do we HAVE to eat our exercise calories?

awelch79
awelch79 Posts: 233 Member
edited September 25 in Health and Weight Loss
So, my calorie intake is supposed to be around 1220 for a 2 lb loss per week (high goals, but aim for the stars and you end up among the clouds-right??)
Anyway-my exercise calories were at 646 for the day (Pilates and Zumba classes) giving me a total of 1866 calories for the day.

It makes sense to me that you dont have to eat those extra calories and you would lost weight faster and more efficiently. BUT it also makes sense that you would need to eat a little more to not starve your body after exercise. What do you think? If we eat our exercise calories, are we still on target with our 5 week projected weightloss?

Replies

• Good question awelch.

I have not been eating all of my exercise calories that I notice. i notice that on the days that i don't eat them all I get a projected 5 week weight that is lower than the days that i do eat them all. I think as long as you eat enough that you won't starve yourself it may not be necessary to eat all of the calories.

I look forward to seeing what others have to say about this.
  • lnfowler887
    lnfowler887 Posts: 18 Member
    I have the same issue. Many days I don't even come close to the 1380 that's projected for me. When I exercise I definitely don't come close!
  • canroadrunner
    canroadrunner Posts: 203 Member
    Eat your exercise calories. Take a look in the message boards, there is a long post about your body going into starvation mode and how you can lose your metabolism. It's a scary, cautionary tale.
    I have the same problem trying to eat all my calories. It goes against everything I've been taught but since I've read that, I'm right now thinking about how to eat 400 calories before bedtime.
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    There's no one-size-fits-all answer

Here's the best info I've found on deciding the right answer for you
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/TrainerRobin/view/myth-or-fact-calories-in-versus-calories-out-3500-calories-one-pound-and-should-i-eat-my-exercise-calories-62012

Accurate calorie counting is important too.
  • gatedialer
    gatedialer Posts: 149 Member
    I always make sure I have eaten a total of 1200 calories a day, even when I do work out but will not completely eat the amount of calories burned. Does this make sense? lol
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    You are on 1220 cals you burn off 600 + due to exercise that leaves your body to survive on less than 600 a day. Not good IMHO
  • jen1516
    jen1516 Posts: 77 Member
    Someone else recently mentioned something in another post that I didn't even think about. mfp already counts you burning calories at your rest period just for living. So if you work out some calories were already counted in, so I wouldn't eat quite all of them back. I don't think I explained that very well, but I hope you know what I mean.
  • awelch79
    awelch79 Posts: 233 Member
    You are on 1220 cals you burn off 600 + due to exercise that leaves your body to survive on less than 600 a day. Not good IMHO

That actually makes perfect sense! That and the article about starvation mode totally makes sense to me. I burn at least 400 calories a day and have hit plateau after plateau...and noticed that I do better when I eat healthier, smaller snacks more often. I also love the post about trying to find 400 calories before bed! Me, too...I think there is a SkinnyCow calling my name from my freezer!
This discussion has been closed.