tips for a student?

Options
As a college student, I find a couple of things to be hard when it comes to dieting. First, I am sometimes forced to skip a meal when I don't have any breaks between my classes. I know it's bad for my metabolism to eat two bigger meals a day, but what are my other options?
Before class, my carpool usually stops by McDonalds, so it's much more convenient to grab an Egg McMuffin since I hardly have any time in the morning to make anything.
Another problem is grocery shopping. I'm flat out broke, and when I head to the grocery store, it's very tempting to buy pre-packaged meals as opposed to fresh seafood. What are some healthy meals that I can prepare without costing too much?

Replies

• intuitively_healthy
    Options
    I'm a student too! I love tuna and beans (I get pink beans in sauce by Goya, they're in the ethnic food aisle) with Wheat Thins (reduced fat). I combine 10 oz tuna and 1 can beans, then eat it with 1 serving of the Wheat Thins. It's pretty cheap (one recipe of this feeds me for an entire class week for lunch) and it's only 237 calories per serving. :)

As far as skipping meals, to keep your metabolism going, I'd suggest keeping healthy snacks in your school bag. That always seems to do the trick for me. :)

Good luck! lemme know if you need anything else :)
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    First up, an egg mcmuffin isnt a horrendous choice - protein, carbs, and comes in at under 300 cals. Skip the hash brown and OJ, and you're OK!

Snack wise, get yourself a big bag of raw almonds, and portion them into 25 almond bags/ tubs, that you can always carry with you. Great nutrients for a touch over 100 cals.

meal wise - pasta and a tomato and veg based sauce. A little parmesan cheese will add loads of flavour.
  • arodriguez24
    arodriguez24 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Protein Bars and trial mix or just nuts are quick and convenient you can take them during class. Sometimes in the morning you can make a quick protein shake like a myoplex. Chicken breast is cheap and makes a lot of servings, some whole wheat bread and vegetables aren't to costly either.
  • craek
    craek Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Get things that you can take a long with you to class. I am also a student and this is what I do. You need to fuel your body. Take an apple or bananas. You can also find other goodies that are low in cals to take.
  • krise31
    krise31 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hmm I'm in school and we are allowed to eat during classes. All my classes give a 10-15 minute break between lectures anyway. I usually have a bottle of water with me at all times and a granola bar to eat while in class. You can also pair it with some type of fruit. Longer days like Fridays where I have classes all day from 9:10 am till 9:30 at night I plan the night before. I bring 2 snacks and my lunch and dinner. Lunch is usually a sandwich of some sort with a piece of fruit. Dinner is usually a protein with salad. I personally shop at Whole foods because its next to my school and I try to keep my diet free of perservatives. But instead of the Mcdonalds you can always grab something in the cafeteria maybe?
  • debbiequack
    debbiequack Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I think there are ways to do what you need to do-- they just take pre-planning and packaging up snacks like carrots, yogurts, nuts for protein, etc...

Good luck,

Debbie
  • trinityj1
    trinityj1 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    It's actually way cheaper to always buy fresh food. If you eat vegetarian or vegan your grocery bills can be 30$ a week or less. I was vegan for about six months (as a diet strategy, not as a lifestyle choice) and I couldn't believe how much money I saved. Vegetables in season are very cheap.
  • botang47
    botang47 Posts: 3
    Options
    They popular opinion seems to be bringing bags of snacks. I can't stand nuts (except boiled peanuts but those aren't nuts anyways), so those are out of the questions. I will definitely be trying the tuna and beans recipe. Any other creative suggestions? You guys are awesome.
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    can you eat in class? i used to bring my breakfast to class with me (i'm talking yogurt and granola or toast and PB, i didn't whip out pancakes and syrup or anything)...

i also used to bring snacks (nuts, granola, string cheese, etc) and bring a lunch box with me. i looked silly, but it worked!