sodium overdose!

Options
Normally, I'm RREEEAALLY good with staying below 1,700 sodium.
But the past few days I've been craving soups and just have no motivation to make things at home and, like right now, caved and had pizza. So my sodium has nearly doubled the past 4 days, and tomorrow will too, because I'm going to olive garden with the family.
I feel icky and bloated and just want to sleep. does such a high sodium intake effect me long term for these few days? after i'm going to get on my sodium like a hawk again. but just need the reassurance that I can fix this and won't have any bad effects after about 3 days of being in 'normal' sodium range.

Also.
anyone have any articles on the effects sodium has on your body? <3 I'd love to read them!

Replies

• Vanishing_Gordies
    Options
    Bump
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    You may feel funky for a couple days until it all flushes out of your system. Just drink extra fluid to get everything moving!
  • tamheath
    tamheath Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Water, water, water! Lots of water will help! :drinker:
  • AbiNichole
    AbiNichole Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Been there. Done that. Don't weigh in for a few days. Your body will likely use the extra sodium to retain water weight so you've prob gained a little or maintained. Give your body a few days to get back to normal before braving the scale. Up your water intake a bunch! Gotta get that salt out of your system. Hope that helps. :flowerforyou:
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    i've personally noticed i feel kinda crappy, physically, as well for a day or two after i have a high sodium day/meal... but it seems the effects (including water retention) are gone by 3rd day.

That's just me though... (and yeah i make sure to get lots of extra water during those first 2 days to help flush stuff *L*)

Not sure what the medical info is... just the way i myself 'feel' *L*
  • Dreamerlove
    Dreamerlove Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Salt is the devil!!!!!!! I had too much salt today too. I'm no expert but experience for me is it may or may not effect your loss this week, but it will be gone in a couple of days. You are supposed to drink half your body weight in ounces a day..so just drink that plus some. And when you got to pee, go pee b/c you are getting rid of the salt. I weigh 137 so I drink about 70 oz a day, It will help a lot!
  • TuscanySun
    TuscanySun Posts: 3,608 Member
    Options
    Drink water with lots of lemon juice. It works better than just water to flush the sodium out. Also, eat things high in potassium, which also does the same thing. Yogurt, prunes, bananas etc.
  • Mahlissa
    Mahlissa Posts: 128
    Options
    I agree with the previous posters as well. Drink lots of water. I can get sluggish, tired and sometimes my blood pressure even goes up. I hate it when I overdose on sodium. I am usually pretty vigilant, but something simple as a small bag of pretezels will be thousands of mgs in sodium :( . I ate some today and I am payng the price now.

good luck, feel better.
  • steph5565
    steph5565 Posts: 36
    Options
    Sounds like you typically do a good job with your sodium intake and, in that case, should be back to normal within a few days with increased water intake. Habitually eating too much salt is really bad on your kidneys, but all of us get too much every once in a while. I like Bikram yoga to clear out my system (yoga in a 105 degree, 60% humidity room that will make you sweat all the salt out!), and I have also heard that eating foods that are slight diuretics will help (leeks, in particular).

Also, if you're craving soups - make your own! It's really easy to make your own broth and one batch can be frozen to make weeks worth of delicious soups (plus, you control the sodium content and know that there's no MSG). Simply take a chicken carcass, throw in some vegetables and herbs, cover with water and simmer for 4-6 hours. Remove the solids, chill, remove the fat and voila! perfect soup base! When you want soup you just pour in a few cups and add vegetables, noodles, or meat and it's ready in minutes!