Vegetarian picnic suggestions?

Options
msarro
msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
So, we're going to the beach this weekend with a couple of friends. Out of the group, I'm the sole meat eater, which means the menu is vegetarian. Not a problem for me, I love vegetarian food. However, most of what I make has to be cooked or refridgerated. SO as you could guess, that'll lead to some issues. So far I was thinking spinach artichoke dip and some bread (the tostitos kind - not healthy, but its a special occasion and calories aren't going to be my big focus PLUS it doesn't require refridgeration). Also, some cheap wine is a given, something like arbor mist where being warm won't really ruin it.

What about real food though? Like, main courses? Desserts aren't too tough, but the main courses I'm not clear on. Any suggestions would be awesome!

Replies

• msarro
    Options
    So, we're going to the beach this weekend with a couple of friends. Out of the group, I'm the sole meat eater, which means the menu is vegetarian. Not a problem for me, I love vegetarian food. However, most of what I make has to be cooked or refridgerated. SO as you could guess, that'll lead to some issues. So far I was thinking spinach artichoke dip and some bread (the tostitos kind - not healthy, but its a special occasion and calories aren't going to be my big focus PLUS it doesn't require refridgeration). Also, some cheap wine is a given, something like arbor mist where being warm won't really ruin it.

What about real food though? Like, main courses? Desserts aren't too tough, but the main courses I'm not clear on. Any suggestions would be awesome!
  • sherrykubena
    Options
    Are they vegan as well? If not, quiche is a possibility. Of course, stir-fry is always a good choice or pasta dishes as a hot dish or as a salad gives you a number of options. I always like to use the whole wheat pastas.
  • msarro
    Options
    Nope, not vegan, just vegeterian. They also drink milk/eat dairy, so its ok.
  • maggierex
    maggierex Posts: 59
    Options
    kel's couscous salad (got the recipe from trader joe's)
    (whole wheat) couscous
    feta
    red and green bell pepper
    chick peas
    make a vinaigrette w/lemon juice and olive oil

it is so good and refreshing! it can be served warm or cold. i make a huge batch over the weekend so i can give everyone leftovers :)
  • jlauren6
    jlauren6 Posts: 209
    Options
    Any veggie in a pita pocket is delish, but here is my fav...

1 can black beans
    1 can corn
    1 can crushed tomatoes with basil
    1 tbs agave nector
    splash of lemon juice

I saute everything together and put in a whole wheat pita with some fat free sour cream on top!
    Can be eaten with pita chips also, hot or cold!
  • calatibo
    calatibo Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    can do mini pizza, Basically you just cook the bases the day before and keep them in the fridge, then thinly slice tomatoes (good if the bases are kind of the same size as the tomato slices, beef toms are good for that) and some buffallo mozzarella balls, drizzle of olive oil and some dried herbs, take it all with you and people can build it themselves. also good with a salad, and because it is cold you can add lettuce and things, makes it an open sandwich really i suppose.

If you have a salad, then (as you will be well aware) don't put the dressing on before you leave, take it in a small jar with you, as it will make the salad soggy while you travel. If you do that you can also mix it up with a couple of home made dressings rather than just one.

Other veggie non cook things...quiche was mentioned, i love quiche...i love pies, you could do a nice country veg pie the night before and take it with you. as they are not vegans the "ploughmans" option is kind of open, lots of nice cheeses and bread with the salad.

I tend to find having a few options, pizza, pie, quiche, salad, cheese, pasta salads and let everyone just fire into whatever they want to make their own main meals works.

I love the pitta bread idea too.

as it's the beach, what's wrong with taking a disposable BBQ with you, or building a small fire and cooking on that. nothing complicated, just your regular veggie BBQ stuff?