Singing burns calories too!

Options
I've noticed that singing isn't registered under cardio like playing instruments is, which I don't think is fair! I play clarinet, but I work a hell of a lot harder when I'm singing than when I'm playing. I reckon I'm burning the equivalent of a woodwind player during my practice and rehearsal time. I had a 5 and a half hour rehearsal today and I worked damn hard!

Anyone out there agree with me?

:)

Replies

• IanGiles
    IanGiles Posts: 54
    Options
    I thnk singing badly should count as the same amount of calrories. I could burn a shed load...
  • mrsdstarks
    Options
    Amen. I am on our church's praise team and I know for sure I work up a sweat. LOL! :)
  • legacysh
    legacysh Posts: 464
    Options
    I am a singer in a couple of bands, and I work up a sweat when I perform, so I give myself about 2/3 of the time that I perform and log it under the playing music standing category.
  • legacysh
    legacysh Posts: 464
    Options
    Calories burned with Standing

Singing In Church, Attending a Ceremony, Standing, Active Participation

136 calories per hour

Assuming a body weight of: 150 lbs

Hust picked this off another website. But I think if you are moving and singing, you burn way more!
  • JulsDiane
    JulsDiane Posts: 349 Member
    Options
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    This is good to know!!! I had an hour rehearsal last night and will be singing and playing guitar in two different churches tomorrow!!!! Probably another two hours then! Love it!
  • RedE4Change
    Options
    You should add it!! My sister is the female vocalist in her church worship band. And sometimes she does back to back services. She is always exhausted after, so it makes sense that you would burn enough to enter it in. :)
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Wear a HRM while singing to get the count. I'd do it, but I don't sing...unless I'm drunk karaoke-ing. Lol.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. I wrote the same on my profile tonight. Singing is an amazing core muscle workout. I spent 4 hours singing today (service this morning, rehearsal this afternoon and a concert this evening), and most definitely haven't done nothing.
  • KierstyPants
    Options
    Wear a HRM while singing to get the count. I'd do it, but I don't sing...unless I'm drunk karaoke-ing. Lol.

HAHAHAH.
    :D
  • AngieMMc
    AngieMMc Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I get to put something else down as burning calories. I have an hour practice every Saturday and I sing in the choir at church and am singing special music tomorrow! Thanks for the info!
  • bcweisen
    bcweisen Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I am a singer in a couple of bands, and I work up a sweat when I perform, so I give myself about 2/3 of the time that I perform and log it under the playing music standing category.

That's the same thing I have done. At least on a long rehearsal/performance day.
  • kawiah
    Options
    For sure! I perform and teach voice, violin, and piano, I give myself a reasonable estimate (even underscore it) for both.
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    This thread saddens me. The amount of calories above BMR while singing can be measured in the dozens tops. Those 100+ calorie totals you're seeing INCLUDE your BMR. which is about 120-180 cal/hour.

If you're seriously thinking of logging something like this I honestly don't know what to say aside from you're in serious denial about your activity level.
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I thnk singing badly should count as the same amount of calrories. I could burn a shed load...

It does!....you burn a lot more...mostly when people around are running after you to make you stop lol (kidding)
  • swashburn3
    swashburn3 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    This thread saddens me. The amount of calories above BMR while singing can be measured in the dozens tops. Those 100+ calorie totals you're seeing INCLUDE your BMR. which is about 120-180 cal/hour.

If you're seriously thinking of logging something like this I honestly don't know what to say aside from you're in serious denial about your activity level.

Haha. What a reply! I say log everything! At the very least you are getting to know yourself more as a person, and maybe you'll also be more motivated to do more physically demanding activities. But Jynus is right about being careful about calorie stats that include the BMR in them.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    i burned a crap ton of calories on the drive home then
  • happypath101
    Options
    Hey - I never thought about that. I was trained in voice (it was my major) and I know that there's a HUGE difference between car kareoke or humming a tune around the garden and full on vocalization. That probably does burn calories. Mind you, from the size of some of our best singers, perhaps not as many as we'd like.

(FYI: I found guitar playing, seated, accoustic under cardio. If I can feel it in my shoulders when I'm done, I might log it.)

:O)
  • leejayem
    leejayem Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Wow!!!! I am home with little ones & I feel as though I spend half my day singing - from the "Wheels on the Bus" to "How much is that doggy in the Window?" Plus singing at church, plus my hubby & I are practicing atm for a wedding we're singing at in 2 weeks. But the only exercise I add is when I walk or run, go on the trampoline, or do weights - I don't add standing up for hours on end or crawling around the floor with my son or playing chasings with my kids. Should I be adding all these??
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Again, to sink this point home for all you folks. THIS IS NOT EXERCISE. DO NOT LOG SINGING. SERIOUSLY...

Why you ask? Calorie counters include your BMR. so vast majority of those calories you're seeing as burned from singing are actually burned from existing. Lets take a gander at a counter site and see.

http://www.my-calorie-counter.com/Calories_Burned.asp

160lbs person sitting = ~100cal/h
    160lbs person standing = ~131cal/h
    160lbs person sitting singing = ~110cal/h
    160lbs person standing singing = ~145cal/h

TOTAL CALORIE BURN FROM SINGING: ~11-15 calories per hour

So for the love of all that is holy, don't log anything more than a dozen calories/hour from singing if at all. you're seriously deluding yourself if you think you're actually expending a serious amount of calories....