alot faster!! I wear a heart rate monitor so I know what kind of calories I'm burning, etc. And I like my own music selection.

But I guess there is real big secret, I just have to make myself get up and do it because I don't like the alternative.

Best wishes to you my friend, hope you can find what works for you :flowerforyou:
  • kje2011
    kje2011 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Set your phone as reminder or alarm for exercise time :)
  • bayles1
    bayles1 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Hey,

I try to get outside as much as possible.The fresh air is so great for good health and plus you get to meet people,even if its just to say a quick Hi to.You would be surprised just how many people are out there doing the same as you,whether it be going for a run,walking at fast paces or just having a leisurely walk.I try to vary my walks not only on routes but depending on the time that I have to spare,they vary from 40 minutes up to two hours and of course they can be measured to how your feeling at the time,so if you feel great get out there and have a blast,if your tired then just have a nice slow unwinding walk.The main thing though is just to keep on the move.
    Good Luck and best wishes...:smile:
  • shulaw
    shulaw Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    i tend to work out at home in the morning then its done and out of the way for teh day thought today is an execption am working up the energy to do them lol
  • Gargoyle69
    Gargoyle69 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    P90X - like Tony Horton says, the hardest thing is popping the DVD in, the rest will follow.
  • khrys1
    khrys1 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    If you do best on a schedule, then schedule exercise into your day so that you'll do it. On the "what to do" front, there are TONS of awesome workout DVDs out there (some you can even just get through Netflix). If you have enough money/space, I REALLY find my treadmill useful (and it folds up pretty small). I set up a TV/VCR/DVD player in front of it, and motivate myself to keep going while watching Biggest Loser or movies.... Good luck to you!